Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20677 Discussions

Graphic driver on new Inspiron 15, 5000 series crashes regularly

idata
Employee

I bought this new laptop and at least once, usually more times a day the graphic driver crashes and recovers again. It can be quite interrupting and should not happen in a new laptop.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
38 Replies
SSyno
Novice

Your Dell Inspiron has an Intel HD 520 which is built into the CPU.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That is what I got from Belarc:

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi Dagmar,

How can you have two Display Adapters in the Laptop Computer? Do you have the Radeon Disabled?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That is a very good question, I was wondering that myself. As I said above, it is a new laptop and came like that. Strange, isn't it?

It says for both that they are working. Could it be with all I went through (see thread) that I installed the Intel driver additionally?
0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi Dagmar,

Go into the Device Manager and expand Display Adapters and see how many you have available. Use the Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all Drivers from the computer. Go into Computer BIOS and disable one of them. You might touch base with the Computer Manufacturer and ask them why you have two, where you only need one.

0 Kudos
SSyno
Novice

Dual graphics adapters is normal. It's a feature in many laptops. When you're not gaming or doing any graphically intensive tasks, Windows will use the Intel display adapter. When you fire up a game or some other graphically intensive application, Windows will use the discrete display adapter.

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Synomenon wrote:

Dual graphics adapters is normal. It's a feature in many laptops. When you're not gaming or doing any graphically intensive tasks, Windows will use the Intel display adapter. When you fire up a game or some other graphically intensive application, Windows will use the discrete display adapter.

Why not simply increase the Graphics Memory instead?

Or why not simply install the same Graphics Brand instead of two different brands?

0 Kudos
SSyno
Novice

Simply increasing the graphics memory isn't the same. The NVIDIA or AMD GPU will have a faster graphics processor as well.

Intel doesn't make high-end gaming GPUs. NVIDIA and AMD do. That's why they use different brands.

0 Kudos
vguzm1
Beginner

"Note: You need 8 GBs of Ram or more to run Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit without crashing."

Wut, I have a laptop with 6GB of RAM and no crashes whatsoever. Where is your source on that?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I do have 8GB, but it is not Windows that crashes 😉

0 Kudos
SSyno
Novice

I have a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series notebook with an i3-6100 / HD520 graphics. I get that display driver stopped responding popup that Sunny2000 posted, constantly. As soon as I login, the issue starts and sometimes it does it continuously, non-stop until I just have to shut the notebook down.

I've tried using every driver for the HD520 I can find. I always do it with a clean install of Windows 10. If the specific version of the graphics driver I try has the issue, I secure erase the SSD, install Win10 x64 from scratch and try the next driver.

I haven't found a fix for this yet other than installing Windows 8.1 instead of 10.

KMcBr
Novice

Ive been getting that lately, well once today actually, on my Lenovo i5 4210u HD4400 Laptop Windows 8.1, running an older driver but its been very stable. It happened kinda like yours does, for no real reason after about an hour from a fresh restart. I checked the Event Viewer and nothing weird happened around that time, except the Display crash, which there was only one other one way back months ago. I was plugged in via HDMI though, so not sure if something happened there, while I was out of the room. The last thing I installed was an HP printer driver and software. When I looked at my services I hade a couple weird new HP services, NET DRIVER HPZ12 and PML DRIVER HPZ12. I uninstalled the driver and removed those services and haven't had an issue yet. Im wondering if there are some incompatible services running on your system. Even though its new, that's a possibility. Have you checked for any new drivers or bios updates on the dell website for your machine?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Interesting... As I installed my new laptop I had to install the driver for my HP printer. Hmmmm....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No crash in days! I thought maybe, just maybe something happened and all is good now. Until 5 minutes ago...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
vguzm1
Beginner

It is very random right? Sometimes I can be watching videos and playing games and nothing. But sometimes it will crash every 5 min.

I have tested my system underr Linux and I don't have any problem. I really hope we get an update this week because we need our computers to work.

0 Kudos
MCohe6
Beginner

Hi Dagmar and All,

Don't forget to run Check Disk or Error Checking for the File System. Windows 10 can report No Errors, yet other operating systems like Windows XP, can. I do not know Linux. If there is an error in the File System, can cause an upgrade to fail. I know, I experienced this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Done, still crashing. More again the last 2 days 😞

0 Kudos