Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20716 Discussions

Intel 945GM - Extended Desktop no longer working

idata
Employee

I have an HP dv6000 laptop with the intel 945GM graphics adaptor, running windows XP.

Originally I Vista machine, I have had XP running on it well for over a year or so, and the exteneded desktop aspect worked very well.

Last week XP decided to throw a wobbler on me & eventually had to reinstall it. Unfortunately, now the extended desktop doesn't work any more, and I very much need it for the work I do.

I am currently using the 945 drivers from your intel site, and have also tried the XP drivers from HP, and laterly - in some desperation - the Vista drivers for my machine from HP. I've tried uninstalling the drivers, rebooting, and then re-installing, but with no success. The "Dual Display Clone" option works fine from the Intel "Graphics Properties..." dialog, but the extended desktop option does not.

Ideas or suggestions welcome. Is there a utility that more effectively uninstalls graphics card drivers so that I could get back to a "virgin" install of your 945 drivers?

Thanks for any help,

Duncan.

0 Kudos
48 Replies
idata
Employee

Thanks a lot, Spywate Doctor uninstall solved my problem that I had for two weeks, also.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried the regional setting change (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-021334.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-021334.htm) with my IT guys last week and that did not work for me. Although the missing string message did dissapear as soon as we tried to extend the desktop we were back to square one. Missing string message and still no extended desktop.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I also uninstalled Spyware Doctor. It looks like this was the root cause of the problem.

I did re-install by following the steps in the link as I was receving the error stated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Uninstalling Spyware Doctor has done the trick.

1) Unistall Spyware Doctor

2) Restart

3) Use Intels UI to start extended desktop

4) Problem solved

Regards,

Seth

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey, thanks very much for the solution.

I didn't see any problems with changing my resolution. This all seemed to work fine so I probably never would have found this thread.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you, Krosa and everyone else. Indeed, Spyware Doctor 6 was the problem. After 3 days of finding threads of this post that led to uninstalling and reinstalling (even though the original language was US) and many, many reboots, uninstalling Spyware did the trick! Thanks again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello.

I have a pretty similiar problem. My laptop is Lenovo T61, with Intel's 965 video card. When I switch to extended desktop, all of my office-program's GUI's switches to this weird "simple grey" -style graphics. I have Office 2003 and Outlook 2007. This setup worked perfectly before. One day it just didn't. Single display- and desktop clone setups works ok.

I've tried just about everything I can think of, but nothing seems to help.

Do you have any suggestions?

Here's how it looks, this is Outlook 2007:

0 Kudos