Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Display Mode changing (refresh rate) also changes Display Scaling. Can this be prevented?

Jappie
Beginner

I have a NUC7i5BNH with Intel Iris Graphics 640. Very happy with it except for video playback: Mediacenters like JRiver and Kodi have 'automatic display mode changing' as an option in order to have the best video playback. Display mode changing works, I can check in Intel Iris Graphic Control Panel and see that the refresh rate of the display has changed. Issue: the display 'Scaling' also changes. From 'Maintain Display Scaling' to 'Scale Full Screen'. The result is that my LG Oled (b6) looses Trumotion and Real Cinema options.

I asked JRiver about Display Scaling.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,119827.0.html

Display Scaling should not change. Display mode changing is about refresh rates.

It seems the scaling issue is graphics-specific.

I wonder if the change to 'Scale Full Screen' can be prevented or changed to 'Maintain Display Scaling'?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello Jappie, Thank you for posting on this Community. To find out if the change to 'Scale Full Screen' can be prevented or changed to 'Maintain Display Scaling, we would like to replicate this issue, if possible. If this is a driver issue, we would like to know whether you are using the latest drivers available for your unit, which is recommended. Please fill out the Template for submitting a Graphics bug and attach the file along with a Dxdiag report and an Intel® System Support Utility report. Please include clear steps to replicate this issue. You will find more information on the template. https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490AGdSAM/important-template-for-submitting-a-graphics-bug Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Jappie
Beginner

Thank you for responding. I have been busy to collect information (3 attached files. I see only 1?).

0 Kudos
Jappie
Beginner

Why can't I attach 3 files?

0 Kudos
Jappie
Beginner
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello Jappie, Thank you for posting the information requested. We will review it and attempt to reproduce this issue to have a better understanding of it. We will get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello Jappie, I am writing to let you know that we have been working on the issue reported with Kodi and JRiver. As soon as we have any update about it, we will update this thread. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Jappie
Beginner

Thanks Wanner. It's good to know the issue is still alive and kicking 🙂

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello Jappie, I am writing to let you know that we were not able to replicate the issue reported on this thread. *Lab Hardware / Software Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH Graphics driver version 24.20.100.6286 BIOS 0076 Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 10.0.17763 Build 17763 Kodi (App and desktop versions) Jriver (Desktop version) Videos (As specified on the documents attached) *Result: The issue was not replicated. To continue troubleshooting this issue, we recommend following these recommendations: A. Perform a clean boot and disable all non-Microsoft Services (msconfig + Service tab) and all Startup Tasks (Task Manager). Then, test the performance of the applications. Clean boot in Windows* https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. B. Test another monitor and display cable if possible. C. Reinstall the graphics driver. You can try performing a clean installation of the graphics driver. 1.Disconnect your unit from the Internet. 2.Uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections: -Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method -Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html 3.Restart your computer. Go to Windows* Device Manager and check if Windows* installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. 4.Once you do, please proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver version: 5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable the internet connection again. Please let us know if the issue persists. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Jappie
Beginner

Hello Wanner, sad news... You guys could not replicate the issue probably because you don't have a LG Oled B6 connected to your Intel Nuc 🙂

I have installed Windows 10 three times over the past 20 month and everytime the display mode issue was there. It is not a simple driver issue.

I was about to give up but today I found a way to make my NUC function the way it should!

Basically it means that I found a LG Oled-setting (Picture Mode settings -> Aspect Ratio: 'All direction Zoom' + 'Just Scan') in combination with a Intel Graphics Control Panel setting (desktop resolution: 1920x1080, 50p, SCALING: 'Maintain Aspect Ratio') that makes everything work the way it should. It involved connecting the NUC with HDMI to a Denon AVR and the USB-C-output (through a adapter to hdmi) directly to LG Oled and going through many configuration steps.

Result: I can play any video with Kodi or JRiver with settings to automatic change the display frame rate AND preserve the Trumotion-option on LG Oled...

It should not be this hard. My 10 year old Shuttle with AMD Radeon 4550 was so easy to set up. Just connect to AVR or directly to LG Oled and everything worked fine, with Trumotion active on LG Oled.

Finally I am happy with my Intel Nuc!

0 Kudos
Jappie
Beginner

I like to thank everyone involved in solving my 'display-issue'. This posting was the last step for me before giving up on Intel NUC. Thanks to your response Wanner, and the efforts made to replicate the display-issue, I kept researching and testing. My testing finally paid off.

Right now I have disconnected the Thunderbolt-hdmi cable and the primary HDMI still functions correctly (connected to Denon AVR), giving me the necessary display modes to use trumotion on LG Oled! The Picture Mode Settings on LG Oled are normal ( 16:9 and 'Just Scan'), the Intel Graphics CP settings are normal (3840x2160, 50p, scaling defaults to 'Maintain display scaling' after video playback so I leave it like that).

I cannot explain what happened. At this moment Windows shows different display-information (e.g. 'resolution of active signal' 3840x2160; this used to be: 4096x2160) and the 'recommended resolution' now is 3840x2160 (used to be 4096x2160). Colorspace has also changed from RGB to YCbCr420. In Intel Graphics CP there is no option anymore for YCbCr. Quantization range is set to 'Full' (as always).

I am okay with this. LG Oled can be used with all its options available, both in 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 resolution!

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello Jappie, Thank you for your feedback. It is highly appreciated. We have documented the steps you have taken to fix this behavior. Hopefully, they will help other users having this hardware and software configuration address this issue properly. As you were saying, we attempted to replicate this behavior to determine whether this was occurring due to driver conflicts. However, looking at the TV settings or even installing a firmware update was the next step. This time we could not test the unit with a LG* TV. That probably made the difference. Having said that, we appreciate you providing a detailed description of your configuration. Regards, Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos