Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20720 Discussions

50Hz custom screen mode

idata
Employee

I have an Asus UX303UA laptop with Intel HD 520 graphics. I would like to add a new custom screen mode: 1920 x 1080 at 50Hz. When I try to do that using the custom resolutions screen of the Intel control panel, I get the error 'exceeds maximum bandwidth capacity'. This is nonsensical since a 60Hz mode at the same resolution already exists, and 50Hz would require less bandwidth. Does anyone know how this mode could be created?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi tcdaly,

Our HD 520 graphics supports refresh rate of 50Hz; however, your laptop manufacturer customizes our graphics driver. It is necessary to confirm with them if the option is available.

Regards,

Mike C
idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply.

The custom resolutions tab of the HD graphics control panel is available to me. However when I add a mode with width = 1920, height = 1080 and refresh rate = 50, I get the error 'the custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity'.

That error surely cannot be correct, as the default mode is the same resolution at 60Hz, and 50Hz would require less, not more, bandwidth. Do you know why that incorrect error might be generated?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi tcdaly,

I regret the inconvenience; however, the resolutions supported by your monitor does not include 1920- 1080@50Hz.

The graphics controller is not allowed to jump monitor specifications yet.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your reply.

Please confirm if you are familiar with the specifications of the panel installed in this laptop, to know that it doesn't support 1920- 1080@50Hz?

Even if the graphics controller was allowed to jump specifications, surely that wouldn't do any good if the monitor doesn't support the required display mode?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi tcdaly,

The monitor contains an internal chip called EDI (Extended Display Identification Data). This chip contains the features and resolutions supported by your display. Your operating system collects the information and sends it to the Intel graphics control panel. The resolutions showed at the control panel are the default supported resolutions by the display.

Now, the system manufacturer (Asus) can modify the supported resolutions in the graphics driver too.

In regards to your questions I am not familiar with the display of your computer and for the second question, you are right the display might get damaged if graphics control panel overclocks up or down display resolutions supported.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info.

Is there any way of viewing the raw EDI data collected by the OS, before any modifications applied by Asus?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi tcdaly,

Yes, it is possible to get the results of EDID using a free tool called: EDID Manager® from Extron Electronics

http://www.extron.com/product/software.aspx?id=edidmanager# supp http://www.extron.com/product/software.aspx?id=edidmanager# supp

It provides a video on how to get info.

NOTE: These links (external links) are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Mike C
0 Kudos