Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Clarification of which HD Graphics I have on my laptop + solution to me graphic needs.

idata
Employee

Hello,

After work-provided laptop has Intel HD Graphics in a Core i5-480M. It works fine for the basic needs. It wasn't unitl much later that I discovered it fails to give optimum provision for my needs. I will get it the details of that later in my post; but for now I know I need to change something (graphics card/processor or computer).

So to identify the specific limitations of what I have vs. what I can get, (ie. 2nd Gen) I wanted to find out which accelerator I actually have. So far, I figured I DO NOT have the 2nd generation HD Graphics; but please correct me if I'm wrong. Here are a few specs:

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5742

System: Windows 7 Home (SP1)

Memory: 6GB

Chip: HD Graphics (Core i5-480) 

DirectX: 10.1

Driver: 8.15.10.2559

Even though I didn't find i5-480M in this http://www.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/corei5/sb/CS-032331.htm?wapkw=%28intel+hd+graphics+i5%29 list I figured it's probably not a 2nd gen since its name was more similar to the lower generations'.

Plus the sticker on my system is this one as opposed to

So here are my needs:

Higher/Better Resolution: The 1366x768 on my laptop looks great but I want something that can match the sweet capabilities of my Dell monitor - U3011 (ie. VGA - 2048x1280; DVI - 2560x1600; HDMI - 1920x1200). Currently, I only have HDMI and VGA outputs on my laptop. I use the HDMI since the VGA (though supposedly higher resolution) looks horrible and an HDMI/VGA to DVI adapter looks even worse since it seems to downgrade the resolution to 1600x1200.

Better 3D Processing: Specifically, Im more interested in a processor that supports "anti-aliasing" as it seems what I have now doesn't. Gaming looks fine; but it renders application-created 3D models with rough edges.

So here's the questions:

1. Is it even possible to swap an "integrated graphics" with the new "processor graphics"?
  2. If so, would anything on this http://www.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/corei5/sb/CS-032331.htm?wapkw=%28intel+hd+graphics+i5%29 i5 list meet my needs within the specifications of my laptop. What about the i7?
  3. I assume an upgrade will fix the anti-aliasing need and improve the VGA; but will it fix the resolution for DVI (using an adapter...since I'm not sure I can fix a DVI port unto an already-built laptop)

Out of the realm of Intel, if Intel fails to provide a solution; I guess I'd have to switch to a graphics card... which probably means a new computer.. or doesn't it? Is there such thing as an external graphics card? (I'm yet to look that up so I thought I'd add to my post while at it).

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

You system in fact features the first generation of video controllers, called Intel® HD Graphics, which do not have the same processing and performance capabilities of the second generation. The specifications for your processor and graphics controller integrated are available here:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52952/Intel-Core-i5-480M-Processor-%283M-Cache-2_66-GHz%29 http://ark.intel.com/products/52952/Intel-Core-i5-480M-Processor-%283M-Cache-2_66-GHz%29

Concerning using higher video resolutions, the best experience that you can get using 1080p or 1080i is using a HDMI or DVI interface. For higher resolutions you should look for a system with Displayport.

For improved 3D processing you should look for a system based on Intel® HD Graphics 3000.

Updating the integrated video controller to use Intel® HD Graphics 2000 or 3000 will not be possible since they are integrated on different processors that cannot be physically installed into your system. In this case I suggest you to check with your laptop manufacturer to see what options do you have to upgrade your system.

idata
Employee

Okay. Thank you for help Diego!

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hi,

I am glad that I was able to provide you with helpful information.

Happy holidays.

0 Kudos