Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20791 Discussions

4k supported but not available

roelandvanbeek

Intel Control Panel says my display supports 4K yet I can't select it.

I got a new 4K display to connect my laptop to, but I can't get it to run at 4K. My older laptop connecting over the same dock to the same display does run at 4K. But the new one just sticks to "1920x1280 (recommended)".  The 4K mode is not available in the list, not via the Intel Control Panel and not via Windows. 

I opened the Intel Control Panel and found a complete list of supported modes there, including 40K over 30Hz, as expected. It also gives a green checkmark that my display supports 4K. Yet I still can't choose it. 

I don't understand where this is going wrong, who can point me in the right direction?

PC: Dell XPS 13 Plus / 9320

Chipset: i7-1260P

Windows 11

Display: Philips 276E8V

USB-dock: i-TEC metal nano docking, supporting 4K@30Hz

Connecting over HDMI cable supporting 4K@60Hz

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

Thanks for waiting for a response

I understand you are getting errors generating the reports but it is important to check what the driver/GPU is detecting. As mentioned before I can not promise higher resolutions when using docking stations even though other systems work, we can not assure all the systems do.

As you mentioned signal is converted and there is no way to know how it is converted, how this can affect the EDID reader from the monitor, how bandwidth is limited and other things that could affect the resolutions.

So, can you delete and reinstall the IGCC app to see if you can generate the reports as requested before? if even after that the issue still happens and no way to get the reports I can inform you that in any case I will investigate but need to set expectations about adapters/dongles and the importance to confirm if the same happens straight connected because to checking out for driver issues we will use straight connections.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek

Dear Jean,

I deleted and reinstalled the IGCC app but it still gives the same error message. I really wish I could generate a diagnostics report but if the app won't let me I don't see how I could. Is there anything else we could try to get the report?

Could you tell me a bit more about the straight connection Intel recommends for testing? Is this a cable from USB-C to HDMI with an integrated adapter? I cannot find any major brand selling such a cable. 

Kind regards,

Roeland

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You couldn't find a manufacturer for USB-C-to-HDMI cables? There are literally *hundreds*! Look on Amazon.

...S

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek

I know, there are very many. However, none of the major computer brands (Dell, HP, etc) sell such cables, only adapters. The cables on Amazon are not made by reputable brands, as far as I can see. And these are not just copper wires, they have integrated electronics and firmware which could cause their own problems.

So here's Intel asking me to buy a converter cable from an unspecified third party because it doesn't support adapters, while my computer manufacturer (Dell) only offers adapters. That doesn't seem right.

If I decide to invest in a new cable because that's necessary to fix the driver issue, I want this to be a cable of which no one can say that it's unsupported.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel's statement is around the fact that so many of these adapters or hubs or docks - and yes, integrated cables too - are the actual cause of the problem. This happened so often that Intel finally introduced the expectation that the problem be shown to occur without the adapter in the picture. If they cannot, then the manufacturer for the adapter - or cable - is responsible for proving that their product is not responsible.

I happen to agree with this expectation. Too often, these companies either produce garbage products or make baloney claims regarding what these product can support and, when they don't meet expectations, dump their customers - who paid for support - here to Intel for help. I say make them provide the support that you paid for. When they dump you here, you are one tiny voice in a mass of other voices and the priority of your issue is infinitesimal as a result. If they took the time to support you properly and actually validated their products and reported any issues that they believe Intel is responsible for, to Intel, via the escalation paths that they have for this purpose, the issue would get a much higher priority. But nooooo, it is way easier - and way cheaper! - for them to just immediately say that Intel is responsible and then dump their customers here. So much for the warranty and support you paid for in your purchase - or worse, as an extra charge after the fact.

Off my soapbox now...

...S

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek
Thank you, this is my concern exactly, why I don't want to buy one of the hundreds of cables on Amazon you mention.

I completely understand Intel not supporting third party adapters in any form. Yet I have to connect HDMI to USB C somehow. I'm still looking for a way to do so that's fully compliant and supported, to rule out any compatibility issues. Hence my question.
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

Thanks for your response.

We understand you are looking for clarification on what cable you should use. Intel always recommends using Use straight connections with no video adapters/dongles in between (HDMI to HDMI or USB C to USB C), as we have mentioned before. We also understand that due to hardware limitations, you must use a USB-C to HDMI cable. 

Consider that we don't comment on third-party products, and we can't recommend any type of cable. If you are concerned about compatibility with your device, your system manufacturer is the only one to confirm whether or not a product is compatible with your unit. Our recommendation is to check with your OEM what cables or adapters are compatible.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
roelandvanbeek

Dear Jean,

I understand from your post that you will not be able to give me support for connecting USB-C to HDMI. I have no choice though, because my laptop only has a USB-C/Thunderbolt connector. I hope I'll be able to find help elsewhere. Thank you for your help so far.

Kind regards,

Roeland

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello roelandvanbeek,

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, I can't provide you with a recommendation on a cable you should use. However, as I mentioned in my previous comment, your system manufacturer may give you information about compatible cables and even adapters certified to work with your unit.

As you mentioned that you would reach other sources for help, I will close it now. Keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. If you need additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos