Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Cannot disable Contrast Enhancement

MOlse
Beginner

I have noticed an issue with the Contrast Enhancement setting in Intel graphics drivers. Upon each PC restart, the setting gets reset to its default setting (Contrast Enhancement enabled, set to level 5) and therefore Contrast Enhancement cannot be (permanently) disabled. This appears to be a new issue because I hadn't noticed it before. I've tried rolling back to three older versions of Intel graphics drivers, but the behavior was the same.

Please check out this apparent bug.

0 Kudos
41 Replies
MOlse
Beginner

Hello OscarA,

Thanks for the response. I have to stress again that I am not using any Lenovo customized drivers as I got the graphics drivers directly from Intel Download Center. Also, I don't see how this could be a hardware limitation since the issue didn't exist before and those contrast etc. enhancements are purely software-based (and also, if anything, the inability to turn contrast enhancement on would be a limitation). Thirdly, I am not the only one experiencing this behavior - see the older thread on this forum that I mentioned a couple of posts above. The user who reported the same issue in that thread wasn't using a Lenovo system.

Please take all of the above into consideration.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello MOlse, On the last report you sent, I see you're using Windows* 10 1903, since I did not experience the issue using Windows*10 1809, could you please go ahead and try with that version and check if it's a problem with the new Windows* version? Thank you, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello OscarA_Intel,

Unfortunately, the situation is the same on Windows 10 1809.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

I'd like to know if you were able to roll back to Windows* 10 version to 1809 and test if you're able to keep disabled in the Contrast Enhancement Setting.

Regards,

Oscar A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you for the update.

We have released a new driver version yesterday, could you please install it and let us know if the issue is fixed?

Version: 26.20.100.6890

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28816/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=96551

If the issue persists after installing the driver, please send us the updated system report using the Intel® System Support Utility and the graphics report.

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Hope this helps,

Oscar A. 

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hi OscarA_Intel,

Unfortunately, even with the latest driver, the issue persists. Please find attached the requested reports.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you for the update.

I will go ahead and perform some more research and I will be posting back if there's any workaround available.

Regards,

Oscar A. 

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you for your time.

Could you please let us know if the issue is also happening with the latest driver provided by your system manufacturer (Lenovo*)?

Regards,

Oscar A. 

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello OscarA,

Yes, it also happens with the latest driver downloaded from Lenovo's website (and also by the way, same goes for the latest drivers downloaded automatically by Windows Update). I believe all of those drivers were released within the last six months or so, so apparently the issue started happening somewhere along the way and is now being carried over by each subsequent driver version.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you for the update,

The system manufacturer customized the drivers to properly work on their systems. They actually test and validate the drivers in order to release them.

Since you’re having the same issue even with their driver, which indicates it could be just an OEM limitation or customization to work in that way. What I recommend you to do is to contact them to request a possible workaround or provide the feedback to see if they can fix the issue with a future driver update.

Regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello OscarA,

Thank you for the response and your support thus far. However, I have to stress again that this issue wasn't always present, neither with Intel ("generic") drivers, nor with drivers uploaded by Lenovo. Something happened sometime within the last six months that caused this issue to appear (with drivers from both sources). If the behavior were due to Lenovo making some specific customizations to the drivers they release, then the same behavior wouldn't be exhibited by non-customized drivers provided directly by Intel.

Additionally, let me stress that other people, with laptops from other manufacturers/OEMs have been experiencing the same issue (see the link to another thread on this forum that I posted a couple of times earlier in this thread), which seems to suggest this isn't specific to Lenovo systems.

Please consider these facts.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

You’re very welcome!

I understand that you did not have this issue 6 months ago. However, you’ve already tried all the troubleshooting steps recommended from our side such as different clean installations with different driver versions (generic), Windows* updates, the latest driver provided by the system manufacturer.

We were actually unable to replicate the issue, we tested another system with the same graphics and I was able to keep that option disabled and vice versa.

The best option for you is to contact Lenovo* and report this issue. As you can see another user was able to fix the issue by using the Intel® Graphics Command Center, and since the issue persists on your side, it could be just a limitation set by the Original Equipment Manufacturer and same for other system manufacturers.

Here’s the support link of Lenovo*:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. 

Best regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello OscarA,

Thank you for the response. Regarding the ability to replicate the issue, please note that the way to replicate the issue is by playing a video file, not by relying on what is indicated in the Intel Graphics Control Panel because there seems to be a disconnect there. Let me explain the steps to replicate/notice the issue:

1. (Prerequisite) In the Intel Graphics Command Center, under "Video", create a new custom profile and disable all enhancements in the settings for that new profile. There will now be two "Video Modes" profiles, the "Default" (which cannot be edited), and the newly created custom one with all the enhancement settings turned off.
  2. After the computer is cleanly booted after a restart, play a video file using e.g. Windows Media Player (or MPC-HC).
  3. In the Intel Graphics Command Center, switch to the "Default" Video Mode profile and then switch back to the custom one created in step 1.
  4. Play a video file again and notice the difference in how picture looks compared with how it looked in step 2.

• Conclusion: even though Intel Graphics Command Center shows the custom profile as "Active" (which does persist across restarts and shutdowns), the enhancements are still applied to videos until you manually switch to the Default profile and then back to a custom profile (the one with the enhancements turned off) in the Command Center. It's only at that point that the enhancements stop being applied, which sadly lasts only until the next reboot or shutdown, hence the issue.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you very much for the information provided. I'm going to follow the steps you provided to see if the issue can be replicated. Please allow us some days and I will be posting back with the outcome.

Regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you very much for your time.

I was unable to replicate the issue you’re experiencing. Please check the information below with the environment and steps followed to replicate the issue and let me know if I am missing any step.

Environment:

·        Intel® HD Graphics 630

·        Windows*10 1809

·        Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers Version: 26.20.100.6890 (Latest)

·        Link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28816/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=80939

·        Video player: Media Player Classic – HC

·        Intel® Graphics Command Center

Steps performed to replicate the issue:

1.   Using the Intel® Graphics Command Center, I created a costumed profile which the “Contrast Enhancement Option” is disabled/Off.

2.   I restarted the system.

3.   After that, using the MPC-HC* Video player, I played a video.

4.   Then, I enabled the “default” mode/profile and switched back to “My custom profile”

5.   It looked the same as the first time in step 3.

Best regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello OscarA,

Thank you for taking the time to try and replicate the issue. Please find attached to this post two screenshots taken with the MPC-HC player. The screenshot called "with-enhancements.png" was made following a PC restart, without touching Intel Graphics Command Center (and with the custom profile being active from before the restart). Then I opened the Intel Graphics Command Center and cycled between the default profile and the custom profile (as described in step 3 of my previous post). Then I made the second attached screenshot ("without-enhancements.png"). I hope the difference is clearly visible.

Best regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you very much for the information provided.

I can clearly see the differences between the two pictures with and without the “Contrast Enhancement”. I was able to see the differences when I had the “Default profile” and when I switched back to my “Customized profile”, that’s why I was unable to experience the same issue.

I think at this point, the best option would be to contact the system manufacturer and report this issue, in case they release a new driver, they can take that fix in consideration.

I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
MOlse
Beginner

Hello OscarA,

Thank you for the answer. Just to be clear, the screenshots I provided are not just general comparison between enhancements off versus enhancements on. I made them specifically to illustrate the issue and to prove that the issue is there. So the screenshot "with-enhancements.png" proves that Contrast Enhancement is being performed even when the custom profile (which has all enhancements turned off) is selected in the Intel Graphics Command Center. The second screenshot, "without-enhancements.png" shows what videos look like when you explicitly switch to the Default profile in the Intel Graphics Command Center, and then back to the Custom profile, which at that point triggers the correct and expected behavior. (But, due to the issue, this operation would then have to be performed after every restart or shutdown of the computer.) But the point is that the image should always look as in "without-enhancements.png" if the Custom profile is active, but it doesn't.

There is nothing the manufacturer can do about this issue as it didn't use to happen up until just a few months ago and I'm using the generic Intel drivers, which have nothing to do with the specific manufacturer. Please review your decision to close this thread as it is 99% a bug on the Intel side, with drivers provided by Intel, which the manufacturer also picks up downstream, so the same issue also happens with the drivers they release.

Best regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee

Hello MOlse,

Thank you very much for the information provided.

In this case, since we were unable to replicate the issue using our generic hardware, you have to report this issue to the Original Equipment Manufacturer to request a customized driver.

Best regards,

Oscar A.

0 Kudos
zzghr
Beginner

same thing here, in default video settings it is turned on and greyed out, in custom video settings Intel® Graphics Command Center resets this option to ON after program restarts, other settings stay OFF ( noise reduction, film mode, etc...)

newest drivers, Win 10 1909. Intel i7 7700 - H270 - 32GB RAM

0 Kudos