Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20839 Discussions

HP Spectre with Intel Arc A370M - freezes screen on internal display after updating 31.0.101.5379

strangerX1
New Contributor I

Hi

As soon as I install drivers of any of the below versions on my HP Spectre x360 16-f2000na Laptop screen freezes.

Win+Ctr+Shift+B which restarts display driver helps for couple of seconds to even sometimes for longer, sometimes till I reboot.

If I reboot - screen goes black as soon as windows loads.

However as soon as I connect extenral monitor - picture works ok on external monitor (with picture still showing frozen on internal display).

After rolling back to 31.0.101.5252 or lower - all works ok again.

I have Windows 11 Pro installed 23H2.

I tried to uninstall all drivers with DDU but it didn't help

Driver versions affected:

and even with 31.0.101.5379

Link to video to reproduce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCeAy9V9HM

1 Solution
strangerX1
New Contributor I

Issue seems to be completely resolved with driver of version 31.0.101.5590.

I did both ways - either update existing version to it or remove old completely with DDU in Safe mode.

So far so good

It was a long journey - took almost 4 months but now I am happy I can use latest drivers on my laptop again.

Thx to Intel support and all participants for your suggestions

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
ARandomHippo
Novice

I didn't submit a ticket but I had a several hour troubleshooting session with a representative where they basically just said "wait on the OEM" at the end because it should work.

In a similar vain, I just completed a 3 hour conversation with HP Support. The rep said they'd forward a specific question to the product team and that they'd actually get back to me, so I managed to ask:

"Are you aware of compatibility issues relating to newer versions (all versions beyond 31.0.101.5252) of Intel Iris Xe and Arc Graphics on this device, and is releasing an HP version of the Intel Iris Xe and Arc Graphics drivers newer than either the 31.0.101.4146 Rev.A released on 3/18/23 or 31.0.101.3688 Rev.A released on 01/18/23 something on the agenda for the HP Team?"

I also directed them to this post and @strangerX1's post on the HP Forum. I'll fill y'all in when I hear back from them.

guho
Beginner

I have this issue too on my 16" Spectre X360 and tried many driver versions. Only system restore can rescue me from the hanging new drivers. I opened an Intel support request pointing to this thread. Hopefully it will finally get fixed. I hope all posters to this thread open support requests, so Intel realizes how big of a problem this bug is.

strangerX1
New Contributor I

Some updates here.

Issue is still reproducible with latest 101.5522.

That's how it is reproduced: on external screen it works ok, internal is frozen: https://youtu.be/E3aSv8BnGYE

However what I found that if you disable "Intel Iris Xe Graphics" device in your device manager and restart - issue is not there (yes, system only uses discrete A370M adaptor).

instead of that I rolled back just Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver to 31.0.101.5194 and rebooted. And the issue is gone. So the root cause is somewhere in "Intel Iris Xe Graphics" driver that can't interact properly together with Intel ARC videocard.

See attached screenshot to illustrate

strangerX1
New Contributor I

Good news, everyone! Got information from Intel Support Team that they now were able to localize the issue and next driver version will have the fix. For now the workaround is as below.

If you haven't installed new driver - just do as below. If you already upgraded - connect to external display and do the same steps as external display still works ok.

Open Intel Graphic Command Center

1. Navigate to "System" section

2. Switch to "Power" tab

3-4. Change "Panel Self Refresh" to off ( in "On Battery" subtab)

5. Change "Panel Self Refresh" to off (in "Plugged" in subtab)

And then install latest version - 101.5522

strangerX1_1-1717004847938.png

strangerX1_0-1717004662650.png

0 Kudos
strangerX1
New Contributor I

Issue seems to be completely resolved with driver of version 31.0.101.5590.

I did both ways - either update existing version to it or remove old completely with DDU in Safe mode.

So far so good

It was a long journey - took almost 4 months but now I am happy I can use latest drivers on my laptop again.

Thx to Intel support and all participants for your suggestions

0 Kudos