Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20707 Discussions

Corel Paint Shop Pro X wont start due to new Intel HD 530 Driver (Win 8.1 64bit)

MP_1
Novice

Hi,

when i install one of the newer Drivers (Beta Build 4534 (comes through Windows Update) or the current stable 4542. (Btw, why is it blocked to Copy Driver Information from the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/product/88345/Intel-HD-Graphics-530 Driver Site ???)

When one of both Drivers are installed, Paint Shop Pro X wont start and is hanging at the PSP Logo.

When i uninstall the Driver, PSP works again. ive tried the lastest one too, doesnt work.

With Driver 4501 there seem no Problems. At least i did not notice any (so far).

I use Windows 8.1 64bit with 32GB, but PSP X is 32bit Application. (this Version is more than outdated (2006), but it worked already and this is obviously Driver related and not an Windows issue)

27 Replies
TDog
Beginner

Hi, I would like to chime in that I have this exact same issue on Windows 10 with Intel HD Graphics 520.

Paint Shop Pro X2 hangs when it says Starting Command Manager.

I've tried a number of graphics driver versions with no luck, including 154605.4771.

I have found a workaround. Start Device Manager, and disable the Intel graphics driver. Start Paint Shop Pro. Restart the driver. I can then use PSP as long as I don't close it or reboot.

I've done a lot of research on this and someone found it had to do with the version of OpenGL the drivers support. Perhaps an older version was dropped, or there is an error in the OpenGL driver code such that when PSP starts, it talks to it and it never comes back.

This has been a great frustration and Allan I really hope you can find a solution!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi TopDog,

Thank you for your feedback on this matter, I am still checking compatibility information, I will come back with more details as soon as possible.

Regards,

Allan J.
0 Kudos
NL_1
Beginner

Hi Allan,

i have exactly the same issue as TopDog has: Paint Shop Pro X2 hangs when it says Starting Command Manager. Running on a i7-7700K HD Graphics 630 with latest 15.46.05.4771 @ Windows 10 x64.

Procmon says for the Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo.exe Process, that the latest operation is initializing IGFX and Thread Start. Then hungs. And like as TopDog wrote, disabling the Graphics driver before starting PSPX2 is a functionally workaround for me too.

And i'm 100% agree with alexwent:

alexwent wrote:

I have a new computer with the Intel HD 620 driver integrated with the CPU. I have experienced exactly the same problems as indicated above with my trusty legal copy of Paintshop Pro X2 (Version 12). Although not officially supported in WIn10, I have been running it on a WIn10 machine with Nvidia drivers for the last two years very successfully.. I have been in touch with Corel, and they recommend updating, which I am not inclined to do because their recent editions are poorer and slower than the one I use. I would dearly love to know if this could be supported in a new driver update.

I'm was PSP user for a veeeery long time (since Version 3.x was from Jasc Software) and the X2 was finally the last Version with the old UI I like so. The newer versions ok have more and better features. But i'm did'nt need it.

So i very hope Intel will find and fix the problem! Thx!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience. I have been testing Corel with Intel® HD graphics 520, 530 and Intel® HD graphics 620, 630 using different graphics drivers versions and with all of them I experienced the same issue.

After checking with the engineering team, we concluded this is a compatibility issue with your program and the Windows® version.

Regards,

Allan J.

0 Kudos
AWent
Beginner

HI Allan

Thanks for your research, and that of the Intel engineering team. I take it that your conclusion means there is nothing more you can do at your end? If you could confirm this, I'd be grateful, as I can then stop using Paintshop and transfer my entire operation to Gimp, which DOES work with the new Intel chipset.

Best wishes

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi alexwent,

I am glad I was able to help. Yes, this is merely operating system compatibility. You can try using different programs that you can find compatible for your computer.

Regards,

Allan J.
0 Kudos
NL_1
Beginner

@Allan: Sad to hear there is no possibility to solve it by Intel.

@Alexwent: As a improvement for your device deactivation solution, you can use https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/devcon DevCon to write a script which disables the IGFX until PSP starts up and re-enables it adjacent. Not an elegant solution in view of the Screen flickering and mess of window layout on a Multimonitor-Environment, but in some cases better than migrate to a alternative Software.

0 Kudos