Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20720 Discussions

Integrated Sandy Bridge graphics defective - replace mainboard or CPU?

idata
Employee

After a lot of trying I have come to the conclusion that there must be a hardware defect in my system.

I use a DH67CL board with a 2100T processor, and I cannot get graphics to work.

When I install the graphics driver in Windows 7 and reboot, the PC hangs and after around 10 minutes /message/130210# 130210 I get a bluescreen (monitor connected via DVI, also tried VGA). Have tried about every version of the driver and also different mainboard BIOS revisions, and have also installed Windows 7 around 5 times.

Then I have also tried Windows XP, same here: installed graphics driver, reboot, blue screen (if you want, I can post the minidump).

Finally I have also tried the latest Ubuntu: works with failsafe (=svga) driver, does not boot to desktop with hardware accelerated Intel driver.

I have swapped RAM and PSU and disconnected all other periphials without effect.

So I am quite sure now that there must be a hardware defect.

But which part should I RMA? The mainboard or the CPU?

Thank you for your advice.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

doesn't anybody know?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi . I think 99% - motherboard, 1%- CPU. Anyway , it's easy check

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

I guess it's a defective CPU. I searched for 0x00000116 and in most cases it's graphics related. But you can never be sure on these things.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just wanted to let you know that in my case it was a defective processor (2100T) - somehow the graphics unit had stopped working.

I've replaced the CPU and now everything is working again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Consistent crashes with different driver revisions and software configurations point to a likely hardware fault. Check the motherboard or CPU. Honestly, it could even be your memory. I've heard of cases where a guy had a problem he couldn't figure out even with different sticks but borrowing from elsewhere he still isolated it to memory. Perhaps its bad luck, or you just need to start buying from different manufacturers.

CPU is usually the least defective, but unless you have lot of friends that buy similar stuff, I don't know how you'll test it. Same with the motherboard but it usually has more problems than CPU.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I have the same problem as you. But my CPU is a 2500K and motherboard based on a H61 Chipset. Is this a cpu or Motherboard problem?

thanks for the help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI. Yesterday i meet problem like this. Please try install new memory modules or install only one memory modules( if you have two or more modules check each memory modules). Good luck!

0 Kudos