Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Firefox crashes display driver 6912.

Parapele
New Contributor I

Hello everybody! Some time ago i started experienced driver crashes, and i think last stable driver was 6709(8?).

Exactly this problem was brought up here, but sadly at that time nothing was done.

I has the same message couple times - "Windows had prevented Firefox from accessing Intel GPU." which appears because Firefox keeps crashing driver again and again.

Due random nature i wasn't able report sooner and keeping struggle with crashes. Only disabling "Use hardware acceleration when available" in options helps. So i decide find some heavy benchmark website that maybe will crash driver, and here i am. So i have Windows 10 1903, Firefox 67.0.4 64 bit, i3 6100 and 6912 driver (see attachment).

To reproduce driver crash you need to go http://webvizbench.com/Default.htm?skipdetect run benchmark - and wait until driver crash, if it doesn't crash - run again and again.

Next website that crash driver http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev/canvasmark/

Here the same, run benchmark and wait for crash, repeat if it doesn't crash.

I don't know if this is the same bug or two separate problem, i just hope if they will be fixed - random driver crashes will go away. And if this is can help you, i also managed reproduce driver crash in Microsoft Edge on these two website - so this is not only Firefox related.

2019-07-01 03_29_04.jpg

50 Replies
APMichael
New Contributor I

Thanks for the testing and the reply.

I don't know why you didn't have any crash, but the driver definitely causes crashes and Intel even confirmed this in the release notes of the latest driver version 26.20.100.7000.

KEY ISSUES FIXED: - Improved stability for Edge and Firefox browsers.

Let's see if the latest driver version really fixes the crashes.

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

Hi @APMichael​  Nope! 7000 driver didn't fix bug for me, but now its even worse! I get black square on top left corner, if hardware acceleration turn on!

ON2019-08-02 22_26_07-Firefox crashes display driver 6912. - Intel® Community Forum.jpg

OFF

2019-08-02 22_27_03-Firefox crashes display driver 6912. - Intel® Community Forum.jpg

@LeoC_Intel​ All of this clearly driver bug, i proved it. Its affect some percentage of user. Last working driver was 6618, with no large testing it's impossible to tell what all of PC has common. Please push this to driver enginers, because there nothin we can do.

APMichael
New Contributor I

Thanks for the information. I can confirm that the latest .7000 driver is even worse. I also have the black square now...

ff-7000.jpg

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello everybody

I just run the same testing on my end with:

·               Intel® HD graphics 620/630 driver: 6912

·               Windows® 10 1903

·               Microsoft® Edge 44.18362.1.0

·               Firefox 68..0.1

And is run the benchmarks on http://webvizbench.com/Default.htm?skipdetect and http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev/canvasmark/ with and without hardware acceleration, I did not have any crash in both of Internet browsers or any artifact error while the testing was performed, at this point, I would recommend contacting the OEM a deporting the behavior and if it is needed they can work together with Intel on this behavior due this could be related to the OEM design.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

APMichael
New Contributor I

Thank you for trying to help. The fact that you cannot reproduce the issue does not mean that the issue does not exist. The issue occurs on different systems and is certainly not OEM dependent. Also, the past has shown again and again that Intel can strangely never reproduce any issues, but sooner or later they will be fixed in new drivers... So please forward this issue report to the driver developers and do not block it with the usual OEM excuse. Thank you again.

Edit: That could also be corrected: The uninstaller only partially uninstalls the driver. The software extensions are not completely uninstalled.

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

SSU reports attached (SYS1: Asus Mini-PC, SYS2: Self-built PC).

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello all,

We recommend reporting this issue to your Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM).

Regards,

Wanner G.

Parapele
New Contributor I

Hello.

Why my previous comment was "pend for review" and now deleted?

We have here several different systems (6100, 6400, 6100U) with the same problem and after update to 7000 driver we get another bug.

TWO PC is self build. OEM is our HANDS.

Please stop with these "not driver fault, go away" response, it's really frustrating. We literally nowhere to go.

Also i found this thread. Guy has the same black box bug, it will be interesting if his PC also has Intel HD and driver crash bug. And maybe his PC also Skylake? So all PC that get black box is the same PC that crashing? We probably have some pattern.

It will be awesome if someone at Reddit point him on our topic. Because otherwise he will just turn off HW acceleration, it will solve black box bug, he will say thanks and thats it.

Because my previous comment was deleted, i attach report again.

UPD: On Reddit another user appears with black box bug, he confirmed that it happened after driver update. I read his log and he has "Intel(R) HD Graphics 520". Now i pretty sure its only Skylake affected.

APMichael
New Contributor I

Do you really seriously believe that 3 different manufacturers (ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI) have independently built in the same design flaw? Very unbelievable... In addition, they can only change the external circuitry, but not the actual GPU...

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello everybody

In order to look more into the behavior that you are having please provide me the following details:

·        Can you make a video with the guidance to replicate the issues and also that the issues are visible.

·        Please provide me the following reports:

o  The Intel® graphics report please follow the instructions below:

1.   Right-click on the Desktop, and click on Graphics Properties.

2.   Click Options and Support, and then click Information Center.

3.   Click on Save (save it in your desktop).

4.   To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

·        Run the Intel® processor diagnostic tool (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool) and provide me with the test results.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

Hello. Well, there is no need for guidance steps

Have 500 series GPU, have Windows 1903 (18362.267), install 7000 driver, install Firefox 68.0.1, launch it, check if HW acceleration is on, you get black box in top left corner, go to http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev/canvasmark/ and you will get driver crash in TEST 7.

BTW, your guide steps is old and not suit for DCH Drivers.

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

Just for making point, in the middle of trying get off rid from driver crash, i updated Windows from 1809 or something like that, so problem exist on older version of Windows and reinstalling not are gonna solve problem. Also because my comment was deleted, i want repeat "tried DDU, all was done in Safe mode and with no internet." so this is not some conflict between reinstallation different driver versions.

@Al.Hill​ Oh yeah, you catch us. We and guys from Reddit just using Paint, and cutting off AC power in the middle of the tests. We all very happy for you Al, keep it up.

There at least three here and two PC on Reddit with HW acceleration problem.

Driver can randomly crashes on random websites, benchmark websites here for consistent result.

Please never visit this topic, thank you.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Running Firefox 68.0.1 64-bit on a NUC8i7HVKVA with a i7-8809G processor with DCH driver 7000 on windows 10 pro 1903 produced NO CRASH and ran all tests successfully.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Just ran Firefox 68.0.1 64-bit on a Latitude E7470 with a i5-6300U processor (Intel HD Graphics 520 ) with DCH driver 7000 on windows 10 pro 1903 and, again, NO CRASH.

I suggest you stop running this so-called "benchmark" since it is causing you problems.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Explain why I do not have the crash. If the only place you experience this crash is on that site, well, do not go there. There are much better benchmarks available.

I suggest the three of you plus the two reddit users get together and find out what you have in common for hardware and software, including extensions and anti-virus software.

And, I will continue to contribute to this topic. You see, on the home page it says "Find and share solutions with Intel users across the world. This is a community forum where members can ask and answer questions about Intel products.". You need to learn that you do not define the rules.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I just tested two more units with 500 series graphics - Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580 and Intel HD Graphics 515. This makes a total of 3 units tested using your test procedure, as you say, for consistent results:

"Have 500 series GPU, have Windows 1903 (18362.267), install 7000 driver, install Firefox 68.0.1, launch it, check if HW acceleration is on, you get black box in top left corner, go to http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev/canvasmark/ and you will get driver crash in TEST 7."

There were NO CRASHES, on any of the 500 series graphics, or any of my machines. So much for your "consistent" results procedure. If you are getting these crashes, there is something else wrong with your environment, either hardware or software.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Parapele​ , what add-ons and extensions do you have installed with firefox? Remove all of them and test.

Doc

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

Al, right in the first message i wrote "i also managed reproduce driver crash in Microsoft Edge on these two website - so this is not only Firefox related." i never use Edge, there is clean browser how Windows it self get it to me. I already completely wipe Firefox profile, created new and it didn't help. Right now i will formatting whole disk C, i will reset BIOS settings and then install Windows 10. After, i gonna instal just chipset, sound, network, GPU drivers and Firefox. How i already said first driver that bring crashes is 6708 and first driver that bring black box in UI is 7000. With change drivers bugs appear and disappears. Will see after Windows installed.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Does not matter. You claim you have a consistent procedure to make it fail, which I have used. That procedure may fail on your machine, but it does not on my machines. So, it is not a valid test procedure. I tested on multiple 500 series graphics, and nothing - NO CRASHES.

On your clean build of W10, use Windows Defender and do not install any other AV product, and no firefox add-ons or extensions. Do not make any registry edits or install any 3rd party software, except firefox.

Doc

0 Kudos
Parapele
New Contributor I

I did everything, Windows 1903 (18362.30) it automatically installed all drivers, for GPU it was 6373.

Results

CanvasMark 2013 Edge pass Firefox 68.0.1 pass (webvizbench not tested)

I only instaled 7000 driver for GPU

Get black box on UI

2019-08-09 15_43_00-Window.png

Edge crashing on both websites, Firefox 68.0.1 crashing on both websites

2019-08-09 16_18_07-Window.png

I did not instal anything except 7000 driver, and Firefox.

It was fun. (not)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One thing I did before I installed the DCH driver, was to completely remove all previous drivers.

I did this by downloading the 7000 driver, then disconnecting from the net.

Then, in the device manager, I continued to uninstall the graphics driver, selecting "delete" software, and restarting. I continued to do this until only the Microsoft basic display adapter was left.

Then, I installed the DCH 7000 driver, and then reconnected to the net.

I do not know that the above will help you, but it is easy enough to try. However, I suspect there is something else wrong, and this is not a driver issue, but shows up as a "driver" issue. Have you tried, and I know this is a stretch, using a different ISP and router?

Probably asked before, but have you tried different (or less) memory, just to eliminate that as a possibility? I know that we are talking about multiple machines, but we have to eliminate possibilities.

Have you had any contact with mozilla regarding this? If it is as bad as you say, why are there not more users who use firefox (and edge) complaining?

Something is wrong, but where? The issue surfaces as a driver issue which may not be the place to focus.

Doc

0 Kudos