Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Display Quantization Setting for Intel UHD Graphics 620

rgord1
Novice

Intel NUC8v5PNK with latest Bios version 0037 and Intel UHD Graphics 620 graphics drivers versions 7324 (from Intel NUC 8 Pro Kit NUC8v5PNK single download Last updated 6/26/2020) and 8141 (my understanding from Microsoft Update). The NUC displays the same behaviour with both drivers.

The Intel Graphics Command Center has a setting for full quantization under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Command Center for a NUC6i5SYH (Intel® Iris® Graphics 540). NUC7i5BNH (Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640) and a NUC7PJYH (Intel® UHD Graphics 605). Setting the quantization to full under the Display tab is necessary for full PC 0-255 RGB Output. It is not sufficient to rely in the full setting under the Video tab.

There is no place under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Command Center to set full quantization RGB Output level (PC 0-255) for Intel UHD Graphics 620 and it appears that the driver detects a TV and sets RGB Output level to TV (16-225). This results in a washed out display through HDMI.

Simiarly there is no place under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Control Panel to set full quantization RGB Output level (PC 0-255). From this I conclude (right or wrong) that the issue lies in the drivers for Intel UHD Graphics 620 rather than the Command Center or Control Panel.

Is the inability to set full quantization RGB Output level under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Command Center for Intel UHD Graphics 620 by design or is it intended to be rectified in any upcoming graphics drivers or Command Center software?

Alternatively is there some other way to ensure full quantization RGB Output level (PC 0-255) to the display for Intel UHD Graphics 620 in the NUC8v5PNK?

From everything I have read Intel UHD Graphics 620 is definitely capable of full quantization RGB Output.

0 Kudos
51 Replies
rgord1
Novice

Hi Ronny,

The original issue, inability to set full quantization RGB Output level under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Command Center for output from HDMI Port 2, has not yet been resolved.

Please do not close this case until it has been.

Regards

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi rgord1,

Are you referring to the issue: Quantization enabled the system is generating a split-screen effect? 

• NUC8v5PNK running latest firmware and drivers GFX 8141 
  • Windows 10
  • Intel Graphics Command Center
  • Sony KD49X9000E UHD TV as a monitor connected on HDMI Port 1

Split screen HDMI port1 Closer to the power connector and  UHD Protected connector 

Q1.jfif

I provided you with a test FW update that should fix the issue for this particular combination. 

Did you try it? I have confirmation that this is a compatibility issue with some monitor models when you run 4K in 23p/24p. The test FW was provided for your convenience but we won't make it publicly available due to potential compatibility issues with most popular displays and configurations, support is also limited.

This is all we can do at this point for this issue, if you still need assistance please give us a call to explore other options to resolve this situation, here is our contact us information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@7 and make reference to case number 04781215.

Regards,

Ronny G 

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Hi Ronny.

The original issue I am referring to that has not been addressed is inability to set full quantization RGB Output level under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Command Center for output from HDMI Port 2, i.e.  the port farthest from the power connector.

As far as I can tell output from HDMI Port 1, i.e. the port closest to the power connector is not HDMI 2a, and does not have HDR capability.

I wish to use HDMI Port 2 which does appear to be HDMI 2a, and to have HDR capability, and to have the ability to set full quantization RGB Output level under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Command Center for output from that port.

As I have indicated in an earlier post in this thread:

"I have decided to hold off on applying the FW patch, because I do not have any information on what, if any, effect it may have on output from HDMI Port 2. Output from HDMI Port 2 is at least consistent in terms of color balance and general video performance with other NUCs that I have configured as HTPCs.

The color balance from HDMI Port 1, on the other hand, is quite different, and even if the patch fixed the split screen behaviour it might not fix the color balance.

I will wait for a publicly available bios update that *might* fix the color balance out of HDMI Port 1, and possibly the split screen behaviour as well."

Regards

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi rgord1,

We tested NUC8v5PNK and we see the Quantization range in IGCC options (I had provided a video showcasing it). This option appears only when an HDMI cable is connected to a UHD Protected Connector, for this unit that would be the HDMI connector that is closer to the power connector.

The HDMI port that you wish to use is not UHD protected and doesn't support Quantization range. My understanding is that if you use the HDMI port closest to the power connector you do have the Quantization range option available in IGCC but you get a split-screen type of issue that we are trying to address by providing you with the Test FW update that I mentioned before.

Please be aware that there are no plans to mitigate this issue as this is the expected behavior and the Test FW update is very specific and only intended to address compatibility issues such as this one but again there are no plans to integrate this into a publicly available update.

Regards,
Ronny G

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Hi Ronny.

Thanks for that information.

It is the first time that I have seen it stated that Quantization range in IGCC options appears only when an HDMI cable is connected to a UHD Protected Connector.

It is my understanding that the reason Quantization range options in IGCC do not appear on output from HDMI Port 2 of the NUC8v5PNK is because it is non-native HDMI, not because it is not UHD Protected.

I'd be grateful for clarification on this point.

Regards

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi rgord1,

It's a combination of Intel® Graphics Command Center requirements and NUC product design. Quantization Range Option is available for Native HDMI only as you had mentioned before, the second HDMI port on the NUC doesn't meet this requirement due to LSPCON that converts DP into HDMI signal.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Thanks again.

What I, and a number of other users over the past three or four years, have been asking for is to have that display quantization range option available for non-native HDMI output.

I have seen a number of responses over the years from Intel which say it is not available for LSPCON  or DP to HDMI converted output, but not that it is not possible.

I'm asking again that some effort be put into this, and that it not just be dismissed, overlooked or ignored.

My feeling is that the combined intellect of those Intel software engineers working on display graphics would be able to come up with some solution to this if it were accorded some measure of priority.

Regards

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi rgord1,

I totally understand your request and I will submit a product feature request internally but please keep in mind that this would be considered for future product designs as there are no internal plans or resources allocated to investigate the possibility of modifying the current product functionality.

This product feature request that I will be submitting internally doesn't mean that this would be implemented but it would be taken into consideration by our product engineers and depending on the market needs and technical feasibility this may eventually be part of a product but I can't promise anything at this time.

Let me know if you have any other technical concerns around this issue, otherwise, I will be closing the internal ticket created for this interaction.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

We have submitted an internal product feature request as I mentioned in my previous post.

I am closing the technical support ticket created for this report.

Regards,

Ronny G 

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Hi Ronny,

I appreciate your submission of a "feature request" to have the display quantization range option available for non-native HDMI output.

I would be astonished If it hasn't been submitted previously, given the number of users who have posted on this topic over the years.

If it hasn't been then I earnestly hope that some serious notice be taken of the request, as all that it does is unlock a capability that is already inherent in the Intel graphics hardware.

If it has been submitted previously then all I can say is that I would hope that the request is afforded higher priority and a greater measure of immediacy than appears to have been the case in the past.

Regards

0 Kudos