GPU Compute Software
Ask questions about Intel® Graphics Compute software technologies, such as OpenCL* GPU driver and oneAPI Level Zero
163 Discussions

At random moments the screen freezes and the sound disappears (ARC 770)

nsr
Beginner

At random moments (not necessarily under load), my sound begins to distort and literally after 2 seconds the screen freezes. Because of this problem, I lost progress several times in a running program, because the only way I found to solve this problem was to restart the PC through the button on the case... I don’t even know why this happens. Now I play very rarely, but I noticed that nothing freezes during the game, but when I work in light programs like Photoshop, it can freeze. I tried the key combination to restart the driver (Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B), nothing happened. I understand that I am giving little information, but I can’t even record a video, because it won’t be preserved after freezing. I also want to say that freezing can occur either after 4 hours of operation or after 10 minutes. (I also want to say that I’ve been having a problem with Discord for a month now; it immediately crashes when I launch it; support told me that this is due to the fact that the Windows version is outdated, although I checked all the updates and there are no new ones, maybe this will help you understand what's the matter, that's my problem)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TylerZach900
New Contributor I

The disruption caused by sound distortion followed by screen freezing is affecting both your work and leisure activities. As the issue occurs randomly and isn't confined to particular tasks or usage scenarios, it suggests there could be several underlying causes.

If you're comfortable doing so, checking hardware components like RAM, GPU, and CPU temperatures could also be beneficial, as overheating can sometimes lead to similar symptoms.

Try these settings:

1. Update your drivers, You can do this through the Device Manager or by visiting the manufacturer's website (if you're using an intel GPU)
  2. Overheating can cause your system to freeze. Make sure your PC is well-ventilated and check if the fans are working properly.
  3. Use built-in diagnostic tools to check for hardware issues, if you're using dell system, you can use Dell SupportAssist
  4. Run chkdsk in the command prompt to check for disk errors and sfc /scannow to repair system files.
  5. Use tools like MemTest86 to check for memory issues.
  6. Boot your computer in Safe Mode to see if the issue persists. This will load only essential drivers and services
  7. Disable hardware acceleration in applications where possible, as this can sometimes cause issues.
  8. Adjust your power settings to High Performance to ensure your CPU is not throttling.
  9. Check if there's a BIOS update available for your motherboard.

For Discord crashes, you need to update your windows, as Discord support suggested that an outdated version could be causing the issue. Corrupted cache files can cause Discord to crash. Clearing the cache might resolve this. If you're running Discord in compatibility mode, try disabling it. If the issue is the same, a fresh install can sometimes fix crashing issues. Discord uses hardware acceleration by default. Disabling it might help if Discord is crashing. Switching to the Legacy Audio Subsystem in Discord's Voice & Video settings can help if crashes occur during voice chat.

back up your data before making any significant changes to your system.

Hope it helps

Tyler

0 Kudos