Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Error from ig9icd32.dll on calling OpenGL gl.UseProgram()

ideabrush
Beginner

I'm the author of the app Expresii. I found that error occurs when I try to export an artwork snapshot from Expresii when on Intel GPUs. Please see attached report for details. The error occurs on machines like Surface Book 2 or Surface Pro 7 i7. It doesn't happen on AMD or Nvidia CPU's, so it seems to me it's Intel-specific.  Please let me know if you need more information from me. Thanks for your attention!

0 Kudos
29 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello ideabrush

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. 

We need more information to identify the possible cause. Please share with us the following:

• Which Intel® processors did you test with the software?
  • Which graphics drivers did you try?
  • Does this happen only on laptops or does it also happen on desktop systems?
  • Did you test both the OEM and Intel drivers?
  • Do you get the same problem with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter?

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
ideabrush
Beginner
  • Which Intel® processors did you test with the software?

i7-8650U & i7-1065G7 CPUs as found in Surface Book 2 and Surface Pro 7 respectively.

• Which graphics drivers did you try?

For the Surface Book 2:
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
Intel graphics driver version 26.20.100.7639
NVIDIA driver 451.67

• Does this happen only on laptops or does it also happen on desktop systems?

On desktop too. In my last message I only mentioned Surface Book 2 and Surface Pro 7 because I think those are common devices without the doubt on the possibilities in components on desktops.

Info of my desktop:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU 
RAM 8 GB
GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600; GL 4.3.0 - driver version 20.19.15.4531

Exporting snapshot the second time (like on the Surface Book 2, it takes a second time for the error to occur, as mentioned in the attached .docx in my last message), it gives me error:

ideabrush_0-1614390331634.png

The error is a little different from the one I get using Surface Book 2, but it's still an access violation coming from an intel DLL: ig75icd64.dll

After this error, the Expresii app would crash and quit itself.

• Did you test both the OEM and Intel drivers?

I used the little app "Intel driver & Support Assistant" and it says my driver is up to date. Clicking on the "Check for Driver Update" directs me to the URL "https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html":

ideabrush_1-1614390572895.pngideabrush_2-1614390601707.png

From the above screenshot, it seems I've installed one that was downloaded from intel website for my Surface book 2. I also have the Surface Pro 7 i7, and it also gives the error. It was newly acquired and I'm sure I didn't install any Intel driver downloaded from the intel website. 

• Do you get the same problem with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how to get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter active safely. I just googled and it looks like this software-only driver only supports very basic OpenGL (1.1?). Expresii requires OpenGL 3.0 so it probably won't run Expresii anyway.

FYI, I have Expresii users also reporting getting error when exporting snapshots with alpha channel, so it seems the error is quite common on various Intel processors (including at least on my side UHD 620 GPU of an 8th gen i7, Iris Plus GPU of an 10th gen i7, HD4600 GPU from an 4th gen i5). 

Thanks for attention, David.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello ideabrush

Thank you for the details provided, we will do some testing on our side. As soon as we finish the testing process, we will post the updates on this thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
ideabrush
Beginner
0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello ideabrush

Thank you for waiting,

We followed the exact same steps you provided with different processors, from different families and generations but we didn't get the same results/the same error that you experience.

For testing, please try one of the same laptops using the latest graphics drivers available in our website:

Please also check with the OEMs to test the systems with only Intel graphics, disabling any other dedicated GPU.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
ideabrush
Beginner

Thanks for your update, David. Unfortunately, it seems very hard to get the latest driver found in downloadcenter.intel.com installed for me.

For my desktop, 4th Gen i5, HD 4600 GPU, I keep getting errors installing the driver:

intel driver installl failed.PNG

intel driver installl failed 2.PNG

15.40.48.5171 is the latest for my 4th Gen i5. Am I correct?

I also tried the Intel Driver Support and Assistant:

intel driver & assistant says no more update.PNG

 and it says no update available.  After these attempts, my system still has the same older driver 20.19.15.4531 (actually I'm not sure how your numbering scheme works. The first 2 digits 20 is larger than 15, but the 15.40.48.5171 is dated Feb 2021 so it must be newer than my current one, since I haven't updated the driver for quite some time and that your Assistant app shows it's dated 9/29/2016).

I also can't install driver from downloadcenter.intel.com on my Surface Book 2. Let me post screenshots in my next message.

It'd be great if the latest driver already has the bug fixed like suggested by your engineer's report. However, right now I can't verify if this is really the case. I hope your engineer did try the snapshot export a few times, since as mentioned in my report, I usually need to export it a second time to get the error. 

0 Kudos
ideabrush
Beginner

I tried installing Microsoft's own latest drivers for SB2 (Download Surface Book 2 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center) but after running this setup file, the Intel driver remains

• Version26.20.100.7639
  • Date12/13/2019

I tried the latest one from download.intel.com: 

latest intel driver.PNG

I think 8th gen i7-8650U the above should be the correct one, right?

But I get these errors when installing it:

cant install latest intel driver 2.PNG

cant install latest intel driver.PNG

I tried Intel's Troubleshooter:

intel troubleshoot.PNG

 It says it might be caused by Assistant app not installed properly, so I uninstall it and reinstall it as instructed. Still to no avail. Keeping going thru the Troubleshooter:

going thru troubleshooter.PNG

 These under the logs sub-folder can't be deleted, even though I've already restart the PC:

ideabrush_0-1615391192228.png

Anyway, these are under 'logs' so maybe it's fine leaving them there. But unfortunately, the Assistant app still gives:

No supported driver or software updates are available for your system.

Now I really don't know what to do in order to install the latest driver as suggested by you on my SB2.

Could you please shed some light on how I can get a driver that doesn't exhibit the error I first reported on SB2?

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello ideabrush

Intel® recommends that users utilize driver updates provided by their system manufacturer/provider or via Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, the use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended, however, for testing purposes we recommend you try the generic drivers that are available in our downloads website:

The errors in the installation process could show up because you have customized drivers installed, and you're trying to install a generic driver. To resolve this, you can try to do a clean installation of the graphics driver, please follow the steps in our article: Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows® 10*

If you want to find the latest generic driver for a specific graphics card, you have to search its model on the downloads website listed above.

Most laptop systems use highly customized drivers, we can't confirm that the system will uninstall or install the generic version. For Surface systems the OEM only provides a driver bundle, so we are not able to test their graphics drivers only. 

You also have the option to contact the OEM directly for instructions on how to properly uninstall the drivers and get more information on their latest customized drivers.

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ideabrush
Beginner

Thanks for your instructions. I did a clean install as instructed for my desktop. I got the driver updated, but still get the same error:

intel still error latest driver.PNG

And I'm also not sure why the driver number is a bit different than the one indicated in the downloaded file win64_15.40.5171.exe. Only the last 4 digits 5171 are matching. The date 11/4/2020 is also different from "Version: 15.40.48.5171 (Latest) Date: 2/5/2021" as indicated in the intel website.

Could you please confirm if that 11/4/2020 20.19.15.5171 is actually the latest driver for HD 4600?

So your engineer is also testing against a '11/4/2020 20.19.15.5171' driver if on a 4th-gen?

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello ideabrush

The latest generic driver for the Intel® HD Graphics 4600, is version 15.40.48.5171. Did you get to test the other computer with the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (latest driver 27.20.100.9316)?

The last four digits indicate the actual driver number. For more information, you can check our article: Understanding the Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number

We tested with the older and newer drivers available.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
ideabrush
Beginner

Thanks for your information on version numbers. 

I just tested on the UHD 620 with latest driver 9316:

ideabrush_0-1615874348201.png

Unfortunately it's still the same. Did your engineer also test with the same driver and same UHD 620? And they didn't get such an error? If so, that sounds strange. I pretty much certainly can get that error on the second time I export the snapshot. Could you please confirm with your engineer that they did try the snapshot export more than one time, as mentioned in my .docx report?

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello ideabrush

We did test the different drivers and the steps you listed on both the thread and the documents provided. We will continue the investigation and continue to post updates on this thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello ideabrush

Thank you for waiting. Once again, we followed the steps you provided with the different drivers and we didn't get the same outcome. Please let us know if there is any other way to replicate this error.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
ideabrush
Beginner

Hi David, I'd like to check with you if your engineer followed my instruction of choosing to output with alpha channel when exporting the snapshot or not.  The error only appears when we export with alpha:

ideabrush_0-1616479056107.png

On my side, I just acquired an Intel NUC 8 i5 a few days ago. I did a fresh install of Win10 and updated it to 20H2 Build 19042.867. Did the graphics driver update to 2/18/2021 27.20.100.9316 via Intel DSA. And once again, I get the same error. This is an Intel machine, so I believe you can get the exact hardware and software to reproduce the error. 

I'll record a video using that Intel NUC and post it here.

0 Kudos
ideabrush
Beginner

Hi, please check this video showing the error occurring:

https://youtu.be/TyCmI2_Rd0Q

Hope this helps your tester in reproducing the error.

0 Kudos
ideabrush
Beginner

And since I got that new NUC and did a fresh install of Expresii, I realized you need to register your copy of Expresii for you to test with the snapshot export function. I assumed your tester obtained a trial key to do the registration so that he/she can do the tests all along. If your tester doesn't want to keep getting another trial key after one expires, let me know and I can send him/her a full key for testing via private email.  Not sure how I can give you a private message, but you can easily contact my via the 'contact us' link in expresii.com.   Thank you.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello ideabrush

What is the full model of the NUC8i5 you tested? (The SA# also works)

Once you provide the model we will use the same NUC, following the exact steps from the video and using Alpha Channel to export a second time.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
ideabrush
Beginner
0 Kudos
JeeSifu
Beginner

I am a user of Expressii and I have been trying the program on surface pro 7 (i7) and surface GO 2, and also the Samsung Flex 2, all fail to export 2nd time (to PNG with transparency).

However my AlienPC is fine with Geforce 3090.. (well it better does.)

I am writing here to let everyone know that I as a heavy user of expressii also have this problem all over the different devices, so I hope it brings to intel's attention that it needs to be fixed and debugged. Wish you all luck.

*I am also the guy on Chiinnature and Tin Yat Dragon youtube channel. I have done review for expressii.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello ideabrush, I just received an update on this matter.

We did this many times and never got the error message, tested on the Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i5BEK, we exported the images, here are some pictures with the details of this result:

While exporting, there was no error message

Graphics: Iris plus 655

Driver: 27.20.100.8681

Please see the pictures attached about version of the system, posted a file and exporting it successfully.

JeeSifu, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos