Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

How to achieve 2560 x 1440 resolution on my external monitor....

PPart3
Beginner

I have just installed the latest Intel Driver (10.18.10.5059) on my laptop.

I have an external Monitor (2560 x 1440 res.) which currently only offers me: 1920 x 1080.

This max. res. seems to be a "default" setting on my Laptop...

The laptop is capable of showing a higher resolution, but when i go into the Intel CONTROL PANEL there is no option for personalizing th res. to what I require.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem please?

Could it be the connecting cable?

Or the inbuilt processor on the Motherboard?

I look forward to a positive reply please.....Phil

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The output of your processor is in DisplayPort (DP) form. Typically, laptops offer a HDMI connector for external monitor connection. The laptop converts the signal from DP form to HDMI form using a LSPcon chip. Whether this chip, with its current firmware, will support the 2560x1440 resolution is the question. You will need to contact your laptop manufacturer's support folks to find out. In some cases, this can be resolved with a firmware update for this chip.

Hope this helps,

..S

0 Kudos
PPart3
Beginner

Thank you for your reply...

...I will attempt to contact Samsung, (now HP I think?) to ask the question.

May I pose the question: I currently use an HDMI to HDMI connecting cable...which "defaults" to my Intel chip.

I have tried a D Sub connection (with the side screws you tighten) at both ends, hoping it would then offer me the Nvidia drop down menu/navigation tree but it seems the Nvidia chip/link is a ghost connection!

I have disabled the Nvidia option, and downloaded the latest Intel Graphics Driver, hoping that it would offer me a "Create Resolution" option when I lick on the DISPLAY option....alas NO!

You had mentioned about the connecting cables....would it be worth me buying a DISPLAY PORT/HDMI cable?

(The DISPLAY PORT connecting to my Monitor, with the HDMI connecting to my Laptop?)

It seems I only have USB/HDMI/D Sub plug in options on my laptop...

I look forward to your reply........thanks, Phil

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I will give you my standard response to this question...

Graphics Drivers for Laptops should *always* be downloaded from the Laptop manufacturer's website. Laptop manufacturers regularly modify the graphics driver to support laptop graphics features like brightness control, back lighting control, engine switching, etc. The generic drivers downloaded from the graphics vendor's (Intel, NVIDIA, AMD, etc.) sites will not have these modifications and thus operation of the laptop's graphics features could be compromised if they are installed. This is especially important in hybrid graphics designs, where switching between the Intel HD Graphics subsystem and a NVIDIA or AMD HD Graphics subsystem is necessary. When two graphics subsystems are present, they will have resource conflicts if both are enabled at the same time.

...S

0 Kudos
PPart3
Beginner

HERE IS THE REPLY I GOT FROM SAMSUNG!

I understand how important it is for you to manage the output resolution hardware, but upon checking the details I see that the

maximum supported resolution for an external monitor is 1080p when connected via HDMI and we cannot alter the components

of display resolution as they come under the non-upgradeable on-board components. 

However, you can get a resolution up to 2048 x 1536 when the monitor is connected via VGA. 

Hope you understand the device specifications and limitations. 

AS YOU SO RIGHTLY SUGGESTED.....PRETTY USELESS!

0 Kudos
PPart3
Beginner

Is it worth me buying a DisplayPort version 1.2 (offers a maximum resolution of 3840×2160 at 60 FPS) to plug into my Monitor?

If so...should I have a USB connector into my Laptop? Or a HDMI connector?

PS: I'm guseeing you'll say it comes down to the Samsung Firmware installed on my laptop....?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If your laptop provides HDMI and DVI connectors, then what would be the point of a DisplayPort cable? If you mean to switch back from HDMI to DisplayPort, this isn't worth it.

As for USB, it has nothing to do with this solution. You could add a USB 3.0-based graphics subsystem and connect your monitor that way, but this would be a relatively slow-performing graphics monitor then.

...S

0 Kudos
PPart3
Beginner

Thank you for your reply....I hope you can appreciate my frustrations!

I am begining to console myself with the fact that I will have to try and get an exchange for my Monitior from ViewSonic, and use the available resolution from my laptop of: 1920 x 1080

It's a shame...I was keen to see the resolution in all its glorry at the higher screen value!

Thank you for all your valued advice...

PS: I was "talking" on line with a supposed Samsung representative, but I was warned on screen that it was'nt a secure line....they scheduled a call back which never came!

As a last resort, I will try a 0330 number they offer, and see how I progress...

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Typically, if they offer a LSPcon firmware upgrade, this firmware will be found on their web site's downloads section (i.e. no interaction with their (useless) support personnel should be necessary).

I would consider this issue as being secondary to your issue with the NVIDIA graphics solution not operating properly. Install (even if it would seem to be a downgrade) the latest Intel and NVIDIA drivers that can be downloaded from the HP web site and then see what kinds of external monitors can be supported.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos