Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20810 Discussions

HD Gfx Driver 15.33.18.64.3496 not releasing hotkeys when they are disabled

VLab
Beginner

Hello,

I use the Sublime text editor which makes heavy use of the keys ctrl-alt-down and ctrl-alt-up. After upgrading to the HD Graphics Driver to 15.33.18.64.3496 I cannot use these key combinations even though the Manage Hot Keys option is disabled.

So I enabled them in Manage Hotkeys and changed them to alt-shift-F11 and F12 and then they worked in Sublime.

Then to be sure, I clicked on Manage Hot Keys Restore Defaults and they did not work again in Sublime.

Then I repeated the workaround by changing them and disabled the option in Manage Hot Keys and still they did not work in Sublime. In fact after doing the Restore Default there seems to be no way to get the driver to release these hotkeys to applications.

I have used the Ethervane ActiveHotkeys utility to conclude that this Driver registers the hotkeys and does not release them when the option is disabled and this is a problem with other applications like Sublime.

I have upgraded from driver 9.18.10.3071

Please look into this issue,

Thank you

Windows 7 x64 Pro 6.1.7601, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Driver 10.18.10.3496

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SOWMYA_N_Intel
Employee

Hi, Update on the CUI HotKey functionality: If Hot Key is enabled, it does CUI operation - for e.g. "Screen Orientation". It is a system wide behavior regardless of the application user is currently in. Also, when the Hotkeys are disabled, it cannot be released for use in another application as we cannot register the same keys back. Resolution / Workaround: 1. When a user wants to use a particular hotkey combination, for example "Ctrl+Alt+UpArrow", rename the key to any other key combination e.g. "Ctrl+Alt+U". Now the "Ctrl+Alt+UpArrow" will get unregistered and will be released to be used in any user applications. 2. Other option is to kill the Hotkey manager process (igfxHK.exe) from task manger. This will release the keys that can in turn be used in users application. Let me know if this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ vlab, I am not sure I completely understand the issue you are having but I think you are trying to disable the Hotkey function for the Intel HD Graphics driver, correct? If yes, please do the following to disable hotkeys for Intel HD Graphics.

1. Right click desktop and click "Graphics Options" --> "Hot Keys" --> Disable

0 Kudos
XLu5
Beginner

Same problem here, mark.

Robert U, I'd suggest you reading op more carefully, specially the "does not release them when the option is disabled" part.

OP, thanks for mention the tool, but sadly it's for x86 only.

A temporal way is to kill the "igfxHK.exe" process.

0 Kudos
VLab
Beginner

As msg7086 has discovered, the igfxHK.exe process, which manages the globak hotkeys, has a bug in this driver release.

This driver release once installed enables the global hotkeys by default, so if you press ctrl-alt-down your screen turns upside down. If you have an application that also uses these hotkeys, you must disable the graphics hotkeys or change them -- as your screenshot shows above. However, when you disable the hotkeys it is of no help because the hotkeys are still not made available to your application.

This is a bug. please forward it to the software developers. It makes using applications like Sublime impossible unless you end task the igfxHK.exe process.

@ msg7086

Even though the tool is x86, it works fine on Win 7 x64.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

just received a windows update with driver version 10.18.10.3621 and this is still not fixed

what's up intel?

and btw the registration process on this site is horrible

0 Kudos
PPita
Beginner

Same here like the previous posters, update with version 10.18.10.3621 did NOT FIX this problem.

I have resorted to scripting a "taskkill /IM igfxhk.exe" while this bug is not fixed.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Pedroagp,

I am really sorry you are still having problems with the driver 3621.

We have created a post where users can post feedback about the driver. All information received related to the driver is very important for us and will help us solving issues on future releases.

Here is the thread:

/thread/52124 https://communities.intel.com/thread/52124

0 Kudos
SA_1
Novice

Ah, it turns out I'm not alone here...

In case that may be of use to someone, I've temporarily circumvented that bug by deleting everything related to the hotkeys from [HKEY_USERS\*\Software\Intel\Display\igfxcui\HotKeys] (the entries in question are binary values with hex data). I didn't bother with figuring out which entry relates to which hotkey -- just got rid of them all.

As usual, be careful with editing registry and backup the branch you edit in case something goes not the way it should.

I've started a thread yesterday; here it is, just in case:

0 Kudos
SOWMYA_N_Intel
Employee

Hi, Update on the CUI HotKey functionality: If Hot Key is enabled, it does CUI operation - for e.g. "Screen Orientation". It is a system wide behavior regardless of the application user is currently in. Also, when the Hotkeys are disabled, it cannot be released for use in another application as we cannot register the same keys back. Resolution / Workaround: 1. When a user wants to use a particular hotkey combination, for example "Ctrl+Alt+UpArrow", rename the key to any other key combination e.g. "Ctrl+Alt+U". Now the "Ctrl+Alt+UpArrow" will get unregistered and will be released to be used in any user applications. 2. Other option is to kill the Hotkey manager process (igfxHK.exe) from task manger. This will release the keys that can in turn be used in users application. Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos