Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21070 Discussions

How to update graphics drivers and increase dedicated video memory?

PPhil8
Beginner

I run the update utility. It says that I have old graphic drivers. I have 10.13... and it will install 15.33... I click download and install. After the installation a restart is required. After the restart I go to the adapter options and I see that the driver version is the same 10.13... Nothing has changed. I tried doing this a few more times and still nothing happens. I want to update my drivers in order to increase my dedicated memory because now it says 64MB and it says that I have 1700MB more... A lot of new games are unable to run because of this thing and I am really pissed off. I am extremely disappointed in your graphics products. I even tried downloading drivers for my version (n series) and manually installing them but still nothing happens. I tried downloading different drivers for other models and still nothing happens. The drivers are either uninstallable or they are installed but after the restart is the same old thing. Please give me the solution to my problem. If I cannot update my drivers it is cool, I am fine with that but the dedicated memory issue - that is pissing me off big time. I am looking forward in recieving an adequate answer from you. Be healthy and stay strong!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi philipesco,

I need to know the processor model in order to send you the latest graphics driver. The last 4 digits of the driver version determine it. The first part is for Intel (internal) use.

Now, in regards to the maximum dedicated memory; Intel® graphics works together with the operating system, the amount of memory assigned to graphics is dynamic. The operating system changes its value while the applications require more resources. The processor supports up to 1.7GB for graphics.

On laptops and tablets, the manufacturer determines how much the maximum amount of memory assigned to graphics is. I suggest you to get into the BIOS and review if it is possible to change manually the maximum amount assigned to graphics.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
PPhil8
Beginner

Hello Intel customer support,

-Processor model: N2840 @ 2.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

-Driver version: 10.18.10.4358

-Graphics card model: Intel(R) HD Graphics (there isn't even a model number or something like that, it just says HD Graphics everywhere)

-I checked the BIOS, but unfortunately there is no such option.

Best wishes,

Philipesco
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi philipesco,

I double checked the database and you are already using the latest graphics driver. Intel® Celeron™ processors come with the basic graphics driver model: HD Graphics. It does not have a number.

Mike C
0 Kudos
PPhil8
Beginner

Hello,

Okay you helped me with the driver issue, but you still have not helped me about the dedicated memory issue... How can I increase it. I wanna play games normally, like other human beings. And please do not tell me that there is no difference wether you have 64MB or 512MB of dedicated memory, because I used to have 32MB dedicated memory and I updated my drivers. Now I have 64MB and Heartstone (Blizzard corp.) runs much smoother than before. However: can I increase my dedicated memory, or not? (once again: I check my BIOS and unfortunately I do not have such an option there)

Best of luck

philipesco
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi philipesco,

In regards to dedicated memory for graphics; if you don't have the option in the BIOS to increase it, there is no any other option. Your pc manufacturer set the maximum amount of memory assigned to graphics.

Mike C

0 Kudos