Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20665 Discussions

Doom 2016 wont start with HD Graphics 530 !

r3un1on
New Contributor I

Hallo,

I wanted to test Doom 4 on Intel hd graphics 530...

If i start the game from steam, it do nothing ! and it Show me no error message !

I use Intel beta Driver v4444. Readme sad Doom 4 are fixed on Windows 7 and 8.1.

Any solution to start it on Intel GPU ?

Also doom 4 beta was playlable. But Final Version not work

My System:

Intel i7-6700k

Asus Z170-Pro

16GB DDR4

2TB HDD Raid 0

Soundblaster Z

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

0 Kudos
70 Replies
r3un1on
New Contributor I

Loeschzwerg,

yes i use Windows 7 x64. And i can Change in my Motherboard bios the Shared Memory for igpu to max 512mb. But if i use 512mb shared Memory, i have unther Windows 7 512mb dedicated VRam and 1000mb Vram.

Some games work not correct or i become a message... (not enough video memory available). Also by GTA5 and max Payne 3 i become this message.

If i use in Motherboard bios, 32mb or AUTO shared Memory, in Windows 7 i have 192mb dedicated Vram and 1800MB VRam.

ok now my doom 4 is up to date. I test it again and with 512mb shared Memory to. i Hope it help

I'll post the results here

Esteban,

I thank you for your help and work

0 Kudos
Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

Ah ok, then better leave it at "Auto" in your case. I haven't seen such behaviour on the NUC systems.

Looking at Iris Pro 580 performance, it seems that memory bandwidth is a heavy bottleneck. At 1366x768 from Medium to High there is only a drop of about 3-4fps, from High to Ultra it's the same. Switching antialiasing mode from TAA (1TX) to TSSAA (8TX) costs about 2 fps.

At the moment I'm playing at 1280x720 with Ultra preset and TSSAA (8TX). It's very playable and thanks to TSSAA locks very good (30 fps at critical scenes; usually about 35-45fps)

One more thing: After the Doom update the texture issues after editing the quality settings are gone No more need for a reset!

0 Kudos
Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

Here a few images at 1280x720, Ultra and TSSAA (8TX):

0 Kudos
TLanz
Beginner

I have tried with the atest drivers (4474) now Doom at least starts but it's unplayable:

On my i5 6600k @4,7Ghz (GPU IntelHD 530@default), the frame rates are very low at 1280x720 with AA off and low or medium settings, moreover the game will never go in fullscreen even if i set it in the properties.

Seems to be an issue with the display drivers, please note that my windows desktop resolution is set to 4k (2160p) and the game goes fullscreen only if i set a 4k resolution in Doom.

0 Kudos
TLanz
Beginner

thanks but the post is more related to Intel 530, not 580......

0 Kudos
Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

I know, but I thought it would be better to have all information about Doom and Intel Gen 9 graphics in one topic. This is easier for Intel and for us as well

What happens if you set your desktop to a lower resolution? (Just for testings purpose)

---

Installing Doom on my NUC6i5SYK (Iris 540) at the moment.

0 Kudos
r3un1on
New Contributor I

Loeschzwerg,

Your Iris 580 is powerfull and you have 128MB RDRAM. That's why you have more framerate and can Play of Ultra.

Which Memory have you ?

Also by me after Doom update, sometimes game work without textures error and flickering and sometimes Frame drop. Also in some Scene i have 10-12 fps and it is unplaylable.

I changed my Shared Memory in bios Setting to 512mb and tested again. It got worse

I created a Video for Intel Driver Teams. here is the Video...

Intel Driver Teams Need to fix it.

On my System it is playlable if Intel Driver work correct.

@Eteban, please send my Video to Intel Driver Teams.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

My system does have 2x 8GB DDR4 2133 equipped, but I overclocked it to 2666.

Have you tried lowering the "Resolution Scale" on the advanced settings menu? 75% or 50%.

0 Kudos
r3un1on
New Contributor I

if i reduce the Resolution scale, i have more framerate, but the game look like shit

i wait for better Driver. on Station-Driver i see new Intel Driver v4475.

It is for Non-OEM and the Driver is without Setup.exe.

0 Kudos
TLanz
Beginner

I have solved the issue mentioned above (Doom can't run in fulllscreen).

I've installed the 4475 drivers and updated Doom, now it can run in fullscreen and perfectly playable. I have to use 1280x720, high settings with no AA or anisotropic but it's finally playable!

0 Kudos
Loeschzwerg
New Contributor I

Same here, the Iris 540 does a good job on the NUC6i5SYK (15Watt TDP only). 1280x720, High, and FXAA is playable, but the fps can go down to 25.

High and TSSAA

High and FXAA

Resolution scale at 85% gives a huge boost, but it looks really bad.

0 Kudos
r3un1on
New Contributor I

Lantony, can you please post your System spec ?

0 Kudos
TLanz
Beginner

Here my rig specs

CASE INWIN DRAGON RAIDER FULLTOWER

PSU EVGA 850W GOLD PLUS

INTEL 6600K @ 4700MHZ AND CORSAIR H80I

MSI Z170 GAMING PRO

16GB DDR4 3000

4K DISPLAY

SSHD 2TB

WINDOWS 10 64

Here some screenshots in game. I've used HD resolution (720p), high preset FXAA and 4x anisotropic, resolution scale 100%

0 Kudos
r3un1on
New Contributor I

Lantony,

your pc spec look nice.

and you have no textures error or lag with doom ?

0 Kudos
TLanz
Beginner

Yes no texture issue as far as I see. I have no shutter but sometimes the framerate guest to 20fps but it's a gpu integrated in the CPU so I can't ask too much. At least I can play doom until I get the new Nvidia 1070 gtx

0 Kudos
r3un1on
New Contributor I

ah ok good to know. i think you have Windows 10 to. right ?

i have win7. that is why only i have texture issue. by doom 3 bfg and wolfenstein games i have no Problems.

0 Kudos
TLanz
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, All:

So I went ahead and tested this in one of our Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYHs

Turns out indeed I was able to start the game with driver Beta 15.40.26.4474 (Latest)

Followed the instructions and recommendations from Loeschzwerg related to the graphics settings, and worked as advised as well.

Here I add some of the screenshots collected as well as the documentation of what was done with the unit.

High settings

Medium settings:

Hope you guys provide us with some feedback after testing these settings out.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
r3un1on
New Contributor I

Hi Esteban,

which OS have you installed and which Ram Speed have you ?

Your screenshot look nice. you can Play doom with high Quality ^^ by me it is only with low Setting playlable.

someting is wrong by my System

greetz

0 Kudos
TLanz
Beginner

that post from Esteban is about an Intel HD 540 GPU not an Intel HD 530 GPU for this post you opened, so he will have better performances.

If you read my earlier post you will see that my configuration is similiar to yours and i am able to play Doom at 1280x720 high settings FXAA at about 25 fps (minimum framerate of 20fps, maximum about 30 fps)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

igpu, the speed is 2133MHz 2x4GB and Windows 10 64-bit

All information related to the system has been attached in the SSU report.

Lantony, I understand that we have performed the tests in the nearest configuration available from our end.

The gameplay that I experienced was fine, personally, I do play video games often (PC master race FTW) and know when a game is not playable due to graphics "lag" so I can say with the system used, it is playable even with 25-30 FPS.

Hope you all have the chance to run this game and enjoy it.

I would like to give a closure for this matter since we were able to run the game which was the original issue, would that be ok for you igpu ? Still, if additional inquiries come to mind related to this we can continue with the support.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos