Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

EliteDesk 800 G1 TWR DisplayPort not working (Intel Graphics HD4600)

SSwed
Beginner

I have 5 new Desktops (EliteDesk 800 G1 TWR) with identical specs and hardware, each has 2 displayports. I've been trying to connect a DVI monitor to those desktops using a DisplayPort to DVI Cable with no success. only 1 DisplayPort on one desktop managed to give me a picture, all other Desktops did not work.

A link to the cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252022935916?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT http://www.ebay.com/itm/252022935916?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The monitor is an HP W2072a

4 of the desktops have the v2.57 BIOS and 1 Desktop has the v2.65 (Latest) BIOS.

the working Displayport is on a PC with the v2.57 BIOS.

I've tried to do a BIOS Reset and that didn't help.

I'm Running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Fully updated, latest intel graphics and chipset drivers.

P.S. The DisplayPort doesnot even work while booting, not just in windows

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Not a good looking cable. No places for passive electronic components (look at HP FH973AA dvi part size), no external power (look at USB power in HP NR078AA).

0 Kudos
SSwed
Beginner

I don't understand what "passive electronic components" are, can you please explain a little more? the cable worked on 1 of the desktops, and I have tested it on 3 laptops with displayport output and it worked.

why would it work on some PCs and not others?

Is the cable defective, do I need to return it? or is it not fit for this desktop?

Note: The DisplayPort has a DP++ symbol next to them, doesn't that mean that it supports passive cables?

can an adapter like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121753952385?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&var=420747749031&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT New DisplayPort Display Port Male DP 1 1 to VGA Female Adapter Converter OE | eBay

Thanks for you time.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Yes, there is a need of electronics in converter, cause DP uses lower signal line voltages, so to form the DVI signal a voltage boost required. Slim factor of cable DVI part (and low price) suggests that vendor used smallest and cheapest components. Also, thickness of cable itself is also questionable, again, the HP-branded solutions are exactly converters, meaning that signal from DP by short path converts to DVI and then DVI signal will be sended via regular (good) DVI cable. In this cable design, the signal from DP should travel over meter of cheap cable to reach conversion facility.

All of this may be a factor, or may be not, though.

0 Kudos
SSwed
Beginner

Thanks for your reply and explenation.

So will a passive DP to DVI adapter (male to female, not a cable) work if i have a good DVI cable?

And will the DP to VGA adapter I linked to in my previous post work?

And finally will a shorter passive DP to DVI converter work?

Sorry for all the questions but i can't find any concrete information online about those questions.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
SSwed
Beginner
0 Kudos