Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Hardware Acceleration

RCroc3
Beginner

Greetings,

I have Intel HD 5300 graphics. On Advanced Monitor Settings, there is no "Troubleshoot" tab ....... no visible way to adjust hardware acceleration. Does this mean all hardware acceleration has to be done thru the browser itself ?

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hopefully, my explanation will not overwhelm you.

Anti-aliasing is a method or technique used for smoothing jagged edges in computer graphics, therefore improving image quality. In general, the performance can be affected depending on the number of samples (2x, 4x, 8x) and anti-aliasing method selected. There are different techniques to achieve this goal, being Multi-sample Anti-Aliasing and Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing just two of them.

Additional information:

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You can switch the settings in the 3D section of the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel.

RCroc3
Beginner

Except for the "General Settings" choice (performance, balance or quality), the page (including the "help" boxes) might as well be the greek language. The technical jargon is beyond my understanding (beyong what I even want to know) ...... there is no mention of "hardware acceleration" or even the GPU ........ I really do not want to spend lots of time trying to translate the page into useful concepts.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hopefully, my explanation will not overwhelm you.

Anti-aliasing is a method or technique used for smoothing jagged edges in computer graphics, therefore improving image quality. In general, the performance can be affected depending on the number of samples (2x, 4x, 8x) and anti-aliasing method selected. There are different techniques to achieve this goal, being Multi-sample Anti-Aliasing and Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing just two of them.

Additional information:

RCroc3
Beginner

Thank you very much for your consideration. I think my hangup may be that people used to talk in terms of using GPU to take some of the load off of the CPU (to allow multi-tasking while watching a video) or actually getting better images with the GPU than from the CPU. That and in thinking in terms of percentages of GPU use ..... from full to partial (the old monitor software had a slider to adjust GPU use from zero to 100% ....... I guess supposedly meaning that all images were 100% rendered by the GPU). I do not play games ...... so I think this may be a simple "trial and error" adjustment ........ watching a "demanding" or test video while trying the different adjustments on the Graphics control panel.

Thanks for your help. Rick

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I understand it is easier to adjust a single slider; however, the troubleshooting option you are looking for is not available when Intel® HD Graphics is installed. You can try with the Microsoft* inbox driver from Windows* Updates but you will need to uninstall the driver provided by Intel.