Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Black flicker on external monitor running full screen game with 30fps video on laptop display.

Tibert
Beginner

Hi,

I have a bug on my configuration when I have a 30fps video on youtube running on my laptop display, and a full screen game on my external display. (this video works for me https://youtu.be/yWQwAJ6HEyw)

The game can be set to run on the integrated or discrete gpu and the bug can happen.

This bug generates a very fast black flicker : https://youtu.be/zDqSZ5uI3y8 in this video, the recording device couldn't record it, but while the display is black, the shadow of what was on the display can be seen, it is because of the flicker (not image retension). It mostly happens while loading the game (Warframe) and interacting with it. But it also happens randomly while doing nothing in the game.

The bug only happens when hardware acceleration is enabled in the browser (firefox and edge) (didn't try other apps) and it is running on the laptop display with a game in full screen on the external display.
If hardware acceleration is disabled, the issue doesn't happen.
If the video is set behind the game on the external display it doesn't happen.
If the Game is running on the laptop display and the video on the external one, it doesn't happen.
On a 60fps video it doesn't happen.
If the browser is set to run on the nvidia gpu discrete gpu it doesn't happen.

Laptop : HP pavilion 15-ck002nf with an i7 8550u UHD 620 + mx150 25w.

Laptop display : 1920x1080 60hz

External display (connected through hdmi 1.4) : 2560x1440 60hz (it also happens when configured on 1920x1080).

The graphics bug report, the SSU and the intel graphics control panel report are attached on the post.

Thanks for your attention, I hope there is a solution or a bug fix.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Tibert

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for all the information provided upfront.

We understand that you have a dual graphics configuration (Intel® UHD Graphics 620 + Nvidia Graphics). Checking the Intel® SSU report, we noticed the system is running the latest Intel® generic driver "30.0.101.1994".

Do you know if the issue happens using the customized drivers provided by HP?

The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM). OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues, especially for systems with dual-graphics configurations.

Therefore, we would recommend a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows* using the driver from HP: Driver version 23.20.16.4973 Rev.D.

Note: We are aware this driver seems to be older; however, manufacturers have access to the latest Intel® drivers for their own customization, so you may check with HP Support if they have an updated driver available.

Also, we recommend checking with HP Support to confirm you're running the recommended driver for NVIDIA Graphics.

In addition, please review the following suggestions:

• Make sure that the Operating System (OS) is up to date and install any pending updates, refer to Update Windows*. 
  • Check for any equipment near the monitor that could be causing electrical noise.
  • Test if the behavior persists using the Recommended Settings for the game Warframe and your hardware.
  • If the setting Panel Self Refresh is available, try disabling it in the Intel Graphics Command Center by following the steps in How to Enable and Disable Panel Self Refresh. (Note: The availability of this setting depends upon OEM customizations)

If the behavior persists, please kindly provide us with the following additional details:

1- Did the computer work fine before or are you experiencing this behavior since the first day that you have the device?

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software (Windows*, drivers, BIOS, software updates) changes that might relate to the point when the issue started?

3- Have you verified if this happens using a different display?

4- Have you tried using different HDMI* cables?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Tibert
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for answering.

Windows 10 (21h2) is up to date.

there shouldn't be equipments generating electrical noise, and even if there was, the issue would have been happening with all the things i sait it doesn't.
The behaviour happens on all settings.

the power menu in system doesn't exist.

About if the computer worked fine before, I have no idea, I got the display recently. However I can say that I tested random older drivers and all had the issue (for reference, the tested drivers file name are : gfx_win_101.1069 ; gfx_win10_100.7985 ; igfx_win10_100.8935 ; the one right before the "30.0.101.1994" one ; and "30.0.101.1994").

But for the HP one, on which the issue doesn't happen. However it isn't just "older" it's ancient (2018, 4years old), and I am not sure about how good it is to run a driver this old, as there would be a huge hole in the system security. Or even for optimisations and bugs.

I don't have another dispaly. Changing the cable didn't solve the issue (however as said above, the issue should be happening even if everything was displayed on the external display).

Also about the HP support, the only way I could even ask something without paying is on their forum, which is run only by their community... But anyway, their "latest" (ancient) driver works, however it's a big security issue (and they won't update it).

Best regards.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Tibert

Thank you for your response and for all the details. Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more information is available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Tibert

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We would like to inform you that we were testing this behavior and after several tests, we were unable to replicate this issue. The problem could be with the monitor, as the drivers seem to be working well.

In this case, our recommendation is to check this further with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for additional debugging and assistance from their side.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos