Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20708 Discussions

Flickering Screen with fullscreen games after Windows 8.1 Update

PSkil1
Beginner

After I updated to Windows 8.1 the Toshiba Service Station made me update the Intel HD Graphics driver to the latest (9.17.10.3223) and now any fullscreen (ONLY FULLSCREEN) game makes the screen flicker. I uninstalled the driver but have not yet restarted and the problem seems to be resolved. I am now using the previous version (9.17.10.3062)

Additional info: I have a second display hooked up via VGA on the side of the laptop.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

PSkilton

EDIT: Uninstalling the latest driver has only half fixed the flickering. It occurs less often now, but still occurs. Which leads me to believe there is another factor to this issue.

It is also quite possible that I have not uninstalled the driver correctly. I used the control panel to uninstall through "Programs and features". I forgot about the rollback driver from Display.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Driver version 9.17.10.3223 and older versions are validated for Microsoft* Windows* 8 only.

While using Microsoft* Windows* 8.1, the drivers would be provided only by the operating system itself, hence you should check with Microsoft* for support on those drivers.

I suggest that you check the article available here:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm Graphics | Microsoft Windows 8* and Windows 8.1* Support FAQ

0 Kudos
dorlo1
Beginner

Windows 8.1 provides version 9.17.10.2932 of the driver, which is not actually compatible with Windows 8.1.

0 Kudos
HKlei3
Beginner

I've been having this problem as well. Has anyone found a solution yet?

0 Kudos
PSkil1
Beginner

Yes, sorry for not posting that my problem had been fixed. I have experienced no problems since installing the driver posted /message/213292# 213292 here. Although installed my driver still says that it is version 9.17.10.3347. The download page states that it supports 8.1 and knock on wood, I have had no problems since installing the driver downloaded from that page.

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
HKlei3
Beginner

Blegh. I've got a 4000 card, so I'm incompatible.

0 Kudos
PSkil1
Beginner
0 Kudos
HKlei3
Beginner

Gave that a try.

It told me that I was overwriting a newer driver, but I did it anyway. Restarted, booted up Skyrim, still flickering.

0 Kudos
PSkil1
Beginner

Darn, it was worth a shot. That's all I can think of to help. Have you tried the http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect Intel® Driver Update Utility?

0 Kudos
HKlei3
Beginner

It says my audio driver is "unknown or unsupported", which I doubt has anything to do with it (besides, the driver's called Intel Display Audio), same goes for my Wired Networking driver (again, Intel), the only thing that says has an update is my Wireless Display Driver, which sends me to a dead link.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
HKlei3
Beginner

What would be the safest way to uninstall a driver without messing up my computer in the process?

Also, when I tried downloading the driver, it told me that my current driver was newer than the one you linked me to. Should I still be using that driver?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Hikarigami,

The best way to uninstall a driver is going to device manager. I am not totally sure why your system is displaying that the current driver you have is newer but It may be possible if you have Windows Update set as automatically.

In any case, you can uninstall the current driver from device manager and download the latest provided in the link above.

0 Kudos
JKone
Beginner

Hi guys,

I had the same problem and after a few minutes searching through internet I found an easy way to solve this. Just change the compatibility of the game.. use compatibility for windows 8/7 and then enjoy your games again