Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Generic & non-generic driver

idata
Employee

I have an intel gm965 graphics card(i know the number is 965 not sure the name) and it seems like there has been a number of updates for my card but when i try to install it it tells me to go to the manufactors site and download the driver from there. But it seems like Dell(My OEM) hasnt been keeping up to date themselves either, as the've stopped upateing drivers up to version 1.14 and the intel page has version 1.15. Is this a dead end for me or is there a way I can update my driver so I can enjoy the benefits of more functionality.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Bump

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there,

Well it's up to you to try that one that is most up-to-date and see if it helps, but is normally not recommended. Most of the time it will work, but just in case it has not work you will have to use the drivers provided from Dell.

My laptop from Acer has got the Intel Wireless card however, at own risk i tried using the drivers provided by Intel and till now it is working fine.

In general you should only use the drivers provided by the OEM, but provided you know what you are doing you can try the Intel but there is no guarantee that it will work.

Hope this will be useful.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So Is there a way to bypass the block that the generic driver is giving me, not allowing me to install it

0 Kudos