Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

ASUS Zenbook UX330UAK will not detect *most* external displays

JWilt1
Beginner

Hello,

I did post this in response to another user's query, so my apologies if I am not following protocol by posting it separately.

Notebook Model: ASUS UX330UAK - Windows 10 64bit

Graphics Driver: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Driver version: 24.20.100.6286

Driver Date: 2018-08-15

My laptop is not able to detect *most* external displays. I have updated all my drivers from both the ASUS website and then tried the more recent ones directly from the Intel site. I've also tried doing this after a clean install of Windows 10.

I want the notebook to detect most or all external displays easily detected by other notebooks, but I am particularly interested in having it detect and extend the display to an HP Pavilion 27xw monitor. I have tested other laptops on this monitor using the same micro HDMI to VGA adapter and VGA cable, and they extend the display properly. Strangely, I used this same cable setup in my micro HDMI port and managed to extend the display to a Dell monitor (which is not mine), so I know that the micro HDMI port on my notebook is not the issue.

I have spent hours on this, and have read many suggested courses of action online for generic 'cannot detect external display' problems. One course of action which seems to be available to some people but not others is to 'Detect' another display in the Display Settings utility, have Windows not find it but nonetheless bring up a picture of a second display that it hasn't detected, and then manually force through a signal. When I hit 'Detect', my notebook simply says another display was not detected and does not generate a picture of a second undetected display that I can work with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Justin Wiltshire

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello biltman,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

Because you are using an HDMI* to VGA adapter, this issue must be a computer limitation. However, please follow these steps to continue troubleshooting it.

1. Perform a clean install of the graphics driver in case of system conflicts.

1.Disconnect your unit from the internet.

2.Uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

-Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method

-Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html

3.Restart your computer. Go to the device manager and check if Windows installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

4.Once you do, install the latest graphics driver provided by your system manufacturer.

Version V22.20.16.4836.04

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-UX330UA/HelpDesk_Download/

**Please confirm the system model and operating system.

5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the internet connection again.

If the issue persists, you can also:

1. Try another HDMI* to VGA adapter for testing purposes.

2. Install a monitor driver if available.

Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello biltman,

Were you able to review the troubleshooting steps provided?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JWilt1
Beginner

Hello Warren,

I just received a new adapter. Strangely, though the other one worked for another computer always and with one monitor on this computer, this adapter seems to have fixed the issues I was having.

Thanks so much for your help,

Justin

0 Kudos