Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Everytime I install Intel HD 630 graphics , screen goes black

SMahe9
Beginner

I am having Alienware 17 r4 , I reinstalled windows and when I install Intel HD 630 from official driver site or manufacturer site it's the same , if I disable Intel HD driver , it works fine ​

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is a laptop. You should not be installing drivers obtained from either the Intel or NVIDIA sites; you should only be using the drivers supplied by Alienware. For this same reason, you should not be using the IDSA tool at all. Get your updates from the Alienware site yourself. Use their update tool if they have one.

The reason for this is that vendors often make modifications to the drivers (or driver packages) to support the differences in their laptop design. This is especially true in cases where a hybrid graphics solution, involving both Intel and NVIDIA graphics engines, is used. In this particular case, they may have modifications to switch back and forth between the graphics engines as necessary. If you install the generic driver package from Intel (or NVIDIA), you could lose this switching capability and have all sorts of issues as a result.

Hope this helps,

...S

SMahe9
Beginner

Yeah, I just left windows to update drivers , then when I reboot I get a black screen. Also I tried manually installing Intel 630 from Alienware site , I will try one more as u told and get back​, thanks : )

0 Kudos
SMahe9
Beginner

I tried installing Intel graphics 630 from Alienware site , still have the same problem​

0 Kudos
SMahe9
Beginner

Even I tried installing the original old Intel graphics from Alienware, still getting black screen as soon as it installs , also noticed that there are two display devices in devices and printers - one is desktop367... And other generic PNP

0 Kudos
SMahe9
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

With Internet disconnected throughout, uninstall BOTH the Intel HD Graphics and the NVIDIA HD Graphics packages, reboot and then install the two packages from laptop vendor's site.

I​f this doesn't work, you should contact vendor. They are responsible for this driver combination.

...S

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello SMahe9,

I would like to know if you need further assistance? 

Esteban Ch.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JLiza1
Beginner

I'am also experiencing the same problem athough with a different laptop. Using an Asus one with a gtx1050ti and intel 630HD. Followed the same steps as above, with the corresponding Asus drivers provided the same results. Is it possible ​the intel graphics is dead? Thanks

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello JLiza1,

Thank you for your response, 

In this case, we will recommend you to get in contact with your laptop manufacturer for further support since the issue does not seem to be related to a software issue.

We will close this inquiry; but, if you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Esteban Ch. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos