Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

965GM - WinXP Extended Desktop - External Monitor Cannot be Primary

idata
Employee

I have a Apple MacBook4,1 (Late 2008). According to the Chipset Identification utility, it has a 965GM graphics controller.

When I use the Intel Graphics control panel to switch to Extended Desktop mode, it displays dropdown menus to select the primary and secondary device. I would like to use the external monitor as the primary (the one with the taskbar, etc.), but the control panel will only allow me to select the built-in as the primary.

I don't think the external monitor is incapable of being primary, since it works fine if I set it to Single Monitor using the external.

I'm using the Intel GMA driver. According to the Intel page I downloaded it from today, the version number is 14.37.1.5029. According to the Windows Device Manager, the version number is 6.14.10.5029. I think this is these are the bundle and specific driver versions respectively, but I don't know.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a limitation of the chipset? Should I be using a different driver?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi

You are using the correct and latest graphics driver so that is good. When you use the Intel(R) Graphics control panel to switch to extended desktop mode, are you not seeing the external monitor in the Primary Device dropdown on the Display Devices tab? (See image)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I also have this problem, but i am using the 945gm - version (6.14.10.4926) and I do not see the monitor option in the dropdown list for the primary device. I tried to set this in the display settings of the windows but was not able to, informing that I do not have the rights to change it.

Are there any means to solve this problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RaeS_Intel

Hi Elemecca and Lian,

This is expected behavior for some computers. Some computer manufacturers will make the Notebook display the primary display at all times. This is something they configure in the Video BIOS which is integrated with the System BIOS. So this isn't set in the driver.

I'm not exactly sure why some OEMs do this. But you might want to check with your computer rmanufacturer if this is something they would consider changing....if they do, it would require a System BIOS update. However, I suspect they have good reasons to have done this.

Thanks,

Rae

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Lian: Just out of curiosity, what kind of computer do you have?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Elemecca,

I'm using a Acer TM3040. It is a very old one.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Apologies for my temporary diappearance.

Robert_U is correct that the only device that appears in the "Primary Device" dropdown is "Notebook".

Per Rae's post, I assume that this is a restriction imposed by Apple. There is a further layer of complication in my case, since Intel Macs use EFI instead of a BIOS. In order to run Windows they then run a BIOS emulation layer. I don't know whether this limitation is imposed on all OSes or only those running under the BIOS emulator. I'll investigate. I will also see if there's a facility for me to ask Apple about this.

UPDATE: Apple does not have a support facility for this type of inquiry. Mac OS X allows you to switch the primary display but I can't tell whether this is done in hardware or software.