Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

HD 4000 triple monitor works in Linux, not Windows

DLars1
Beginner

I have a Lenovo T430 with Intel HD 4000 and the Lenovo Mini Dock Plus. I have connected two identical displays using the DisplayPort connectors on the dock and would like to keep the laptop's internal display also active.

I've tried various combinations, but no matter what I choose, I can only have two displays active at any given time in Windows 8 (64-bit). The Intel website shows a third display option will appear in the control panel, but I have yet to see it appear. I even tried updating to the latest driver available on Intel's website without any improvement.

What's very odd is this same laptop and configuration works fine in Ubuntu 11.04 with all three displays enabled. It seems very odd to me that the Windows driver is limited, yet the Linux driver is not.

Is there any trick to force the third display to enable? Is this a problem with Windows 8 or a limitation of the driver?

0 Kudos
90 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@lyt , We do not "magically" delete posts. The only reason a post will get deleted is if it contains profanity or other disrespectful language.

@drlarsen, We have not "crippled" anything in the driver preventing 3 display to work. I am current typing this on a HD4000 system with 3 displays active and Windows* 8 64.

@lyt, The HDMI display you are using, does it have a VGA or DVI connector? If so, could you try using it to connect to the GA-Z77X with the other 2 displays connected to the Thunderbolt ports. Let me know the result.

Also, are you using the Intel HD Graphics driver supplied by Gigabyte* or are you using the latest from Intel Download Center? Do you have the latest System BIOS for your GA-Z77X?

And finally, what TB to DVI adapters are you using? Brand name model?

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

Then how do you explain triple monitors working in Ubuntu without the need to buy active adapters as is the case in Windows? If there is an explanation other than a driver limitation, I cannot think of it!

Afterall, Windows *sees* all three monitors, but the Intel driver *chooses* to only enable two of them. With the active adapters in place and everything else the same, magically the option to enable all three appears.

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

I love the word magically

I thought my last post would actually get a response sorry to have to ruffle feathers. I do not use profanity ever.... I do sometimes get frustrated.

Anyway, here is the deal.

I purchased 3 of the exact same monitor, since you could not fix the blackscreen issue. They have dvi or vga inputs. 1920x1080 @ 60hz

monitor 1: thunderbolt port # 1 out > passive TB/DVI adapter > DVI monitor input

monitor 2: thunderbolt port # 2 out > passive TB/DVI adapter > DVI monitor input

monitor 3: HDMI out > HDMI to DVI Adapter > DVI monitor input

this is exactly how the manual tells me to do it. however i have tried other configs.

Now the only thing I can think.... is that there are only two clocks which in that case i need an active adapter. But don't you think it is pretty sorry if Ubuntu can run it and Windows can't? If this is truly the case....then it is 100% scam.

all drivers and bios are latest

monoprice passive adapters 99% success rate

like I said earlier....all adapters are actually working but just not all 3 at once.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@lyt, try running one of the displays off of the MB VGA connector. (VGA --> VGA)

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

yes I know I can do that, but really? VGA? Wasn't I using that on my TRS 80?

BTW I think the blackscreen issue has something to do with 70 HZ

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

"VGA? Wasn't I using that on my TRS 80?"

And it still works like a champ.

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

lol....

ok trying.....

dplarsen....sorry to hijack.... but you really opened a can of worms

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

ok vga no work

ok so

dvi vga dp no work

dp dp vga no work

dp dp dvi no work

dp dp hdmi no work

any other suggestions?

I can only assume the active adapter must be used for only the two clocks on dvi right?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@lyt, OK thanks for trying. I am looking to see if we have your model motherboard in our lab to see if I can replicate the issue. Also, do you have the make and model of the TB to DVI adapters you are using? Also the HDMI to DVI adapter. And what model of displays are you using?

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

Robert you sound like Jay Carney covering for Intel.

monitors: HannsGHE225DPB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254100 Hanns-G HE225DPB Black 21.5&# 34; 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd&# 47;m2 Active Contrast 40,000,000&# 58;1 &# 40;1,000&# 58;1&# 41; Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

adapters: monoprice

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2 HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Please, no,, anyone but Jay.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

Note that Monoprice states those adapters are passive. If only Intel could see the pattern here...

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Noted, also note I am using passive adapters successfully.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

With a triple monitor setup attached to a single HD 4000 and the same drivers available to the public? I find it hard to believe!

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

My monitors ONLY take DVI or VGA. not DP or mDP or TB or HDMI

here is some interesting reading.....especially the comments.... it's a little long.... but worth the read.

http://www.overclock.net/t/721931/active-vs-passive-displayport-adapters-the-truth Active vs. Passive Displayport adapters *the truth*

is this the problem? how many DVI digital clocks are put out by hd4000? this is the simple issue. If 2 then I need an active adapter....if 3 or more.... then what is the issue?

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

tell me how your system is set up Rob....

and why my $300 mobo with 2 DP outs and a DVI VGA and HDMI cant seem to work?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner
0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

and everytime I try to extend or clone # 3 I get "cannot save settings"

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

I'm certain that there are only 2 clocks in the HD 4000 and that this is the reason for the limitation in the Windows driver. However, it is clearly possible to share 1 clock with two identical monitors as it works in the Linux driver.

The basis of my complaint is that the Windows driver does not recognize this situation nor does it provide an option to override the limitation. Even if they didn't want to support the choice via the GUI, I'm sure advanced users would be happy enabling it via a registry key.

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

wow drlarsen is just hammering intel right now....

what do you have to say for this? I have 2 monitors on TB ports.... so why cant I do this?

I am not a 15 yr old kid who is asking mom for 50 bucks to buy an adapter..... I want this functionality, why can't I have it?

and what is worse.... windows sees all 3 monitors just fine.

0 Kudos