Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

HP 2311gt not detected on start-up with Arc A380 using the 31.0.101.5333 driver

JasonStern
Novice

When Windows boots, my HP 2311gt monitor is not detected on start-up. Running an Asrock Arc A380 using the 31.0.101.5333 driver using the HDMI port. Unplugging and plugging the monitor back in after Windows has booted corrects the problem, but that is quite annoying.

Vendor/Product Identification:

Monitor Name : HP 2311gt
Monitor Serial Number : 3CQ147NQ4R
Manufacturer Name : Hewlett Packard
Product Id : 2980
Serial Number : 16843009
Week Of Manufacture : 47
Year Of Manufacture : 2011
EDIDVersion : V1.3
Number Of Extension Flag : 0

Display parameters:

Video Input Definition : Digital Signal
DFP1X Compatible Interface : False
Max Horizontal Image Size : 510 mm
Max Vertical Image Size : 290 mm
Max Display Size : 23.1 Inches

Power Management and Features:

Standby : Not Supported
Suspend : Not Supported
ActiveOff : Supported
Video Input : 1
sRGB Default ColorSpace : False
Default GTF : Not Supported
Prefered Timing Mode : True

Gamma/Color and Established Timings:

Display Gamma : 2.2
Red : x = 0.636 - y = 0.333
Green : x = 0.303 - y = 0.626
Blue : x = 0.153 - y = 0.07
White : x = 0.313 - y = 0.329

Established Timings :
800 x 600 @ 60Hz (VESA)
640 x 480 @ 60Hz (IBM, VGA)
720 x 400 @ 70Hz (IBM, VGA)
1024 x 768 @ 60Hz (VESA)

Display Type : RGB Color Display

Standard Timing:

Standard Timings n° 1
X Resolution : 1280
Y Resolution : 720
Vertical Frequency : 60

Standard Timings n° 2
X Resolution : 1280
Y Resolution : 1024

Standard Timings n° 5
X Resolution : 1920
Y Resolution : 1080

Preferred Detailed Timing:

Pixel Clock : 148.5 Mhz

Horizontal Active : 1920 pixels
Horizontal Blanking : 280 pixels
Horizontal Sync Offset : 88 pixels
Horizontal Sync Pulse Width : 44 pixels
Horizontal Border : 0 pixels
Horizontal Size : 510 mm

Vertical Active : 1080 lines
Vertical Blanking : 45 lines
Vertical Sync Offset : 4 lines
Vertical Sync Pulse Width : 5 lines
Vertical Border : 0 lines
Vertical Size : 287 mm

Input Type : Digital Separate
Interlaced : False
VerticalPolarity : True
HorizontalPolarity : True

Monitor Range Limit:

Maximum Vertical Frequency : 76 Hz
Minimum Vertical Frequency : 50 Hz
Maximum Horizontal Frequency : 94 KHz
Minimum Horizontal Frequency : 24 KHz
Maximum Pixel Clock : 170 MHz

Stereo Display:

Stereo Display : Normal display (no stereo)

RAW Data:

0x00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 22 F0 80 29 01 01 01 01
0x10 2F 15 01 03 80 33 1D 78 2A D9 45 A2 55 4D A0 27
0x20 12 50 54 A1 08 00 81 C0 81 80 95 00 B3 00 D1 C0
0x30 01 01 01 01 01 01 02 3A 80 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C
0x40 45 00 FE 1F 11 00 00 5F 00 00 00 FD 00 32 4C 18
0x50 5E 11 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC 00 48
0x60 50 20 32 33 31 31 67 74 0A 20 20 20 00 00 00 FF
0x70 00 33 43 51 31 34 37 4E 51 34 52 0A 20 20 00 47

Labels (1)
10 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello JasonStern,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

Please try connecting only the HP 2311 GT and booting into BIOS/UEFI. Do you see any video displays? and please take note that in this environment there are no GPU drivers loaded, and thus it can help me isolate the issue.

And by the way, have you tried other video outputs? What about other cables or other monitors?

And did this monitor ever work with this GPU? since I would like to understand if any recent changes in the system may have triggered the problem.

We look forward to your response!

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JasonStern
Novice

The timings are out of spec when booting the display. Thus, the EDID provided to try to reproduce.

Running the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter driver works, albeit without the full functionality of the Arc A380.

There is nothing wrong with the display, cables, etc. If I downgrade to an AMD RX560, I do not experience this problem.

The real oddity is that hot swapping the display works. So, there is nothing hardware-side that prevents the Arc A380 from driving the display. But at power up, it is not correctly reading and then driving the EDID timing values. But a disconnect/reconnect resolves this.

If you have a tool to read the timing values, I can provide captures of it out of range and in range. And when I say tool, I mean more than something that reports "60Hz" - I mean the pixel clocks, h-sync, and v-sync timings when it is working versus when it is not working.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello JasonStern, 

Thank you so much for the response; they were all highly noted.

I will raise our case with our engineers, so please generate an SSU report to help us further analyze important details on your system, such as the OS build number, graphics driver version, errors logged in the system, etc. To generate the SSU report, please refer to the article How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows*. Please send us the generated SSU.txt file.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
JasonStern
Novice

Of course.

Attached is the SSU report. But please provide the engineers with the EDID I previously provided, as this appears to be the EDID not being read correctly on start-up, which leads to some default values for the pixel clock timings that the display doesn't support. And again, hot swapping resolves the issue, which indicates that there is a different code path being executed on a hot swap which works versus the monitor detection on cold start.

Thank you,

Jason

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello JasonStern, 

Thank you so much for providing us with your SSU and sharing your thoughts on how we can isolate the issue. Rest assured that I will provide the EDID that you have shared with our engineers, and by the way, all the additional information that you have mentioned was highly noted.

We will now do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once it is available.

Have a fantastic day, and thank you very much for your patience and understanding!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
strangerX1
New Contributor I

Any resolution here? I have almost the same defect after updating to the same verison of driver or even to newer - 31.0.101.5379

Win+Ctrl+Shift+B helps to restart graphic driver and can use it till restart. So just rolled-back for now to 31.0.101.5252 - it works without that issue

JasonStern
Novice

@ACarmona_Intel  - The display works fine in basic BIOS mode or using Microsoft's default standard VGA adapter driver. But doing that obviously disables any DirectX, OpenGL, and video encode/decode performance, which was the main point of buying a discrete GPU. The HP display is a bit older and only has HDMI or DVI (which the Arc cards do not support), and I don't feel like dropping $20 on a converter that might not resolve what is clearly a driver issue. I don't have the equipment to diagnose exactly what is going wrong, but with the latest driver, the timings being used on a cold boot are incorrect. Maybe it is failing to read the EDID? Maybe there is a bug in setting the horizontal or vertical refresh rates? Either way, it's a driver issue.

0 Kudos
JasonStern
Novice

@strangerX1- Thanks for reminding me about the "force Windows to reset the driver" hotkey. I've only used it when things get really bad. Specifically on my former AMD RX560, which currently has its own rare issue with video decompression in certain cases when using remote desktop.

I'll try it again next time I reboot. Hope it works, as at least I wouldn't have to physically unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable. But starting Windows, then force resetting the video driver once the O/S completes its boot up process doesn't seem like a long-term solution.

The HP 2311gt does passive stereoscopic 3D, which never really took off. Thus, it isn't something financially replaceable short of VR headsets, which then breaks a multi-monitor configuration.

strangerX1
New Contributor I

Totally with you - I want a proper fix - I wasted quite a lot of my time on trying to puzzle out the issue with not much luck.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello JasonStern,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting on our response.

Upon reviewing your situation, it appears that the HP 2311GT display may have a compatibility concern. As this seems to be an isolated case, it might not be prioritized by our driver development team in the immediate future. To bypass this, you might consider using a DisplayPort connection, which could help avoid the LPCON chip—a third-party component used by the A380 vendor for DP-to-HDMI conversion. Additionally, reaching out to AsRock could provide further insights, as this could be the cause of the issue.

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

0 Kudos