Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20635 Discussions

(HD Graphics 620) DXVA2 artifacts when rendering H264 content.

spheta
Beginner

I'm getting occasional decoding artifacts on the right side of my screen when using the DXVA2 hardware decoder in media player or MPC-HC. The corruption occurs rarely (1/100000 frames rendered) and only on right side of the window. Has anyone else encountered this?

I might be looking at a hardware fault in the Intel graphics HD 620's media decoding engine "gen9.5" (fault in the fixed function VQE is suspected). I just need to be sure. The problem seems to resolve when I disable the hardware noise reduction post processing filter in Image enhancement (Intel graphics control panel).

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, Thank you for the information provided. Please allow us some time to check if we can go ahead and replicate the issue, I'll be posting back with the outcome. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, Thank you for your response. I tested a system with the same graphics and I did not experience any artifacts issues when rendering H264 videos using the MPC-HC* (latest version) and Windows Media Player*. Using the latest graphics driver version: 26.20.100.6861 with Windows* 1809. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28783/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=96551 Please let me know if there's any missing step, that will help us to replicate the issue you're having. Also, if you keep having the issue, I'd highly recommend you to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of your laptop to check if its more like a hardware issue, or limitation. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
spheta
Beginner

Hi, It would appear to be an issue specific to lenovo then. All of the steps provided were accurate.

I did initially think it was a defect specific to my unit but I have since been able to produce the problem on 2 identical machines (X1C6, 20KHCTO1WW) so i'm ruling a manufacturing defect out as a possibility. Unfortunately, the driver version you referenced (26.20.100.6861) has not yet been validated and approved for this platform by lenovo, so Intel's driver package will block an install attempt to my machine. I can force install 26.20.100.6861 and see how that results. I'll also try and get in touch with a support engineer from lenovo if its possible. I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this matter, thank you

-Daniel

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, You’re very welcome and thank you for the information provided. It seems that the artifacts are being caused by the hardware you’re using. In this case, the reason why we tell our customers to install the latest driver by their system manufacturer is because they validate and customize the driver to properly work in their system. That’s why we highly recommend you to contact them and provide the feedback to see if they can help you on this matter. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos