Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

How do I get the Intel Graphics Control Panel to work on the latest Intel driver update?

JoshGbsn
Beginner

Windows 10 version: 1803

System: Intel Celeron J4105 CPU @ 1.50 GHz 1.50 GHz

4.00 GB RAM, 64-bit OS

Intel UHD Graphics 600

I recently updated my Windows version and drivers. I installed the driver from the Intel website (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28888/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=126787) and followed the installation guide online (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers-windows-10). I read on the guide that the Intel Graphics Control Panel will be removed and that I have to install it from the Microsoft Store. I was fine with that and carried on with the installation. The installation was successful and restarted my PC. I downloaded the Intel Graphics Control Panel from the MS Store but when I launched it, it said "An Incompatible Legacy Version of this application is installed on this system. Visit Intel graphics control panel page in the Windows store to know the minimum requirements for launching the application". So I researched further and found a thread on the forum (https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004BNlNeSAL/why-is-the-intel-graphics-control-pannel-not-showing-up-anywhere-on-my-os-please-help?language=en_US) but, unfortunately, it was never solved because the guy who started the thread stopped replying. Anyways, I followed the steps perfectly and was able to get to step 8 but it still said the same message. I researched further and Windows might be rolling back the driver automatically, so I disabled it but didn't work either. I then discovered Intel Graphics Command Center but it doesn't have most of the features I needed in the Intel Control Panel like Custom Aspect Ratio and Custom Resolution ( Command Center does have Custom resolution option but it isn't accepting the values I put in, unlike Control Panel). So here I am now, writing a new thread to find out if there is something else I can do to revive the Intel Graphics Control Panel. Please help. Everything was going so well before this update. 😢

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello JoshGbsn,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. 

In this case, it is important to note that the graphics driver update should've been done using the graphics drivers provided by your system manufacturer. Something we can try to do is the following: 

1 - Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

2 - Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features

3 - Restart the computer.

4 - Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.

5 - If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

5.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

5.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

5.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'.

5.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter')

6 - Connect the internet again and right-click on the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", select the option "update driver".

7 - Let the update finish and then restart your computer. When back on, check to see if the Intel ® Graphics Control Panel is accessible.

Let me know the outcome, if this does not work then please provide me with a dxdiag report. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
JoshGbsn
Beginner

Hi David, thank you very much for replying. I did all of the steps you provided but still nothing. I've attached the DxDiag file. You might be right about getting the drivers from the system manufacturer because I checked updates using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant. It found an update, I downloaded it and an error message popped up saying "Error Message: Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver Detected". If that is the case, any tips on how/where I can get the drivers?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello JoshGbsn,

Thank you for your response.

In order to get the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer it would be recommended to contact them directly, this way they can give you instructions on how to install the latest drivers cleanly.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos