Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator for Windows 7 crashes and recovers

SDeco
Beginner

Hi,

I'm running a laptop

Dell XPS L701X on an Intel Core i5 CPU M560 2.67GHz 4GB RAM 64-bits. It used to be with Windows 7, recently updated to Windows 10 64-bit. The graphics driver version is 8.15.10.2900, DirectX 10.1, Processor Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5 with processor speed 2660 MHz.

Ever since my update to Windows 10, I'm experiencing problems with online gameplay. It freezes then I get the notification that the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator for Windows 7(R) has crashed and has been restored". This happens on and off, until at one point my entire laptop freezes and I have to do a manual restart. I've tried to update the driver, with no luck, and since I'm no computer whiz, I'm quite reluctant to just try things out without some advice.

What should I do ?

Kind regards,

Stephke

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello Stephke,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Could please fill out the information at the following link to better assist you?

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

After you've fill out the information, please post it to this thread.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

I'm just following on this thread to ask you if you need further assistance or if your problem has been resolved?

Thanks,

Ivan

0 Kudos
SDeco
Beginner

Hi,

I've printed the questionnaire and will gather the required information tonight to post. Thank you for following, I'm at a loss to what to do about it. 🙂

Best wishes,

Stephanie

0 Kudos
SDeco
Beginner

Hi,

I hope I gathered the required information as requested. Here goes.

Thank you

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Ever since my update to Windows 10, I'm experiencing problems with online gameplay. It freezes then I get the notification that the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator for Windows 7(R) has crashed and has been restored". This happens on and off, until at one point my entire laptop freezes and I have to do a manual restart. I've tried to update the driver, with no luck, and since I'm no computer whiz, I'm quite reluctant to just try things out without some advice.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

At regular intervals (short intervals)

50%

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell XPS L701X

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No Hybrid

GeForce Graphics card available

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

Generic PnP Monitor

CMO1718

<td style="border-top: none; border-left: none; border-bottom: solid windowtext 1.0pt; border-right:...
0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for all the information you have kindly provided, please be aware that this issue is still under investigation.

At his point I suggest running Windows update and install all the updates available even the optional ones. It is always a good practice to regularly update your system, and keep it up to date.

Update Microsoft* .NET Framework software, some issues (such as the stopped responding/successfully recovered error message) can be fixed with a simple update to the systems .NET Framework* software. This software is available from the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653 Microsoft Web site.

Find and install the latest generic version of the Intel® Graphics Driver.

Intel has the latest generic versions of the graphics driver available. If you install the latest driver from your computer or motherboard manufacturer and still encounter the problem, try the latest generic driver.

To locate and install a newer generic graphics driver if applicable, visit the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html Intel® Driver Update Utility.

If the Intel® Driver Update Utility displays a message that it has detected a customized computer manufacturer graphics driver, see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005469.html Customized computer manufacturer graphics driver is detected.

More troubleshooting:

If the issue continues after updating the graphics driver, use the following questions to help isolate the issue:

1. Does the issue occur frequently or is it a random issue?
  2. If the issue always occurs when the system is performing a certain operation (such as running a particular application or game), check with the software.

1. When was the last time the system worked without errors? What changes were made since this time, such as driver updates, adding hardware, or installing software?
  2. Try removing the changes (uninstall recently added hardware or software or roll back drivers to the previous version) to resolve issues.

1. Do you have the latest system BIOS for your computer?
  2. Check with the computer manufacturer, motherboard manufacturer, or computer vendor for availability of a system BIOS update. Newer graphics drivers sometimes rely on current system BIOS updates.

1. Does the issue happen when your monitor is set to a particular setting?
  2. Return the video resolution settings back to a standard refresh rate and color depth to resolve the issue.

I hope this information can help you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos