Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

HD3000 Windows 8 drivers BSOD on install

idata
Employee

I'm having an issue installing Windows 8 drivers for HD3000 graphics on a Shuttle SH67H3. Each time I try to install the latest drivers, the PC crashes with a BSOD showing a 'VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE' message.

This happens with Windows 8 when installing the latest drivers (and the previous version) from Intel, the drivers provided by Shuttle and the drivers that are automatically installed from Microsoft. In each case, during the installation of the drivers, the PC crashes and gives the BSOD mentioned above.

This DOES NOT happen with either Windows 7, or Windows 8.1; in each of these cases, the drivers seem to install successfully.

The system specs are:

Shuttle SH67H3

Intel i5-2500K (HD3000 graphics)

16Gb RAM as 4x 4Gb sticks

Seagate 1Tb HDD

DVD drive

I've seen a number of others with the same experience, but nobody seems to have a solution - can anyone help?

Many thanks!

Andy

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello AJDawson,

Based on your description I recommend you doing the following steps:

1. Please test different memory sticks on your computer.
  2. Uninstall the current driver and install the driver that can be downloaded at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22628&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09Drivers%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09

1. We as Intel ® provide the hardware to computer system manufacturer and they will develop the custom drivers for their units. Due to this, it is also important to get their drivers directly from their site.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've tried a couple of different sets of memory in the PC and have tested each set (using memtest+ x86) and they have all passed.

I've just tried a default install of Windows 8 with the drivers from your link, and they crash on installation in exactly the same way that all of the others that I've tried have.

Andy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I should also add that the drivers provided by Shuttle for this machine for the Intel HD3000 video adaptor also crash the machine in exactly the same way.

Andy

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi AJDawson,

We have tested the driver using Intel motherboards but we have not been able to replicate the issue.

Have you tried another processor? This can help us discarding an internal problem with the onboard graphics on the processor you are using.

0 Kudos
MSouz6
Beginner

I'm having the same problem.

This DOES NOT happen with either Windows 7, or Windows 8.1; in each of these cases, the drivers seem to install successfully. Like with Andy's PC.

If I try to execute some app that uses more of the video performance, the Windows show a popup with a fail in the Nvidia Driver, but this driver is installed correctly.

The systems specs are:

Intel i7-2720QM (HD3000 graphics)

Nvidia Geforce GT-540M ( Optimus Tecnology)

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm working on sourcing a spare CPU at the moment to test to see if the CPU could be the issue.

I'm assuming however that due to the fact that it works correctly in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, that this probably isn't the case.

Andy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Unfortunately the new drivers from the link above have not corrected the issue and the drivers crash on installation in the same way that the others I've tried do.

I've also been told that at the moment I cannot buy another CPU to test whether the CPU is the issue with the Shuttle. If someone has one I could borrow to do some testing... 🙂

Andy

0 Kudos
MSouz6
Beginner

It's happening the BSOD at my laptop with Windows 7 as well. If I install the driver of the link or whatever other, but not happened anything with the first instalation of drivers who the Windows installed as soon as the system was installed.

I want to know, why the log of the BSOD shows a Nvidia file (nvlddmkm.sys), if the error occured when I was installing an Intel Driver.

I have tested the Hard disk and the memories and nothing. Should have a problem with the CPU or the external GPU...

Marcos Aurelio

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello all,

I have been testing the drivers from our side and I have not been able to replicate the issue. I have used different processors and different systems but so far everything is working fine for me. At this point, I recommend you contacting the system manufacturer and get their drivers since your system may need a custom driver.

0 Kudos
DSith1
Beginner

Hello Kevin. I registered here just to share my experience with similiar problem. My previous motherboard - Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (latest bios) was affected by this problem since i switched to Ivy Bridge CPU and HD4000. At the beginning I had a i5 2500K and Intel HD3000 graphics. Everything worked great and I was able to reinstall the driver, any number of times. Then I changed the cpu to 3570k and 3770K. In both cases, the first driver installation finished successfully, but any attempt to re-install / uninstall the driver (regardless of version 15.28.x - 15.31.x ) ended in BSOD ( IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL and VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE ). I wasn't able to restart the pc, I was forced to format and reinstall the whole system, or insert external graphic card. I would add that it has been done on multiple operating systems ( win7 x64, win 7 x86 and win 8 x64). Until finally I found the solution (only for advanced users, at your OWN risk ), I downloaded the original bios file and "injected " into it, latest Ivy Bridge microcode update revision 19, and SVGA Rom build v 2158. I "extract" them from other bios file, different model, different manufacturer.. (by default was microcode rev15 and rom v2126). This completely solved the BSOD problem caused by reinstall drivers for Intel HD Graphics !

Later I changed my motherboard to a higher (very similar) model - Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3. The board with the latest BIOS, although it also has an older microcode (15) and previous vga rom v2126... this problem does not occur in this model.

I do not think it just depends on the model, or from the manufacturer (problem occurs mainly on Asrock motherboards, but not only). My theory is that it may depend on the "revision" of motherboard or something similar (factory defect..?). I know people who sent to warranty, and received new motherboards, on which the problem does not occur. In my case it helped to "modify" the bios, my current mainboard did not have this problem .. I'm not smart enough to fully understand it but I hope that this information will help someone to solve similar problems in the future (maybe this will help Intel engineers, to reproduce this issue).

.. to all who have this (or similar) problem, if your motherboard have a problem with bsod, related to Intel HD Graphics, write to the manufacturer to prepare the bios file for you, with the latest SVGA Rom implemented, also the latest available microcode for your CPU. There is a good chance that this will solve all of your problems..

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for this feedback. This will also be forwarded to the corresponding department for future considerations.

0 Kudos