Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20675 Discussions

Does Intel every plan to stop Microsoft from replacing new drivers with drivers from 2020?

BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

It doesn't seem to matter who I tell or how many times I say it. If you allow Intel DSA to install the latest graphics drivers for 11th gen integrated graphics, Windows updates will replace them with ancient drivers from 2020, specifically 27.20.100.8935.

I do not need support because I know of the Microsoft failsafe where it won't replace the same driver twice so I simply install every new driver twice.

6 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, BHarr8.

Thank you for posting in our Community.

I noticed that you've got quite the workaround there. Yes I agree, it's frustrating when updates undo the progress you've made. When you said, "I do not need support because I know of the Microsoft failsafe where it won't replace the same driver twice so I simply install every new driver twice", could you please elaborate on what that entails?

Intel® only supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. If you're using an OEM device such as a laptop or tablet, it's advisable to install drivers specific to your OEM manufacturer. These customizations can include changes to features, software packaging, and other aspects of the driver software. Furthermore, if you're using an OEM device, please keep in mind that our support may be limited, as we might not be familiar with the technology, settings, customizations, and features that the OEM has implemented in your system.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

Install the latest driver.

Allow Windows to replace it.

Install the latest driver a second time.

If you take these exact steps, Microsoft triggers a fail safe and will not replace the driver a 2nd time.

It doesn't actually matter where the drivers come from. What matters is 11th and 12th gen Intel iGPUs. If you have a 11th or 12th gen iGPU, it is extremely likely that any new driver install will be replaced and Microsoft's driver of choice is from 2020. I don't see this behavior if the iGPU is from the 13th gen.

In this latest case I was using the driver recommended by Intel DSA.

FYI, AMD was having this identical issue for a time but AMD seems to have worked with Microsoft to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, BHarr8.

The issue you're describing with the 11th and 12th-generation Intel iGPUs and driver updates is indeed a known challenge. I see that Windows Update sometimes overrides the latest drivers with an older version that it deems more stable, particularly for these generations of Intel-integrated GPUs. There may be some compatibility issues between the machine hardware and to the driver that you're going to install. Have you tried to clean installation of your drivers? This can sometimes resolve conflicts between different driver versions.

I'd like to delve deeper and verify specifics like the graphics models, precise driver versions, and any system errors. Utilizing the Intel SSU tool will enable us to collect detailed information about your system setup, which could aid in identifying the underlying cause of this issue.

As a last resort, a clean installation of the operating system (For Windows 10 & Windows 11) might be necessary to ensure that there are no residual conflicts causing the issue.

Moreover, I would like to share with you these links/articles, that can help fix the issue:

We eagerly await your reply. Should the issue persist, kindly inform us so we can conduct additional investigations on our side. Wishing you a pleasant day!

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I have 2 systems available to me here that I can check this with and another I might be able to check tomorrow.

I have not tried a clean install in quite some time because I have never seen a driver install fail.

I do know that if you do a generic driver cleanup from disk cleanup, that sometimes triggers Windows Updates to remove your current drivers and install those ancient ones. I think this happens because the old drivers Windows updates installed in the past are removed in the cleanup so Windows Updates no longer has its fail safe.

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I tried the clean install and can absolutely confirm that this makes the problem significantly worse.

Instead of Windows Updates offering to install old graphics drivers, it also installs a bunch of Intel extensions as well if you choose the clean install option. I guess its a little better though because at least it didn't choose ancient drivers this time. The log is also attached.
updates.jpg

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, BHarr8.

I appreciate your response. We will need to do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once available.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos