Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Flickering problem in photoshop workspace. PLEASE help

Spiff
Beginner

Hello, first of all sorry for my bad english.

I have a problem with flickering while using PS - i've searched all topics, and i saw that this problem exist from year 2019, and still no clue whats going on...

I have a new laptop - Acer Nitro 5 laptop with dual cards Intel UHD and Nvidia RTX 3050, i5-10300H CPU. All drivers are updated, and on RTX I have STUDIO Drivers, not Game Ready.

- I don't want to disable GPU on PS, because I'm using a lot of options for it.

- I can't disable g-sync (i saw this tip in other topics) because i don't have this option

- I have Nvidia Studio Drivers (on Game-Ready the problem is the same)

- I have this problem ONLY on Adobe apps

- I have the newest Intel Drivers

I had drivers provided by Acer - the same problem. Then i tried to update drivers to see if the problem exist. Same thing.

Interesting thing. 
- When you rotate screen in Intel Control Panel - landscape (inverted). There is no problem, but i can't work with inverted screen 😉 

- When I move app to my second monitor - there is no problem, but i want to use my laptop screen.

Not my video, but it looks like this VID 20190809 233324 - YouTube - when you use mouse, tablet for drawing with brush, when you do anything on workspace all image changing brightness/contrast when you click/use brush. This is really really REALLY annoying.

I saw posts with telling others that dual-card laptops may have problems. But it is not a solution - the market with these laptops is huge, so ther must be a solution...

Is there really nothing you can do about it?!

PLEASE... help. I do not want this topic to be like the others - years later - without solving the problem. For me for OTHER people who struggle with it.

Best regards S.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Use only the drivers provided by Acer.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Spiff
Beginner

I had drivers provided by Acer - the same problem. Then i tried to update drivers to see if the problem exist. Same thing.

Windows 10 have the same problem like Win 11.

0 Kudos
Spiff
Beginner

Interesting thing. 

- When you rotate screen in Intel Control Panel - landscape (inverted). There is no problem, but i can't work with inverted screen 😉

- When I move app to my second monitor - there is no problem, but i want to use my laptop screen.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Contact aceer for support.   They supposedly tested your laptop with the drivers they provide.   And, you should use BOTH the Intel and nvidia driver they have,

0 Kudos
Spiff
Beginner

I've back to drivers provided by Acer - like at the beginning.

I will try post my problem to the acer forum - but at this moment registration doesn't work on their site...

But maybe Intel employees will find out what's going on? Like I wrote this "interesting thing" section with screen rotation and second monitor. This is weird.  Please help. Adobe send peoples to Nvidia, Nvidia send peoples to Intel, Intel send peoples to Acer and Acer registration forum site doesn't work... and I don't think they will help 😞 I lost hope... 

0 Kudos
Spiff
Beginner

Anyone?

0 Kudos
Spiff
Beginner

Another weird thing. 

When my photoshop is on, and then I go to the Device Manager, from that go to Intel UHD graphic card, and disable intel card. Screen goes black (normal thing - intel operates screen view, not Geforce RTX), and after 5 seconds go back to normal. And... problem stops, but some parts of UI is broken (not visible), but without a flickering on workspace area. This is not a solution, but i'm giving another clue.

0 Kudos
Spiff
Beginner

Dear Intel,

I think that i find what causing a problem.

Like i said - i have a problem with flickering in adobe apps (blender also) - it looks like this: Photoshop CC 2018 brightness flicker - YouTube . All workspace area, and oudside the workspace area is flickering like in the video.

I talk in Acer forum with a very helpful person, and we found what makes this flickering effect.

When i go to the Intel Graphic Center, and change rotation of the LCD screen from "landscape" (normal view) to "landscape inverted" - problem stops! No flickering at all.

But of course I can't work with screen upside down 😉

So we think that : "If Intel Control Panel can eliminate flickering upside down, then they should definitely be able to tweak Intel Control Panel to eliminate the link right side up. ".

Please Intel Employees - check it, read about my, and not only mine problem. This struggle a lot of people. 

And try to help us.

There is no other option - it must be it.

Adobe app is very important for my work, and this constantly flickering is very painful.

0 Kudos
Spiff
Beginner

Dear Intel team...

I've made my own video showing you the problem. Please watch video to the end.

I show on this video examples of brightness flickering, and whats going on if i change rotation in Intel Control Panel, and back to the normal view again. It looks worse live, my camera is bad, but you can see everything.

https://youtu.be/KRO-v66qjWM

Will someone respond me?

and take care of my and not only my problem?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Spiff, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

For this scenario, it is important to mention that the Intel® graphics driver are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific device. For that reason, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

Even though the Intel® graphics are generic, for testing purposes you can try a clean installation of Intel® graphics driver version 30.0.101.1994 following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

So, if you still notice an issue after installing the graphics driver provided by Acer, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Acer support, to report this scenario, to check if they have a fix for this situation, to verify if they can replicate the issue using the same exact computer/board being used, to confirm if a physical inspection of the machine will be needed and for further assistance on this matter. Warranty options may apply to this position and if there is a fix that they need to add to their customized driver they will work with Intel® internally on trying to add a fix to the driver that is available on their website

Also, you can always get in contact directly with Adobe Support for them to provide further assistance on this matter and confirm that your computer complies with their system requirements:
https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Spiff
Beginner

"flicker rightside-up vs no-flicker upside-down behavior" is the same with both generic Intel drivers and the Intel ACER-oem drivers. And they only happen with Adobe/Blender apps with nvidia GPU enabled.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Spiff, Thank you very much for clarifying those details.

"And they only happen with Adobe/Blender apps with nvidia GPU enabled.", Yes, the fact that the problem only happens with the Adobe /Blender applications indicates that the root of the problem could be related to the application itself in reference to the system requirements, which is why we suggested to get in contact with Adobe support directly for them to confirm that and provide further suggestion on this topic:

https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

"is the same with both generic Intel drivers and the Intel ACER-oem drivers." Correct, the proper drivers for your machine are provided by Acer, tested, and validated by them. So, based on that and taking into consideration that the computer might be working with a dual graphics configuration, Intel® and Nvidia, to get in contact directly with Acer support will be the next thing to do, so they can work internally with Intel® to, if necessary, add the fixes to their driver that is customized by them to comply with the features and functions advertised for their product.

I looked on Acer's website just to confirm the graphics driver version they have available for installation, but, I was not able to find it since there are many different versions of Nitro 5 laptop. Just in case, here is the link where you can look for it by entering the specific model of your computer:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Since, as you mentioned, the issue remains with the driver provided by Acer, then, you can now report to them which is the specific driver version that is showing this problem so they can fix it.

Additionally, for testing purposes, you can try a clean installation of an older Intel® graphics driver and confirm if the problem persists with that driver as well. If by any chance, the issue gets fixed that way, please let us know what is the specific driver version that fixes it so we can do further research on this matter. In the following link, you will find all the Intel® graphics drivers available for installation:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

Otherwise, to contact Acer Support for further assistance will be the next step for this scenario:
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Spiff
Beginner

It'll be very hard for my to contact ACER with my bad english - if they answer me at all...

I posted my problem on ACER forum, but ACER Team don't look there.

NVIDIA not responding, and Adobe don't know what's going on.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Spiff, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those updates.

"I posted my problem on ACER forum, but ACER Team don't look there", If they have the option of Forum Support available they eventually will look at your post and provide further support on this matter. 

"It'll be very hard for my to contact ACER with my bad english", we completely understand that situation. Maybe there is someone that you know that might be able to call them for a faster response so they can help you in trying to resolve the problem. Keep in mind that warranty options might be needed and they are the only ones to be able to comply with that scenario.

Acer America Corporation

1730 North First Street

Suite 400

San Jose, CA 95112

(408) 533-7700 – Phone

"NVIDIA not respondin", is the same situation, it to wait for a moment will be needed for them to respond to your inquiries. Still, Acer will be the one to provide the most accurate service on their machine. 

From our side, we tried our best in order to try to fix this problem and we are sorry to know that the issue still persists. Acer, being the manufacturer of the machine, should be the one providing further assistance and the help needed on this subject since they customized everything on their device. Even more so if the issue was not fixed while using their drivers, like the one you posted above, 27.20.100.8280.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Spiff
Beginner

"Maybe there is someone that you know that might be able to call them for a faster response so they can help you in trying to resolve the problem" - unfortunately no, I'm from Poland - i can write a massage with google translate, and I'm understand someone posts, but thats it. There is no person who can help me to phone to Acer in San Diego.  I'll try to write mail to acer, but...

Also there is my post in Adobe forum P: Flickering problem in photoshop workspace - Page 2 - Adobe Support Community - 13029422

Thank you Alberto for your responses, but I'm afraid I'll have to learn to live with this flickering  😞

All the best for you and thank you for trying to help me.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Spiff, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

"I'll try to write mail to acer,", Yes, that will be the best thing to do, Acer should be the one to further assist you with this scenario.

I found the contact information for Poland customers so you can get in contact directly with them:

https://www.acer.com/ac/pl/PL/content/contacts

We wish you all the best as well and we really hope for Acer to be able to help you with this situation.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

As I said on 6/25, contact ACER support.   Now, ten days later, the recommendation is the same.

0 Kudos