Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20710 Discussions

HD 3000 driver forced subpixel antialising after update to 9.x version

PVone1
Beginner

I have Lenovo X220 notebook (Core i5, HD 3000), Windows 7 x64 SP1. I can't stand any kind of antialiasing so I use Windows Classic theme and have ClearType disabled in Performance Options.

After video driver update from version 8.15.10.2769 to 9.17.10.2843 (Lenovo specific versions) I noticed the black text on grey background is blurry and some kind of antialiasing (different than the Windows one) was applied after the update. I couldn't find any way to disable it, no such option in Intel Graphics panel. The only way to get rid of it was rollback to old 8 version. Notice I'm talking about Windows desktop, not a 3D games.

Is there any solution for it (at least edit a value in registry) ? I don't want to use older (possibly buggy and vulnerable) version but this kind of forced antialiasing is blocking issue for me. Attached screenshot (poor image quality) shows the difference, it needs a fullscreen view. Notice the forced red "ghosting" on the right edge of black pixels.

More observations. It affects all output on the notebook display, not a text rendering only. For example BMP or PNG image with screenshot of Start menu without antialiased text also looks blurry now. On the other hand digital output to external monitor is not affected (not blurry). It seems as the new driver set some kind of hardware antialiasing (or less sharpness) in the notebook display controller, is it possible ? I've tried all advanced Intel Graphics panel settings and nothing helped.

The change (non-blurry to blurry text) happens in the middle of a new driver installation, even before restart.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
49 Replies
MRakh1
Beginner
0 Kudos
PVone1
Beginner

jimm3rs wrote:

I had the same problem with my Lenovo x220. Ended up installing previous version (8.15.10.2769

Hi,

thanks for confirmation of the issue. FYI I have http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Intel-HD-video-driver-update-forced-antialiasing-problem/m-p/1096325 posted it to the official Lenovo forum as well without any success yet.

0 Kudos
AVl
Beginner

I had the same problem with my Lenovo E520 and Lenovo SL510

0 Kudos
PVone1
Beginner

AndreyVl wrote:

I had the same problem with my Lenovo E520 and Lenovo SL510

Thanks. Since other Lenovo HD3000 models are also affected, still no hope to get it fixed other than reverting back to older 8.x driver version ?

There is another report of the issue http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=111111 ThinkPad X220 IPS LCD distortion including very good mockup picture that shows the issue.

0 Kudos
AVl
Beginner

On Lenovo SL510 (3 pieces) with x4500HD helped to roll back to the original driver from Lenovo. and all the same thing as you, on my Lenovo E520(2 pieces) one of them with HD3000 and another with HD2000. win7 no difference 32bit/ 64bit

0 Kudos
PVone1
Beginner

Do you have any 30 series (T430, E530) to check the issue there ? HD3000 is not the only chip that is affected, weird. Is the issue specific to Lenovo machines or other brands are also affected ? I am wondering how comes there aren't lots of reports of the issue. Maybe majority of customers is not updating the driver ?

0 Kudos
JErns
Beginner

Hello Intel,

are you willing to solve / solving this issue, i.e. restore clarity of display as it was with the 8.x drivers?

This is really a pain since all our Laptops need to get stuck on win7 because of that.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have not been able to replicate this matter. Please fill out the following form in order to try to replicate this issue:

Allan.

0 Kudos
JErns
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Blurry display (not only text) when using 9.x drivers with HD3000 and win8 and win10. Driver 8.x in Win7 works without any blur.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

100%

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo Thinkpad x220

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No, only HD3000

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

n/a

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

n/a

<t...
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for the information. I will update this thread as soon as I get any details on this lab.

Allan.
0 Kudos
JErns
Beginner

Thank you, that would be great.

However, I think also this thread contains respective information to not force one to replicate on the exact machine given in the table.

I could guess the developers would have some clue where this is coming from, since the line is clearly from 8.x to 9.x drivers and not so much bound to HW or OS.

Best

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please bear in mind that I will test Intel® HD Graphics 3000 on Windows® 7 and 8 since you are aware that Windows® 10 does not offer graphics driver support for your graphics controller.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JErns
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you!

However, the OS is not so important. For first tryout you can already observe this by just using 8.x vs 9.x in Windows 7.

Best

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Testing results:

Demo: Toshiba Satellite U840

Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 3000

Windows® 7 64 bit

Windows® 8 64 bit

Graphics Driver version: 4229

After fresh operating system installation, I did not observe blurry images, text, videos, social media.

Can you post graphics driver versions you consider are working or not working for your computer?

Allan.

0 Kudos
JErns
Beginner

Hello,

From your description it seems you tested on both os with driver version 4229, so the 9.x version?

The difference is visible between 8.x and 9.x version of the graphics driver. Please also see first post in this thread.

(Win 8 vs win7 is only mentioned because 8.x is only available for win7 and when using win8 you have to use the 9.x driver)

0 Kudos
Mx1
Beginner

it seems to be limited to Lenovo thinkpads only. do you have any way to test it on some x220/t420/t520?

I have T520 and the same issue. Look here, you'll find some photos. It's not possible to grab a screenshot of this.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The closest one I have is the x320 Lenovo system and I do not see this issue there.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JErns
Beginner

..but I believe you acknowledge the issue exists, maybe not for the 320 but others, looking at the numerous examples and proof in this thread. Right?

0 Kudos
Mx1
Beginner

thsi is 3rd gen Intel. Issue is related only to 2nd gen. Hope you saw my photos in the other thread.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

@smg, you were asking for Lenovo, and that is what I got. As mentioned on post 38 with Intel® HD Graphics 3000. I have not been able to replicate this issue.

Allan.

0 Kudos
PVone1
Beginner

allan_intel napsal(a):

The closest one I have is the x320 Lenovo system and I do not see this issue there.

Allan.

No, you can not reproduce it on .30 ThinkPad systems like X230. You need older generation, X220 or T420 laptop.

The importance of the issue has raised with Windows 10 upgrade again. The built-in driver is version is 9.x so the issue is back. Unfortunately the older 8.x driver version does not work with Windows 10. So please either diagnose and fix the issue with 9.x driver family or support installation of the 8.x driver on Windows 10.

Thanks

0 Kudos