Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

GMA 3650 aka. PowerVR sgx545 and Linux

idata
Employee

Hello,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems there is absolutely no support for Intel GMA 3650 chipsets on Linux ?

There's a lot of similarities with the GMA500 case, a few years ago for which there is still only very poor

drivers under Linux. The GMA500 was also a chipset from PowerVR painted with Intel colors.

Will it be the same fiasco with this GMA series ?

Or maybe I missed something ?

By the way, I tryed to ask the developpers of PowerVR drivers and they told me to ask Intel support.

173 Replies
idata
Employee

If anybody's running Ubuntu 12.04 here, try out this ppa:

https://launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/cedarview cedarview : Robert Hooker

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sounds promising, anyone tried it yet? Is that ported Meego driver or there is other Intel's activity we are not aware of?

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Tomek wrote:

Sounds promising, anyone tried it yet?

Didn't work for me on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 on an ASRock AD2700-ITX (garbled screen after installation), maybe other boards will have better luck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

powerarmour wrote:

Didn't work for me on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 on an ASRock AD2700-ITX (garbled screen after installation), maybe other boards will have better luck.

Exactly the same for Intel DN2800MT board.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's the second time I faced this issue. Last time I could add an external graphic card but this time I bought a fanlass mini PC and I can't.

Again I was think that choosing Intel was sign of broader support between several OS/distributions. And I am wrong.

This chip has been included in many laptops and so on so I was almost sure it would be no pb and that Intel learnt from the past.

Guys it couldn't be so difficult for you to produce linux drivers? Why not doing them for your customers? You plan to provide built in solutions which ends up in servers etc.. so linux is one choice that couldn't be avoided.

It's really a shame. Besides you don't even communicate and answer customers who have spend money and have trust your brand.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Managed to get my ASRock AD2700-ITX board working with the PPA drivers in Ubuntu 12.04 :-

https://launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/cedarview https://launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/cedarview

Most important thing is to make sure the pae kernel is removed (or add mem=4G to boot command line) and build the drivers after a reboot first, so they are not building to the pae kernel.

But yeah still a bit glitchy, but I got 1080p and audio support via HDMI, vaapi working (somewhat, it'll show support in vainfo, but playback is still dodgy), and it's useable

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

you did that on i386 binaries I assume?

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Mariusz wrote:

you did that on i386 binaries I assume?

Yup

Still have issues with a phantom LVDS device though, even after adding video=LVDS-1:d to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, so I have to fiddle around with the display settings after every boot to get fullscreen 1080p working again, otherwise I just get a quarter screen.

Got a 754 score with Peacekeeper and Google Chrome 20 which isn't too bad for browsing (still about 100 points slower then Win8 though)

2D performance sucks a lot harder that it should... even GMA 3150 rapes this at the moment.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hi.

still not usable for all linux distro for now. 

xorg.log

[ 17215.312] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/pvr_drv.so

[ 17215.313] (II) Module PVR: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

[ 17215.313] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 1.7.10922

[ 17215.313] Module class: X.Org Video Driver

[ 17215.313] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0

[ 17215.313] (EE) module ABI major version (11) doesn't match the server's version (12)

[ 17215.313] (II) UnloadModule: "pvr"

[ 17215.313] (II) Unloading pvr

[ 17215.313] (EE) Failed to load module "pvr" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

i running quantal ubuntu now with installed drivers for fedora downloaded from intel

and compiled kernel 3.1.10 patched drivers cedarviev gfx

see:

lsmod :

ttm 64702 1 cedarview_gfxdrm_kms_helper 32694 1 cedarview_gfxdrm 187116 3 cedarview_gfx,ttm,drm_kms_helperi2c_algo_bit 13080 1 cedarview_gfxvideo 18679 1 cedarview_gfx

xorg.log

[ 17215.319] (**) FBDEV(1): claimed PCI slot 0@0:2:0

[ 17215.319] (II) FBDEV(1): using default device

[ 17215.319] (II) FBDEV(1): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section

"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32

[ 17215.319] (==) FBDEV(1): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32

[ 17215.319] (==) FBDEV(1): RGB weight 888

[ 17215.319] (==) FBDEV(1): Default visual is TrueColor

[ 17215.319] (==) FBDEV(1): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)

[ 17215.319] (II) FBDEV(1): hardware: psbfb (video memory: 3072kB)

[ 17215.319] (II) FBDEV(1): checking modes against framebuffer device...

[ 17215.319] (II) FBDEV(1): checking modes against monitor...

[ 17215.319] (--) FBDEV(1): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)

[ 17215.319] (**) FBDEV(1): Built-in mode "current"

[ 17215.319] (==) FBDEV(1): DPI set to (96, 96)

cant downgrade xorg need to wait for next release driver pvr_drv.so version (12)

thx anyway

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That stuff from Xorg.0.log can happen, but it helps to have an xorg.conf file in your /etc/X11 directory with a few 'Modes "your monitor horizontal x vertical resolution"' lines to overcome the problem, especially with the newest Xorg systems out there, which have the xf86*modesetting*.so graphics driver in there to muddle things up.

You remember from long ago how to do an 'Xorg -configure' I assume. It hasn't completely gone out of fashion What happens next is you edit xorg.conf.new and move it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I'll tell you that I have Centos 6.2 running with the pre-compiled 3.0.0-10.1-adaptation-pc kernel and modules, no complaints whatever, and its antiquated Xorg figures everything out and gives the correct monitor resolution without my even intervening.

What it all boils down to, if Intel really, really wanted to provide first-class Cedarview support, they would include a matching Xorg executable with their Fedora package. That would make the package portable to most other flavors of Linux, new and old. The Xorg executable is what gives the server version, and plainly your server version (your Xorg executable) doesn't match.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi powerarmour

I have done the same as you on Ubuntu 12.04 but with my Intel D2700MUD motherboard. After installing the new drivers, video acceleration was much better but the CPU seemed to be pummelled from somewhere! My Conky was showing Xorg constantly up around 80% CPU usage. Heavily scripted webpages were almost impossible to navigate (my ruTorrent was unusable). I've just uninstalled the drivers and now Xorg is back to normal, right now around 3% CPU usage showing from Conky. Did you notice any strange increase in CPU usage after installing the driver? Anybody else?

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

No didn't notice anything odd with CPU usage myself, but performance isn't exactly something I'm expecting this early on yet tbh. I'm sure it could easily be a bug.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There is one more thing: The very latest Ubuntu 12.04 depends on a file system not supported by the MeeGo/Tizen kernel (aufs). So, if you try to make Ubuntu work on anything Cedarview, you have to re-compile the kernel, complete with the proprietary parts, and add the aufs file system support. And, I have my doubts about how many organizations have the facilities to do this. Much less the "official" Ubuntu ppa.

Well, there is an ugly way to do it, of course. You resurrect the old 915resolution program, and add a few lines to make it work for Cedarview. You then run it in Ubuntu on a netbook to trick vesa_drv.so into thinking the video bios supports the monitor resolution, which is not part of the video bios. No need for uvesafb.ko for this version, but mplayer is crummy this way. Xine, however hath charms to sooth the savage operating sytem, as does the official Ubuntu xine plugin, which is very amenable to going full screen by first making the browser go full screen and other tricks. Willing to bet that's what Asus did.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

How to install the latest driver? "cdv-gfx-drivers-1.0.1_bee.tar.bz2"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

cdv-gfx-drivers-1.0.1_bee.tar.bz2 from intel

for ubuntu-debian this works with 3.1.10 to make kernel and rest is in install file.

instruction will make deb package :

linux-image-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

linux-headers-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

cd /usr/src

sudo wget --continue http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.0/linux-3.1.10.tar.bz2 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.0/linux-3.1.10.tar.bz2

sudo tar jxvf linux-3.1.10.tar.bz2

cd linux-3.1.10

# sudo cp xxxx/kernel-ttm-clear-high.patch /usr/src/linux-3.1.10

# sudo cp xxxx/cedarview-kernel-v1.0.1_bee.patch /usr/src/linux-3.1.10

sudo patch -p1 < kernel-ttm-clear-high.patch

sudo patch -p1 < cedarview-kernel-v1.0.1_bee.patch

sudo cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config

sudo nano drivers/staging/Kconfig

# Add the following line to drivers/staging/Kconfig:

# source "drivers/staging/cdv/Kconfig"

sudo nano drivers/staging/Makefile

# Add the following line to drivers/staging/Makefile:

# obj-$(CONFIG_DRM_INTEL_CDV) += cdv/

sudo make menuconfig

To enable the Cedarview kernel driver component, be sure to set the following

kernel config variables:

CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y

# CONFIG_DRM_PSB is not set

CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_HDMI=y

CONFIG_DRM_INTEL_CDV=y

CONFIG_DRM_CDV_RELEASE=y

# CONFIG_DRM_CDV_DEBUG is not set

# CONFIG_DRM_PVR_PDUMP is not set

sudo make-kpkg clean

sudo fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-cedarview kernel_image kernel_headers

cd ../

# this vill install kernel and headers

sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

that all i documented, it is just kernel like use meego

if dont work remove it

sudo dpkg -r linux-image-3.1.10-cedarview_3.1.10-cedarview-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

peter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any reason why not doing this based on the latest 3.4 kernels?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the tuto!!

What about the "cedarview-libwsbm", "libva", "cedarview-userspace" and "cedarview-vaapi". Are they needed? And if so, how to install them?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

it wont build with 3.4 , the patches are for 3.1.1

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

driver does not work for me I wrote earlier, because I have a different version of xorg, when I installed an older version of PRECIS xorg drivers work but the performance was weak, something that bugs We are using quantal.

tutorial is only for those who want to try the cedarview_gfx.

my another 3.4 kernel module works with gma500_gfx but you can not use Intel CDV-gfx-drivers-1.0.1_bee.tar.bz2 with it.

if you want to install read the install, unpack and it is everything to be copied into the system /.

You're doing it at your own risk

if somebody get lucky on ubuntu let here know

peter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I bought a ASUS 1025C for my studies and I realize that the installation of Linux (and more precisely Ubuntu 12.04) with a GMA3650 is really complicated. So Intel, how long must I wait before having a real driver with fully implementation of Intel' technologies ????

I think already to sell my PC and buy another more "linux friendly", many people rely on you to not disappoint them...

Please help linux community

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can try Ubuntu 12.04 and the instructions found here : http://daily.siebler.eu/2012/06/ubuntu-12-04-driver-for-intel-cedarview-atom-n2000-und-d2000-serie/ http://daily.siebler.eu/2012/06/ubuntu-12-04-driver-for-intel-cedarview-atom-n2000-und-d2000-serie/ to install the cedarview drivers. As far as the drivers went, and the ability to play video, everything was fine. The problem for me was after installing the driver, Xorg CPU usage hit the roof and (in my opinion) the system became unusable. I haven't heard anyone else complain of this problem though...

Cam

0 Kudos