Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20786 Discussions

Corruption in XBMC

idata
Employee

There seems to be some kind of graphical corruption in XBMC with the new drivers ... icons/logos get corrupted in the interface and there are some other minor corruptions in lists (will upload images later when i get home).

I'm running the latest 64-bit drivers on two different systems both with an i3 (HD 4000) and both experience the same problem.

Operating system used is win 8 (one PRO and the other "vanilla" win 8). System 1 is runnig XBMC 12 and the other XBMC 12.1 and both are runnig the "Aeon Nox" skin .. same corruption in both.

Can someone else please confirm this issue.

0 Kudos
163 Replies
CMaso1
Beginner

Diego,

It sounds great that a new driver will be coming out to fix this problem, but I was wondering if there is a way that I could be notified when the new driver is out? I tried the Beta Win8 driver and that fixes the XBMC funky design patterns that cross the menu screen, but it does not play movies correctly, for me. With the Beta driver 1533b, I have a strange border on the left and upper edges of my screen. So I'm back to the original driver with funky patterns crossing the menu screen...but at least it play movies.

Thanks

Haswell i5-4670T, HD4600, Windows 7 64bit, XBMC12.2

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

The new driver release would be announced here or you can use RSS on the downloadcenter to get notified when a new driver is released.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600&ProdId=3720&LineId=1100&FamilyId=39 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4600 - Download Center

0 Kudos
JSmej
Beginner

Excellent, I'm glad I googled up this thread. I'm user of both XBMC (for Vidoes) and Windows 8 x64 MediaCenter (for PVR) The lines/mouse cursor corruption in XBMC is pretty annoying. I'm downloading the Beta drivers now! (slowly)

So this "should" fix XBMC, but I'm also hoping it fixes the Stutter in Media Center x2 playback. It was smooth in Windows7 but jerky in Windows 8.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4337 View topic - Video Stutters in Windows 8 with 2x Speed Fast Forward

Here is an example of the herky/jerky x2 video playback:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OoVnWBc5oM Video Stutters in Windows 8 with 2x speed Fast Forward - YouTube

Are these problems at all related? Sorry to hijack the thread here, but hopefully you can pass this along to the engineers as well! I'll open a new thead if it's not related.

Anyway, here I go, I'll update my response here in a a few minutes with the results of the Beta driver for both XBMC and Media Center x2 playback.

UPDATE:

Driver Date: 6/11/2013

Driver Version: 9 12 10 3214

XBMC - Fixed! (I think)

Media Center - No Change, x2 video playback is still herky jerky 😞

I started a new thread:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/43794 http://communities.intel.com/thread/43794

0 Kudos
JReit3
Beginner

Hi,

I recently finished my new HTPC box, using an i5-4570T. I'm also getting these graphical corruptions using the latest XBMC 13 nightly build, Windows 8 Pro x64 and the only officially available driver from May 2013 - the rest works just fine.

After installing the beta driver 15.33.64.3214 from June 2013, the graphical corruption's gone. But I can't hardly playback any file, because no sound is getting trasmitted to my av receiver randomly, the video's playing choppy with low frame rates and sometimes XBMC suddenly crashes. Checking the debug log shows a LOT of strange errors all the time. This does not happen when using the May driver... Reverting fixes all this, but I have to live with the display bugs again. :S

So please, Intel, could you release another beta version for HD4600, in the hope I could achieve a satisfying user experience? 4th gen users are pretty much up the creek right now...

Thank you, greetings from Germany,

Jonas

0 Kudos
SElli6
Beginner

Adding my 'me too' to the list, to get notified when there's a fix, using the Intel NUC system (HD 4000), pity really as it's an excellent XBMC PC without the screen corruption.

0 Kudos
TBerl
Beginner

It would be too bad if we had to exchange Intel CPU with one from AMD to get this working.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

We are aware of the issue, so it should be corrected in the next driver release. We cannot provide an estimated time for this to happen, but your feedback for sure is important.

Thank you for your patience

0 Kudos
TBerl
Beginner

Nice to hear, but too bad for those with Haswell CPU stuck with latest driver with this issue. Kind of makes the entire HTPC concept with Intel CPU unusable.

0 Kudos
LSchr2
Beginner

Haswell user checking in! My configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i5 5470S @ 2.90 GHz (HD 4600)

OS: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with the latest updates & drivers

Driver Version: 15.31.9.64.3165

The symptoms are the same.

0 Kudos
SHarv
Beginner

Another person with the same issue here. Shame this wasn't tested before it was released & now we're just told to hold tight for a undetermined amount of time.

0 Kudos
MVall7
Beginner

Intel, you certainly have dropped the ball on this one.

Martin

0 Kudos
KPles
Beginner

Same problem here (NUC).

Waiting for the fix...

0 Kudos
SDunc2
Beginner

I made the mistake to build a media-center, NAS, media-player based on Intel I3 3225 (HD4000) and Gigabyte H77N board. My "server/player" is always ON.

I have the same issues as above and in addition if I left the XBMC running as a front end for over than 12-24 hours, the Windows 7 GUI (aero or not) gets corrupted and all the UI components are all tear apart.

This corruption issue happens even with the latest Windows update driver (December 2012) and is more noticeable with the latest version from their site, actually with the latest drivers XBMC is not even usable.

I'm totally frustrated. I planned this setup for mounts and invested a lot of money and I had to choose between AMD APU an i3 for power efficiency. Now my system is not usable at all. I can't VNC or Remote Desktop after the UI corruptions appears. I had to setup a SSH server on windows in order to restart, gracefully, the OS to recover. Not to mention time lost on tracking the issue, tens of system-forced restart. Once one of my raid 5 drives was corrupted, I almost lost my raid data.

My current workaround is to exit from XBMC after using it. However, if I forget to close XBMC, my system is unusable and I need to force shutdown. What is the point of media center if I can't use the front end.

I am afraid that this issue is due to hardware problems Intel tries to hide, otherwise I suppose they could provide a quick fix, right. It looks to me that Intel is going on Nokia, Rim and MS's path. They are in top position and don't fight too hard to stay there.

I'm waiting for a solution before going on the other side.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AGund5
Beginner

@ stefan0x53

Since you've got a 3rd generation CPU you can use the older driver (15.28.12.64.2932) that doesn't exhibit the XBMC corruption. I use it with my i5 HD 4000 on Windows 8 64 bit and haven't experienced any of the problems you mention.

The only thing you loose compared to the newer drivers is the ability to set full RGB range. A setting, which according to other posts here, doesn't even work on the new drivers.

0 Kudos
SDunc2
Beginner

Thanks for your help.

In my Intel driver control panel, under Options and Support it shows me that I have version "Driver Version: 9.17.10.2843"

It's there any mismatch or the versioning for drivers coming from Windows Update are using other convention? I am stuck with this driver based on the fact that it must be stable to pass Microsoft approval, and I have no corruption on the XBMC, but as I said, still the issue with keeping XBMC on for a long time destroys my windows session. I will try to reproduce the issue and take a screenshot.

I'm using my always-on system connected to an LG 47LM760S using one of my two available HDMI output from the motherboard. I tried to disable the suspend display in system and even in XBMC but still doesn't help. I disabled the aero and stick with classic windows interface, the issue remains.

Another note: After the I got Windows UI System corruption the HDMI output doesn't work anymore and I am using the DVI output to access the system. But if I try to start any GUI application I have only weird errors that things can't be initialized, even on Alt+Ctrl+Del screen. The start menu is unusable, the items are misplaced and missing or overlapping.

It seems that I might be the only one which encountered Windows System corruption in Win7!? I have the latest drivers from Gigabyte for mu Motherboard. Other than this I don't have other devices in my system.

I will try the driver you mentioned and come back with more feedback.

0 Kudos
CMcFa
Beginner

You are using a different driver version to the rest of us, and experiencing a different issue, i would recommend starting a separate thread

our issue is that with driver version 3071 XBMC graphics are corrupted, not after a while, but immediately - this is complete reproduce and everyone here has the same issue

the drivers you have problems with, work perfectly for us, in my case for weeks at a time!

0 Kudos
AGund5
Beginner

The 9.17.10.2843 driver is older than the one I mentioned, but my system have worked fine with that driver version in the past. I have to agree with mcfaul in thinking that you are experiencing different issues than the rest of us.

My own gut feeling, when you mention graphic corruption everywhere and HDMI output that no longer work, is that you have some kind of hardware issue.

0 Kudos
SDunc2
Beginner

You are right. Issue I have, including corruption on the windowing system, bothers me more than the one reported here.

However I arrived at this thread because I experience the XBMC interface instant corruption with the latest driver I have downloaded from Intel server, right after installing Windows OS. Therefore I reverted to my current one after experiencing XBMC issues described here and I observed that the old one bring a fix, however I hopped that this two issues are related and you guys didn't have an always on setup.

Now it's clear that there are two different issues and I will fill another thread after taking some screen corruption pictures.

Possible that my corruption problem to be something related to my main board as well. Does anybody have a mobo with two HDMIs which run XBMC for days? Mayber Gigabyte H77N ... it's great for HTPC setup.

Thank you very much and I'm waiting for a fix for this issue as well.

0 Kudos
JSton12
Beginner

I also have this XBMC corruption issue. It's been two months or more. It is probably causing issues elsewhere, but I don't use this system for anything else.

If this is how intel sorts out it's issues, I am not sure I can buy intel again. At the very least, a "new" version of the driver, with some of the new parts without the broken bit should have been released already.

Not to mention we are still waiting years and years for them to fix black levels. Time to pick a different brand.

0 Kudos
mespa
Beginner

having the exact same issue and thought i was going crazy after reinstalling XBMC 3 times.

XBMC Frodo 12.2

Haswell i5-4570

AsRock Z87E-ITX

rolled back to drivers listed in post33 and can confirm that Aeon Nox4.0 does work properly - no GUI tearing. Though after about 1hr of playing i started to experience so choppy playback and green bitmapping of video. May be an isolated case but wanted to relay my experience. I have no GUI/playback issues whatsoever using Confluence

Hope fix is released soon

thanks
0 Kudos
AGund5
Beginner

The new beta driver works for me as well, no more corruption in the XBMC GUI and it also seems to improve video playback quality. The old, pre-corruption, driver had some issues with stuttering in some videos, I haven't noticed this yet with the new driver.

Sandy Bridge i5, HD4000, Windows 8 Pro, XBMC 12.2.

0 Kudos