Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

How can I create a custom resolution on a laptop ?

idata
Employee

Hello 🙂

I'm new and I'm French (sorry if my English is not good, I will do my best). I would like to know how I can create a custom resolution.

My config :

CPU : Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40Ghz

GPU : NVidia GeForce GT 740M (+ Intel HD 4600 chipset with Optimus)

RAM : 4 Go

My PC is a Toshiba Satellite L50-A-1DG.

There aren't any options in the NVidia Control Panel for that. So I suppose that it should be in the Intel HD Control HD because the desktop is managed by the Intel chipset apparently.

But no options too. It's like on this picture (left NVidia ; right Intel HD) :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/46/1447456166-config-nvidia-intel-hd.png

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/46/1447456166-config-nvidia-intel-hd.png

I explain why I want to create a custom resolution. It's for some old games with 4:3 aspect ratio. With my native resolution (when I plug with my TV) I have a stretched image in 1920x1080 for these games, and I want to have a no streched image, so in 4:3 and a resolution of 1440x1080 (or 1920x1080 with black bars on the sides).

I tried on my other PC with an AMD card, and it was extremely easy to create.

I think with NVidia it shouldn't be very harder, but I'm on a laptop with this bad Optimus technologie and as I said, apparently the resolution is managed by the Intel HD chipset and not the NVidia graphic card... 😕 And so I don't know if i must search in NVidia Control Panel or Intel HD Control Panel or if I can do what I want.

So, if someone could help me please, it would be cool ! Thanks 😉

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

SuperLumberjack, let me review your case, I will be back with more information.

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

According to the engineering department this issue is related to scaling; all the issues related to scaling are under investigation, I do not have an estimate for this and any update will be available as they are released on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks.

But scaling the image and creating custom resolutions, it's not the same thing.

Why are you talking about scaling ? Since the beginning I talk about a possibility to create a custom resolution or to have a 4/3 aspect ratio version of the native resolution (exemple : 1440x1080 for a native resolution of 1920x1080). I think that I can't be most clear. I explained all of this with a lot of exaggerated details.

Can you understand that scaling a resolution to the native resolution it's not the same that create a custom resolution ?

Exemple with scaling :

My native resolution is 1920x1080 (16/9), but I want a 4/3 resolution. The highest that I can have is 1400x1050 and the resolution is upscaled to a resolution of 1440x1080 with black bars on the side (so 1920x1080 finally).

-> The 4/3 resolution is displayed in a 16/9 native resolution. The only problem is that at the origin, it's not a native 4/3 resolution. The problem to have a 4/3 resolution which keeps the native vertical resolution (1080p in this case) with this method is that it's not a native resolution at the beginning. Complicated ? Yes ?

Exemple with custom resolution :

My native resolution is 1920x1080 (16/9), but I want a 4/3 native resolution. I create a resolution of 1440x1080 and if the creation of custom resolutions is logical, it will add black bars on the side to display this resolution in 1920x1080, not create a real resolution of 1440x1080 which is not a standard and can not be displayed by the majority of screens (logical ? yes/no ?).

-> The 4/3 resolution is displayed in a 16/9 native resolution. There is no problem ! It's 1080p, my native resolution, but in a 4/3 aspect ratio ! Not scaled ! More details ?

You say that it's an issue related to scaling ! I say no ! Creating a custom resolution is not related to the scaling of a resolution. It's not the same ! I'm not mad. I know what I say But it's the same thing when I say "The 4/3 resolution is displayed in a 16/9 native resolution". It should be the same to display a scaled resolution and display a created custom resolution. But it seems here that for you it's not the same. Because you can do this with scaling, but not for creating custom resolutions...

Creating custom resolutions is really hard or "Intel doesn't have this information ! We never heard things about creating custom resolutions, only scaling !"

Are you logical at Intel ???

Must I explain it in another languages ? I'm better in French "sacrebleu !" (this word is no longuer really used in those days), because I'm French, and sorry for my bad English but really...

And I explained this with a lot of details again, because it seems that it's hard to understand for you... Seriously, why are you talking about scaling issue ? Did you see what I wrote ? I could write a book with all of this !

Thanks !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Happy new year Intel !

Can I hope that I get a real answer in 2016 ?

2016 : The year of the custom resolutions. Future !

Maybe...

Thanks !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I will ask the question differently, but it's always and always the same question...

When we are on the native resolution, what did you provide to play in 4/3 aspect ratio without stretching ?

We are in 2016 ! It's been a long time that we have widescreens. nVidia provided it and AMD provided it. You didn't. The problem is that you limit the functionalities of the graphic card with your Intel HD chipset.

So, in 2016 did you provide something ? Please answer me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hey SuperLumberjack. How's it going? Let's take a stab at this shall we?

I have a 19x10 panel. I am able to add 1440x1080 custom resolution.

In CUI Display page – it shows 1440x1080 with all the 5 scaling options.

If I apply:

1. 1440x1080 with Maintain Display Scaling: The panel runs at 1440x1080 timing => No black borders.
  2. 1440x1080 with Maintain Aspect Ratio: The panel runs at 19x10 timing with black borders on sides => No stretched content. (Isn't this what you're looking for?)
  3. 1440x1080 with Scale Full Screen: The panel runs at 19x10 timing with stretched content => No black borders.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello

Thanks for your answer Bryce Sorry for my delay. I didn't get the notification for this message

OK. I have read this. It seams that the result "B" is what I search. But I didn't understand everything.

"19x10"... is it the version of the panel ?

With the "B", what resolution is displayed ? 1920x1080 (but OK, 1440x1080 with black borders on sides) or real 1440x1080 and it's the screen which is adding black borders ?

Thanks for your answer.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

19x10 is short for 1920x1080

Yeah it's going to run at 19x10 timing but only 14x10 of the screen dimension is going to be seen because it's maintaining the aspect ratio requested of 14x10. Understand?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ah OK ! 19x10 was a shortcut for 1920x1080 Yes, I understand now

So it's perfect, yes ! Is it in the new driver ?

0 Kudos