Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

HD4000 graphics driver restarts notebook

BBayk1
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my HP envy dv6 notebook. It has Intel HD4000 graphics and NVidia GT 635M adapters on it. When windows is booting, or I run a program in maximised screen after boot, or trying to install/choose HD4000 driver, notebook suddenly restarts. When I choose microsoft basic adapter driver (in safe mode) as the driver of hd4000 adapter it don't restarts but I can't adjust screen brightness and can't use hdmi output. The issue is on both windows 7 and windows 10. I installed the latest driver for windows 10 from Intel's website also the latest one and one driver which works well before on windows 7, but still same. I am starting to think it is a hardware issue but I am not sure. Is there anyone who has an idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello berkbaykal,

Could you please let us know the driver version you're running? Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
BBayk1
Beginner

Hello

The driver version is 10.18.10.4252 running on win 10 pro x64.

Thanks...

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Have you tried installing the driver from your computer manufacturer?

Have you tried installing a different version from our site https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81499/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000-for-3rd-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors Drivers & Software?

Regards.

0 Kudos
BBayk1
Beginner

The manufacturer doesn't give windows 10 drivers. It only gives for windows 8. My notebook came with windows 8 installed. When I buy it, I installed a clean windows 7 and after some painful attempts I can install all drivers and they all worked properly. So I backup that system. When I need to install windows again, I used this backup since 2 years. After windows 10 upgrade, notebook runs with no problem at all. But after the driver updated via windows update, notebook started to restart unexpectedly. Oftenly after login screen and running (right after double click to icon) a maximised screen program (like a browser or ms word etc.). So I go back to windows 7 with my back up which works perfect for two years but restarts are still continuing. Now I have to run the adapter with Microsoft Basic Display driver. There is no restart anymore but I can not adjust screen brightness and can not use hdmi output which is attached to nvidia gpu. That's the story. Now I am thinking it's a hardware problem because same problem occured on windows 7 which was running perfectly. I am planning to put the cpu to bga rework but I need to be sure.

Thanks...

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

If the your computer manufacturer does not provide drivers for Windows® 10 this is a significant aspect because it means that your computer is not officially validated to work with Windows 10, bear in mind that our graphics driver are generic and if you are installing them on your laptop the performance will depend on the features on your system and in this case it will depend if your computer can officially support Windows 10.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos