Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20663 Discussions

Code Vein Crashing

Lexden
Employee

Code Vein (UE4) is consistently crashing in Provisional Government Outskirts. The location in this area would vary slightly, but it would inevitably crash within just a few minutes of entering the zone. From what I saw, another person with an A750 was running into the exact same issue in the same area of this game. Specs:

• CPU: 12900K
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
  • GPU: A750
  • RAM: 32GB DDR5-6000 (XMP enabled)
  • Steps taken: Not a lot, just tried restarting the game multiple times after the crashes and tried verifying the game files. I saw a post on Steam where someone else with an A750 had the same issues (https://steamcommunity.com/app/678960/discussions/0/3780246883324040705/) and they posted March 2nd and noted that they tried several versions of drivers. As I am running the latest beta driver, it seems independent of driver version. Attached, you can find the UE4 logs. It notes "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED"
0 Kudos
1 Solution
nicosarea
Beginner

Heya Lexden!

I posted my response on Steam but I'll post here too. I recently bought an ARC A750 as well and running into constant crashes around the Provisional Government Outskirts area in CODE VEIN. After doing various combinations of troubleshooting (from experimenting with different in-game graphics settings to verifying the game's file integrity) - I had come across a temporary solution that worked for me which involved running the game in DX12 mode.

1. go to steamapps\common\CODE VEIN\CodeVein\Content\ and rename the "CriWareData" folder. I renamed mine to "CriWareData_BAK"
  2. go to steamapps\common\CODE VEIN\Engine\Binaries\ and rename "Win64CrashReportClient.exe". I renamed mine to "Win64CrashReportClient.exe_BAK".
  3. Right-click on CODE VEIN in Steam > go to Properties... > and input "-d3d12" under Launch Options.
  4. Launch the game and change the graphics settings. Under Advanced Settings, do Draw Distance=Near, Anti-Aliasin=None, SSAO=Off, Motion Blur=Off, VSync=On, Film Grain=Off. Everything else can be Low to Medium (results may vary).

I suspected that it had something to do with the game engine itself (or the way stuff is rendered in the game). There's a possibility it could be fixed via an Intel update. But in any case, this fixes my constant crashing issue. 

Reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/codevein/comments/enaxa7/not_that_usefulhow_to_run_the_game_in_dx_12_mode/

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Lexden,

We would be more than pleased to help you with the crashing issue when playing Code Vein. Based on your description, we would like to further review this matter and will continue to further look into this matter. We will post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Lexden
Employee

Hello Jean,

Sorry to bother, but I was wondering if you might have any updates? It has been two weeks since this issue was opened.

Thank you for the help.

Best,

Alex

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Lexden,

We understand that you are looking for more information about your issue. We want to let you know that we continue to look into this matter, and we are currently trying to replicate your issue. We are checking through all the details before we come back to the thread. Unfortunately, we dont have new information to share yet, but rest assured that we are working on this matter.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Lexden
Employee

@Jean_Intel It has been over two months since I have last heard from you. As mentioned in my previous comment which did not get a reply:

You mentioned over two months ago that you were trying to replicate the issue, but I do not believe it should take that long to replicate an issue which occurs 100% of the time...

If you need additional information or data, I am happy to provide it, you will just need to ask me for the information. Do you need a save file so you can load up the game in the proper area to test the issue?

I would hope to get this issue resolved as it is preventing me from using my GPU to do what I would like to. I would like to avoid needing to swap out my Intel GPU for Nvidia just so I can complete this game...

0 Kudos
Lexden
Employee

Hi Jean,

I apologize for bothering again, but it has been two months since I opened this ticket and I have seen no updates on this... You mentioned a month and a half ago that you were trying to replicate the issue, but I do not believe it should take that long to replicate an issue which occurs 100% of the time...

If you need additional information or data, I am happy to provide it, you will just need to ask me for the information. Do you need a save file so you can load up the game in the proper area to test the issue?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
Lexden
Employee

Hi @Jean_Intel,

It's been nearly another 2 weeks since I last posted and I have not heard back... Is there any hope for any progress being made here?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
nicosarea
Beginner

Heya Lexden!

I posted my response on Steam but I'll post here too. I recently bought an ARC A750 as well and running into constant crashes around the Provisional Government Outskirts area in CODE VEIN. After doing various combinations of troubleshooting (from experimenting with different in-game graphics settings to verifying the game's file integrity) - I had come across a temporary solution that worked for me which involved running the game in DX12 mode.

1. go to steamapps\common\CODE VEIN\CodeVein\Content\ and rename the "CriWareData" folder. I renamed mine to "CriWareData_BAK"
  2. go to steamapps\common\CODE VEIN\Engine\Binaries\ and rename "Win64CrashReportClient.exe". I renamed mine to "Win64CrashReportClient.exe_BAK".
  3. Right-click on CODE VEIN in Steam > go to Properties... > and input "-d3d12" under Launch Options.
  4. Launch the game and change the graphics settings. Under Advanced Settings, do Draw Distance=Near, Anti-Aliasin=None, SSAO=Off, Motion Blur=Off, VSync=On, Film Grain=Off. Everything else can be Low to Medium (results may vary).

I suspected that it had something to do with the game engine itself (or the way stuff is rendered in the game). There's a possibility it could be fixed via an Intel update. But in any case, this fixes my constant crashing issue. 

Reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/codevein/comments/enaxa7/not_that_usefulhow_to_run_the_game_in_dx_12_mode/

Lexden
Employee

Hi @nicosarea ! Thank you so much for figuring this out! That managed to fix the issue!
Managed to get me through the rest of the game until the final boss where the cutscene caused a softhang where I was able to undo the changes and finish the game completely 😁 Glad to finally be able to complete the game haha. 

I hope that @Jean_Intel and the Xe Graphics team can use this to help create a more permanent solution!

0 Kudos