Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

8158821 Dragon Age Inquisition not running in full screen on Optimus laptops

DBord2
Novice

Hello,

it is a fact that since Dragon Age Inquisition has been released in 2014, nobody with an Optimus Laptop with a mix of Intel Iris HD and Nvidia xx0m graphics card has been able to play this game in full screen.

A lot of words have been spent against Electronic Arts and Nvidia, there a couple of official threads on this issue in their respective communities, but nor EA nor Nvidia have ever replied.

A first suspect that the issue could reside in the Iris drivers was coming from the fact that desktop user has an option for scaling override in the Nvidia control panel, which solve the issue, while in laptop users the option is not present, because the scaling is of Intel card responsibility.

I finally had the confirmation that the issue resides in the intel driver when I removed it from Windows and made the Intel card running with a generic Windows driver and the game was finally running full screen.

In my case the problem appears starting from Windows 8 up to Windows 10TP 10049.

I have an Iris 4600 HD card together with a GTX980m

The driver is the latest: 15.36.18.64.4156

but the issue appears with any mix of Intel and Nvidia drivers.

It looks like the problem is not present in Windows 7.

Please Intel have a look into it, as it looks that scaling issues are not new in this forum and there are other cases reported.

0 Kudos
76 Replies
DBord2
Novice

What I am experiencing is this:

after installing the latest Intel HD drivers 15.36.19.64.4170 I started experiencing full screen issues with games that were working with the previous release and the same Nvidia driver. For example, I'm no more able to run Bioshock Infinite in full screen.

Other games like Watch Dogs start windowed and after many trials I'm able to switch them to full screen after in game.

Well, I don't know if it is an Intel problem or Nvidia problem, but if I google "Optimus" and "full screen" I find issues related to different games.

It is clear that something is not working in the relation between the Nvidia driver and the Intel one. I also know that Optimus is an Nvidia technology, therefore I strongly hope that both Companies could work together to solve the bugs of this platform.

I still rely on Kevin words stating that the problem has been reproduced. It is clear that the latest driver made the things worse.......

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Please see post # 19.

Kevin

0 Kudos
MDesr4
Beginner

Same issue here. Windows 8.1 with GTX 860M & HD 4600.

0 Kudos
MThre
Beginner

Here as well. Win8.1 / HD 4600 / GTX 980m.

Would appreciate it if you could keep us informed regards any significant developments Kevin. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

As soon as we have the driver posted, I will let you know.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
ASalg
Beginner

Hi,

nVidia just released a driver today ... 9.18.13.5284 ( 352.84 ) ... Unfortunatelly, didn´t fix the issue. As i still in Windows 10, the "highlights" are not displayed, so i don´t know what was updated.

As it seems EA and nVidia doesn´t care for the issue, our last hope is Kevin and Intel Dev team !

0 Kudos
MMoor8
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

I am reporting the same issue with Fullscreen not being functional in this game (same scaling problem).

I'm using an MSI GE62 2QF Apache Pro Laptop.

Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 - Intel driver version from Intel Update Utility: 15.36.19.64.4170 - Device Manager driver version: 10.18.14.4170, driver date: 2015-03-16

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M - GeForce driver version from NVIDIA GeForce Experience: 350.12 - Device Manager driver version: 9.18.13.5012, driver date: 2015-04-08

I was really starting to regret my decision to purchase a laptop with Optimus technology, after encountering this scaling issue in Dragon Age: Inquisition and reading about it affecting other games. However, reading in this thread that the Intel Dev Team is working on a driver to fix the issue has given me some hope. (This laptop was not cheap!)

Anyway, I appreciate everything you're doing to try and get this issue resolved, Kevin.

Cheers,

Vague

EDIT: I just tried the brand new NVIDIA driver, as AFSFigueiredo did. GeForce driver version: 352.86 - Device Manager driver version: 9.18.13.5286, driver date: 2015-05-11. Using the same Intel Graphics driver as in the above specs, I can confirm the issue remains with this combination.

0 Kudos
DBord2
Novice

Hello,

already tried that driver with no success.

Please see thread

Robert_U replied that drivers for this issue are still under development.

0 Kudos
ASalg
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

I´ve downloaded the driver you suggested, but it doesn´t recognizes Windows 10, it says, " This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software " even setting the installer to run as Windows 8 compatibility ... Trying to update directly through the device manager, it doesn´t allow the driver to be installed claiming that the current one is already the latest ...

Let me know if you´d like me to try anything.

Anyway, thanks for helping us out !

0 Kudos
ANymo1
Beginner
0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I have checked with development and they are working on a new driver that will contain a fix for this but the current BETA driver does not fix this. I am sorry for the inconvenience but soon we will have a driver.

Kevin m

0 Kudos
ANymo1
Beginner

No need to apologize. I'm quite impressed you guys are actually working on a fix and that we're being listened to. This is costumer service done right .

0 Kudos
RErem
Beginner

There are some news about the driver? A recent version 15.36.21.4222 fix the problem?

0 Kudos
DBord2
Novice

Wow, i checked the page yesterday and this version was not yet published.

It looks like it has been published today!!

According to the changelog it is written that "New driver released with support for the newly launched H-series, R-series, and S-series Intel 5th Generation Intel® Core processors with Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 6200. This driver also provides some new enhancements and critical fixes for issues seen in games and display support."

I won't be able to test the driver until this evening (Italian time). Maybe somebody can do it earlier?

Kevin, could you give us some good news about this driver release?

We would appreciate a lot.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RErem
Beginner

Just install the driver and launched the game ... nothing has changed.

Intel HD 4600 and Nvidia 850m

0 Kudos
ANymo1
Beginner

Hmm. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers. Game still has the same problems. It won't stick to full screen.

Although, I did notice something curious. I downloaded version 15.36.21.64.4222, but when I go to the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and check the Information Center, it says my driver version is 10.18.14.4222. Looking for answers, I saw someone mentioning that the driver downloads and the actual driver version have different numbers, so they're not supposed to be the same. This would mean downloading 15.36.21.64.4222 updates the drivers to 10.18.14.4222. Is this correct, or is something not installing right?

0 Kudos
DBord2
Novice

Very disappointing indeed......

Understandout, that is normal, the Intel naming convention for drivers gives a different code number to the full driver package. Just the video driver itself is the 10.18.14.4222.

At this point, let's wait if Intel has some official word about this.

0 Kudos
CWils3
Beginner

I can also confirm this driver doesnt work.

I have the Gigabyte p34g

nvidia 860m, intel hd 4600

0 Kudos
DBord2
Novice

Just tested as well without success.

To be more precise:

Windows 8.1 64bit

Intel HD 4600 with driver 10.18.14.4222

Nvidia GTX980M with latest driver 353.06

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

We released a new driver that contains many fixes but we are still working on the fix for this Game and the Optimus systems.

We apologize for the delay con coming up with the fix but we are still working towards a solution.

0 Kudos