Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20686 Discussions

Intel Graphics refresh rate drop and are inconsistent after sleep or hibernate

LEB
Novice

Systems with Intel HD graphics have inconsistent monitor refresh rates, lower refresh rates and poorer graphics performance after resuming from a 'sleep' or 'hibernate'.

To reproduce for systems with Intel HD graphics:

1. Make sure the monitor is set to its highest refresh rate (e.g. on Dell U2711 monitor, choose 60 Hz rather than 59 Hz; or on a Dell Latitude E6320 laptop, choose a refresh rate of 60 Hz, not 40 Hz).
  2. With a user logged in, either close laptop lid, or put the system into 'Sleep' or 'Hibernate'
  3. Wake the system up again and log in
  4. Check the Monitor refresh rate under the Intel "Graphics Properties" - the refresh rate has dropped from the higher setting to the lower setting and is now either 59 Hz or 40 Hz in the examples above.
  5. Check the Monitor refresh rate under Windows Control panel -> Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Monitor -> Screen Refresh rate. Here the original higher refresh rates are still being reported. I.e. the refresh rates being reported by Windows vs. that reported by the Intel driver GUI are inconsistent after resume. See attached screen-shot.
  6. Use windows desktop - the system is now slightly but noticeably more sluggish/lower graphics performance after resume.
  7. In addition, after the screen goes in standby, the screen 'forgets' brightness and contrast settings set in the Intel Graphics Properties after waking up again (screen returns to brightness/contrast settings it had prior to setting them in the Intel Graphics Properties).

This issue occurs both for the built-in laptop monitor as well as an externally attached secondary monitor (connected over DisplayPort).

The issue also occurs on the monitor attached to a Desktop PC running Intel HD graphics.

Monitors on which the issue has been reproduced:

• Dell Latitude E6320 built in laptop screen
  • Dell U2408WFP monitor (Display Port)
  • Dell U2711 (Display Port)

This issue occurs both for 2nd and 3rd generation Core i7 HD graphics, from a Dell laptop, as well as from PC with Intel Motherboard (Z77).

All systems running Win 7 Pro, sp1, x64 with all updates, latest drivers and BIOS.

Thanks

EBL

41 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

In this case my best recommendation is to turn off the firewall or make an exception on the antivirus so you can download and install the driver. Another way is to download the file from other computer and then just run the .exe file.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
LEB
Novice

Hi

I have installed the latest driver as per the link - the original issue of changed and inconsistent refresh rates, with choppy/poor graphics performance after a system sleep or hibernate, as well as after screen simply going into power-save mode, still persists.

Regards

EBL

0 Kudos
Gaaa
Beginner

Kevin,

Power, Battery, the change display refresh rate gets stuck at the lower value after the laptop is connected to power again/resumes from sleep. For the time being we're forced to turn it off but I hope you can make a quick and easy fix in the next release for this problem.

You're welcome.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I understand and completely understand your concern and frustration. Our development team is aware of this issue and is working towards a solution.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
AV20
Beginner

Hi,

I also had the refresh rate issue on my Sony Vaio SVS13A laptop, but it seems to be fixed with the recent drivers for me.

BUT I have a similar issue after suspend: My laptop has a built-in brightness sensor that can control screen brightness. After resume from sleep, the automatic brightness control does not work properly, because the driver does not involve my brightness setting anymore. This means: Instead of regulating screen brightness around the value set by me, it drops back to some fixed value every time I set it to another value. This is really annoying since I have to restart to fix this. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro on Core i5 3210M with Intel driver 10.18.10.3621. I didn't have this issue on driver version 9.17.10.2817.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the information.

This issue has been escalated to the appropriate product support engineer for further investigation. Due to the nature of this escalation, we do not expect an immediate resolution. We apologize for this inconvenience and encourage the community to keep sharing any findings and comments that may lead to a workaround.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

We would appreciate the feedback you can provide on this? Did installing this driver fix the issue?

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JAnto5
Beginner

I can confirm this!!!

I bought a PC in September 2012, and since then, the mouse was many times very "imprecise" and I didn´t know the reason. At first the mouse had LAG some times (the mouse freezes by an instant and was "imprecise"), and when I was using a PCI sound blaster Audigy 2 card, the PC crashes. Finally the motherboard was defective, they replaced it by other one.

After that, the PC did not crashed anymore. But It continues with LAGS (the mouse freezes by a instant and is "imprecise"). I found that my keyboard has a problem and was introduced that LAG (this keyboard "Samsung Pleomax" had a HUB with 2 USB inside it). I used an older one and the freezes dissapears, but the "imprecise" mouse movement was there yet.

One day I entered to the Intel HD control panel and discover that the Refresh rate is set to 59p!!!, and in the Windows panel is showing 60p. I changed the Refresh rate in Intel control panel and instantly the "imprecision" of the mouse was gone and they behave VERY PRECISE, and you can put very fast the mouse whenever you want in a litle point of the FULL HD screen.

I didn´t saw any sense to it. I thought that it was a coincidence, and the problem is with my mouse. I bought a new (and better) one, and the problems continues. When he wants, the pc mouse movement gets VERY IMPRECISE, and I didn´t know the real reason. I was thinking that my PC had a problem. Other times seems that the optical mouse sensor have dust in it, I clean it and the perfect precission comes again, but other times I clean the optical sensor and nothing improvement. Other times when I set to 60p again it make the mouse precise, but other times don´t work (must be dust in the mouse?).

I am getting crazy with this....

My System Specifications:

Intel core i7 2700K

GSkill Ares 8GB DDR3 1600

ASRock Z77 Pro 3

Crucial M4 128GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB SATA3 64MB

Be Quiet Pure Power L8 CM 630 Modular

DVD LG GH24NS90

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (old PCI format)

Mouse Gigabyte m6900 (v.2)

Keyboard Genius KB-16M Wireless (a very old keyboard with PS2 connector)

TV Full HD Samsung

Canon pixma MP 220

Conceptronic lounge´n´ look series web cam

Windows 7 Professional 64 bits SP1

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

May I know what driver do you have installed? Can you provide the system report information?

How to get it?

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

0 Kudos
JAnto5
Beginner

Yes, here is attached.

Hope you find the problem.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Checking the report I see your motherboard is running with an old BIOS version so you should consider updating it to latest from the Computer Manufacture.

Please try uninstalling the driver completely from device manager and select the option to remove the software as well and download the latest version at this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23764&lang=eng&ProdId=3319 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23764&lang=eng&ProdId=3319

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JAnto5
Beginner

I select the option to "remove the software", and when the PC restarts, Windows automatically installs other driver. I went to device manager again, and it was showing an older driver version (a 2013 year, instead of the 2014 year driver that was installed before). I had to do this uninstalling process for 3 times, until when I restarts the PC, windows installed now a "standard vga driver", instead of an older Intel HD graphics driver. Now it don´t show the option "remove the software". So, it install automatically the standard VGA driver each time I want to remove it. Also it shows now 3 pop ups windows saying:

"Want to execute C:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe?"

"Want to execute C:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe?"

"Want to execute C:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe?"

I selected "Cancel" to all the 3 pop ups.

I will install now the Drivers that you provided before. I don´t know if I must to do something else with this "standard VGA driver" and the "3 pop up windows". If so, tell me what I need to do.

And with regards to the BIOS version, I have the 1.90 version installed, that have the "improve monitor compatibility" improvement: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro3/index.es.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS ASRock > Z77 Pro3

The next version is the 2.10, that have only a "Change Internet Flash server" improvement. That is to can make BIOS updates inside the BIOS using Internet conection. Seems that there is no more benefits on this update.

0 Kudos
JAnto5
Beginner

I installed the new driver after it, and continues equal.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello 3dart.es,

When you are using the mouse and you get this imprecision issue, are you using a mouse pad?

Kevin m

0 Kudos
JAnto5
Beginner

Yes, but it is a quality "Steelseries" mouse pad http://www.pccomponentes.com/steelseries_steelpad_qck_mini.html http://www.pccomponentes.com/steelseries_steelpad_qck_mini.html

This mouse don´t work on this wood table, I had to buy one.

I clean frequently the dust on it and some times in the optical hole. When the refresh rate changes to 59p is when I notice this imprecision. If I change it to 60p and press "Apply" the imprecision go away and it gets instantly very precise. So, it is a problem with the refresh rate. If you can solve the 59p change, i think that I will take off this mouse bug too.

My mouse is a wired mouse, "Gigabyte m6900 (v.2)", it is not a "cheap" and bad mouse...

I had set it to 1600 DPI (it is configurable), and the Screen resolution is set to 1920x1080 (FullHD, 60hz).

The Windows mouse configuration is in the image attached. Also notice that I have set the Windows font size to 125%, because the 100% size is too small for me (icons and fonts very ridicule).

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello 3dart.es,

We have not received reports from customer with similar issues than the one you are having with the mouse.

Can you try another mouse? Perhaps a cheaper mouse?

Kevin

0 Kudos
JAnto5
Beginner

I tested my old wired mouse Creative, and happen the same. Maybe a litle less noticeable (due to less DPI) tan my new mouse. But it happen the same.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello 3dart.es,

As mentioned before, I have not seen this imprecision issue on other threads and I have not been able to replicate it from my side.

At this point, since you have done several troubleshooting steps and tested different hardware I think you should contact your Computer Manufacture and have the product replaced.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JAnto5
Beginner

Thanks for your support. My PC is not a brand PC, I bought all the components and I built it myself. And also the warranty had expired the last September.

But I have a "WACOM Pen & Touch Special Edition" tablet (CTH-661/L) that I had unplugged a lot of time. I plugged in yesterday to use it, and when I use the pen, a windows was shown (the Tablet PC input panel):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/using-the-writing-pad-and-touch-keyboard-in-tablet-pc-input-panel Using the writing pad and touch keyboard in Tablet PC Input Panel

I disabled it in their options, and now the mouse seems to work smoothly (even when I put the pc to Sleep and wakes up again, showing 59p). I don´t want to say too loud, but seems that this panel was doing something strange with the input mouse and now seems fixed. Also when I was changing all this time before the 59p to 60p, the mouse went precise instantly many times. So, it is doing something strange with the vga driver.

Thanks, and if the problem comes again I will tell here to know that this wasn´t fixed yet.

0 Kudos
JAnto5
Beginner

It had reproduced again randomly, but less noticeable. Now I just found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BYCcX0CuM&list=WL&index=261 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BYCcX0CuM&list=WL&index=261

And after I did it, seems that now run fine.

I noticed later that he has another new video much more simple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwh30GgnbQs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwh30GgnbQs

If it don´t solve the problem, then try the first video.

Regards.

0 Kudos