Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Intel Graphics 630: External monitor not detected (mini display port)

EStei1
Beginner

Hello,

I have a Gigabyte Aero 15 laptop and one of the features of this laptop is that it can connect to 3 external monitors via a HDMI port, mini display port, and thunderbolt 3. I have 2 identical monitors and they both work fine. I'm running a single HDMI from the laptop to 1 monitor and it's perfect. If I connect to monitor 2 the same way, it also works. So in order to use both monitors at the same time, I'm running a mini display port to HDMI cable to my second monitor but nothing happens. Only 1 monitor is detected by my laptop and its the one connected via the HDMI port. The second monitor connected via the mini display port isn't detected at all by my laptop. I've updated all drivers but no luck. I've gone into the nvidia control panel and set the power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" and that didn't work either.

Intel graphics 630 and GTX 1060 drivers are all up to date. Both monitors are in working condition and both work with the single HDMI output. I just can't get my laptop to detect it with the display port...

If I go into my Nvidia Control Panel, I can see 1 monitor connected via HDMI port. If I go into my Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, then Display, Multiple Displays, it shows "Single Display" and its only the Built-in Display. If I click on "Detect", I get the message "No other display has been detected. If you do not see a display, verify all the connections and check that the display is powered on."

So nothing is being detected via mini display port.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated!

Further details:

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Formant,

I understand you are trying to connect three external displays to your laptop, but one of them is not being recognized.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

If the HDMI monitor appears on the NVIDIA* Control Panel then that specific monitor is connected directly to the NVIDIA* video card. Since that monitor is connected directly to the NVIDIA* video card our Intel® Graphics Control Panel will not see it.

If the mini DP to HDMI monitor is not being recognized by the computer then the issue might be related to the adapter itself. If possible try connecting a mini DP to Displayport* monitor in order to make sure the video port on the laptop is fine. You may also try either another mini DP to HDMI adapter or an USB Type-C to HDMI adapter.

Let me know if issue persists or not.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Formant,

I was wondering if you still need assistance regarding the monitor that is not been recognized. In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
DKa_
Beginner

I have the same notebook here and observed the same problem: my Dell U2515H monitor was at first not detected when connected to the miniDP port on my Aero 15 although I used the cable (DP to miniDP) that was included with the monitor and although I toggled through all input signals using the front panel buttons on the monitor.

The Dell monitor, however, has two DP and one miniDP input. I tried the other DP socket and suddenly it worked.

I figured that the DP port of the Aero is connected to the NVIDIA card. So it's definitely no Intel issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello HerrrmannTheGerman,

Thanks for sharing additional information with us. I hope this information helps other Community peers.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
KSher3
Beginner

Hi,

I am having the same issue as the initail post on a new MSI GV62 7RD. I can't seem to get anything from the DisplayPort.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Intel HD Graphics 630

Geforce GTX 1050

I have downloaded the latest intel and Nvidia driver and installed clean, but nothing from the Mini Display Port.

Also there are very little menu items on the the Nvidia control panel, but MSI technical support said this was fine and the displays are controlled by the INtel Graphics driver. but I can only see one external monitor frm the HDMI port not the Mini DisplayPort. Also tested the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable on another cmputer and it seems fine.

Hope someone can help. It seems like I have a setting wrong somewhere. Don't want tohave to return to MSI if its something simple.

Kind Regards

Kim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kim63,

Thank you for joining the thread.

I am sorry you are having issues connecting a Displayport* monitor to your laptop.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Did you try using a miniDP to Displayport* cable?

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
KSher3
Beginner

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your reply.

Applogies if my post was not clear but I do not have a DP monitor, only monitors with HDMI and VGA inputs, so I am using a Mini DP to HDMI cable.

I did check the new cable with an Apple computer to the displays I am trying to use and it worked fine.

Thanks for your help with this issue.

Kind Regards

Kim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kim63

Thank you for your response, my apologies for the situation you are having

Please bear in mind that Intel® does not recommend the use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work. We can recommend you to update your graphics driver that in some cases will fix the problem, I see that there is a more recent driver version that you can install on your system

Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:

1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.1.1.4901.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27412/a08/win64_15.60.1.1.4901.zip

2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

4. Click "Yes" when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

5. Expand the Display adapters section.

6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

9. Click "Have Disk".

10. Click "Browse".

11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click "Next". Drivers are now being installed.

14. Reboot your computer.

And let me know if you have any issues with the installation and if this helped you.

Regards

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C

0 Kudos
DAaro
Beginner

I eventually solved this issue on my laptop by turning on UEFI BIOS mode from Legacy mode. Instantly the external monitor activated.

This ofcourse breaks Windows ability to start up. There are ways to repair the boot sector. For me my laptop was still new and reinstalliung windows was an easier solution. Now it works properly with any driver version as it should.
0 Kudos