Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20705 Discussions

7" Table with Intel HD Graphics forces all desktop windows to maximize. How to turn off this feature.

BThom10
Beginner

I have a 7" windows tablet that has a Intel HD Graphics chip (1280x800 resolution). The tablet will maximize all desktop program when using the tablet screen but when using HDMI output it will open them without forced maximization. I also have a 8" inch tablet with the same hardware specs that does not exhibit this issue. It seems to be related to the Intel HD graphics driver and a screen of 7" inches. Is there a way to turn off this feature as maximizing the windows automatically causes issues with many programs.

Thanks.

B

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello B, thanks for joining the Intel Community.

Regarding your issue I suggest to contact the system manufacturer since this behavior could be limited by them.

We recommend customer to use the drivers provided by the system manufacturer, because our drivers are generic.

OEMs make a lot of customizations to the drivers and the installation of Intel's drivers could overwrite those customizations. Therefore it will affect your system.

Regards,

CBald4
Beginner

Hi, i register to say I have same problem

My tablet is 7" and all windows are maximized

I contacted the maker of the tablets, and they say is Intel drivers faults, and they cant do nothing to solve this issue

My wife have a 7" windows 8.1 tablet, different maker, and same problem

I uninstall intel drivers, and left default windows drivers, all windows open normal, not maximized

After have the problem, in two different tablets, different maker and test default driver, i can totally confirm is a intel feature that cause the problem

Please, someone from Intel give a answer how to disable the feature because is give me a lot of trouble with software

Thanks!!! (sorry my english)

0 Kudos
BThom10
Beginner

Mine is Winbook TW700. The manufacturer does not provide a Intel driver and allows Windows 8.1 to install the Intel driver. I used the Intel driver finder utility which installed the latest driver and so far all drivers exhibit the same feature. So it definitely in the Intel drivers. Be nice if a driver developer would chime in to look into this issue.

0 Kudos
BThom10
Beginner

Just to test a theory I installed a fresh copy of windows 8.1 (not OEM) and used the latest Intel drivers and the issue shows here also. So it's not an OEM issue as the installed copy was straight from Microsoft and used video driver straight from Intel.

0 Kudos
CBald4
Beginner

Hi, any new news?

Intel dont say nothing about this? or my 7" tablet will have this problem forever?

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Guys, we always recommend customers to download and install the drivers provided by the system manufacture, since our drivers are generic drivers and sometimes these cannot be installed on other systems or the installation of them could overwrite their customizations and possibly change the functionality of the graphics.

0 Kudos
CBald4
Beginner

No ofense, but did you read the messages we write? or this is a generic intel answer?

The system that manufacture my tablet, say is intel drivers fault, and they not provide any solution/drivers, just the intel ones. I explain in first post

The problem are in intel drivers... the intel drivers detect a 7" screen, and activate this property, maximizing all windows

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ vidiot1000,

Could you provide additional information on the 8" tablet? Is it made by the same manufacturer as the 7" tablet? Are all the specs otherwise the same? Could you also provide a DXdiag report for the 8" and 7" tablets?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
JYoun11
Beginner

Can we have any kind of update on this issue?

It is a reasonably big deal for us poor 7 & 8" tablet users who are stuck with Intel HD drivers. It's been 6 weeks since any update from Intel on the situation and I'm seriously considering selling the tablet on and buying something else if it can't be rectified.

0 Kudos
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay, we're cuirrently checking with Microsoft, since this would be mostly an OS issue, we will follow up once we have more information.

0 Kudos
JYoun11
Beginner

... and Microsoft won't give us a reply because they say it's nothing to do with the OS and must be a driver issue...

Ok, time to eBay it I think. Seems a shame as the hardware is ok, but evidently I was expecting too much from the software.

0 Kudos
CBald4
Beginner

@Robert_U

If helps in something, i dont have a 8" tablet, but i have two tablet from same maker, one 7" and other 10"

The 10" tablet dont have any problem, the 7" have the maximize window problem

Both have same windows version, and same driver version

If can help you, i will upload the DXdiag, i cant do now, because i have my 10" tablet in my work

0 Kudos
JYoun11
Beginner

Absolutely the same operation on a Linx-8 (8") tablet running Windows 8.1. Tried both the "Bing" edition that came on it and the full "Professional" and problem persists.

Uninstalled the Intel HD drivers and the problem disappears (but impractical as lose screen brightness control, and sleep doesn't shut off back-light with generic driver).

This finger pointing from all parties concerned is very frustrating. I found a posting on Stack Overflow from renowned MS guy Raymond Chen saying that Windows is designed to do this on systems with 1GB of RAM. However, as the issue disappears using Microsoft's own Basic display adapter driver this can't be the whole story.

It appears to be some kind of driver/OS interaction problem. What more is there to say? I came on to post my DxDiag as I see there's a request for one from a unit that's not working properly:

Not positive I can embed a pastebin listing here, but here's a link: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=iECmkrh2 http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=iECmkrh2

One way or another this daft behaviour has got to stop

0 Kudos
CBald4
Beginner

Hi! after long time, i buy a 8" tablet, and still same problem! all windowsa are maximized... i believe was only a problem with 7" tablets....

Any answer from intel about this annoying thing?

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

In this case, any problem about this tablet needs to be reported to the tablet manufacturer, please contact your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) or place of purchase for support, as they are more familiar with the total configuration of your integrated system and the way all the features interact with each other.

Regards!

Ivan

Edited by Bryce@Intel. I may be able to assist with this further before needing to consult OEM. I'll continue to look into this separately, thanks.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi theelf

Would you please change the DPI settings in OS to see if that helps?

You can change the DPI settings from Right click on desktop -> Display Settings -> 'Change the size of text, apps and other items -> Reduce the percentage to lesser value . Log off the system and sign in and then check if that helps. Please respond back with your findings. Thanks.

Bryce__Intel
Employee

theelf or JeremyY

Would someone try the previous ask wrt DPI settings and respond with results? If no response is heard, I'll close this as resolved. Thanks.

0 Kudos
MAdam7
Beginner

I have silimar device (8" tablet on z3735f: goclever insignia 800 win 3g). On 100% DPI desktop windows are still maximized, Drivers Version 15.33.42.4358.

0 Kudos
CBald4
Beginner

Hi, thanks for answer

I tried diferent DPI settings, from 100% to 200%, but still same problem, all windows are maximized

0 Kudos