Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20707 Discussions

Intel HD 4000 Graphics (i7-3770K) occasional flicker

idata
Employee

I have an i7-3770K on an Asus P8Z77-V PRO and am using the on-board Intel HD 4000 Graphics to drive two displays.

My displays are a Dell 3008WFP at 2560x1600 on DisplayPort, and a Dell 2407WFPHC at 1200x1920 (rotated 90 degrees to portrait) on DVI.

Running the latest drivers (8.15.10.2761) on Windows 7 Ultimate N x64.

32GB memory, water cooling, Intel 240GB SATA3 SSD and a 750W Corsair PSU round out the box.

When working (writing code, web surfing, watching video) on the machine, the video will quickly cut out on one monitor or the other and then come back. The 24" Dell on DVI handles this [in a small fraction of a second] like a champ and I hardly notice. The Dell 30" looses the signal, goes blank and then takes a couple seconds to reacquire the signal before showing the desktop again... it's REALLY annoying!!

Anyone seen something like this before, or have ideas?

I've changed the DisplayPort & DVI cables, tried a different motherboard of the same model, tried a motherboard from a different manufacturer (Gigabyte), hooked it up to a Dell 3011WFP (which re-acquires the signal much faster than the 3008WFP btw), reset monitors to factory defaults, and installed the latest drivers. To no avail.

Help?!?

1 Solution
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

This issue is a BIOS issue specifically with the Memory Reference Code (MRC) version 1.4.0.0 or older. Please contact your system or motherboard manufacturer for a system BIOS update for your system or motherboard that includes MRC 1.5.0.0 or newer.

If you have a system with 2 or more memory modules and are comfortable with removing all but one of them so that your memory is in single channel mode, try and remove all but one of them and the issue will go away. This can be used as a workaround until you are able to update your system BIOS from your system or motherboard manufacturer that includes MRC 1.5.0.0 or newer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
129 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi mmunir

What BIOS rev is on your board?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the exact same issue. Every so often my displayport monitors (not at the same time) will go black for 1 second and then come back. It happens very randomly, though it always seems to happen at the same time as a key press, mouse movement, or mouse click, though that could be a red haring.

Here are my system specs:

Dell Optiplex 9010 w/ i7-3770 (bios ver. A05)

16gb ram (corsair cmx16gx3m2a1333c9)

2x Dell U2412M's on display port native

1x Dell P2411H on vga

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

FINAL UPDATE

I had BIOS rev 0404 which was the latest one up until a few days ago! I recently updated to the latest release rev 0812 (released on August 9, 2012) and the flickering vanished completely.

Problem Solved! 

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Outstanding, thanks for the update.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Asus recently published a new BIOS update, which I installed last night. There hasn't been any flickering since, but I have not had the time to watch it and be sure. My fingers are crossed though and I'll post another update later tonight.

Additionally: I let a memory test run for about 8 hours and it found nothing bad. So that wasn't my issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am also having a problem with an intermittent flicker on an external monitor driven at 1920x1080. The system is a Samsung Series 9 XP900X3C (i5-3317U) with Intel HD 4000 graphics running driver version 8.15.10.2761. Flickering occurs more often with activity on the second screen - video playing or switching between tabs, for instance. DPC latency checker software tool reveals frequent spikes to 2000us (range likely to drop video) and max values in the 6k range. Running off battery does not seem to make a difference.

On experiencing this problem I replaced the cable and monitor, but this did not correct the issue. I then replaced the computer with another of the same model - same problem right out of the box. Samsung's support solution was to match the second monitor to match the laptop's native 1600x900 - this seemed to correct the issue, but is a completely unacceptable fix. Is there any time frame to get the HD 4000 flicker issue resolved? My return window is quickly closing, so the laptop may have to go back before the problem can be addressed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
  • i7 3770, latest Intel graphics driver.
  • Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit, fully updated.
  • Shuttle SZ77R5, latest BIOS.
  • Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit, fully updated.
  • Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
  • Acer AL2416W

Shuttle is also trying to replicate, but with a 3770K, so no luck.

Overvolting the 4000 GPU +50mv makes things worse, and the pauses longer and more frequent. Shuttle BIOS do not allow undervolting, so that's not an option.

It happens when idle and blinks. When it happens while running a game, it kills the display until I remote desktop in to reset it. As soon as I do the login screen comes back on the screen. I also remember noticing it running at 1920x1200 x 59hz at one point. 59hz being an odd thing to do since no display does that.

Really hope this is fixable with a driver, as I've already migrated everything to the new machine, so I'd greatly prefer a new driver to having to RMA/return.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I borrowed an AOC 2436 - 1920x1080x60, so less vertical than the Acer AL2416W - 1920x1200x60. No blanking at all.

Trying more things with the Acer AL2416W, it seems to want to go into 59hz mode, but still has the problem, though it seems like less often, hard to say. Diablo 3 is reliably able to cause the display to turn off in a few seconds. Remote desktop in, which turns it back on and gives the login screen. Also if I run it in lower resolutions it still has the blanking, so it doesn't seem to depend on the resolution specifically.

So it seems to be related to the display. Given that a number of the people posting here are using high end displays, I wouldn't just chalk it up to a cheap display problem. So it appears I have a monitor I can't really use with the new system, and there are a list of others that potentially won't work any better.

On the plus side, detecting the issue and forcing the hardware to behave is hopefully something you can fix from the driver.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am also having a similar issues, but with the audio. Every so often my sound will stutter and sort of pause for a second. I downloaded DPC Latency checker to see what my latency is and turns out its rather high, peaking at 226763. I began to disable and enable drivers to see if it made a difference. I narrowed it down to being mostly the Intel 4000 Graphics driver's fault. When i disable it and use windows basic VGA, my latency goes down to green and only jumps to red once in a while and only for maybe a bar or two then back to greens(if you have DPC Latency Checker you'll understand).

I'm currently in the process of downloading the latest driver for the Card and seeing if that make's a difference(doubtful). This is very frustrating as I just bought my laptop(HP Pavilion m7)on Monday and transferred all my data onto it from my old rig. I really hope Intel has an answer to this in some sort of driver update or what not.

[Edit]: After using the Intel Driver Update Utility Tool AND the HP Automatic Update Finder. I installed the only driver update they both found which was the one for Intel 4000 Graphics driver and it hasn't made a difference in my latency. Sadly the issue with the sound continues. Again, this is so very annoying. Any help is and would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi I just bought a new computer and I am experiencing flickering on my second external display.

I have one HP display(1920*1200) connected to the dvi output and one Samsung display(1920*1080) connected to the

display port. I am using the HP as my primary and I am extending the desktop on the samsung display.

It seem like the image on the samsung screen get translated to the right, so the right most part of

the screen get located on the left side on the screen.This happens after approximtly 10 min can

be more or less. When that happens the screen start to flicker. To remove the flicker I have to

change the settings on the screen. I can change portrait/lanscape and that will remove the flicker

for some time. If I let the screen flicker for "too long" the screen gets black and it does not

state that there is no signal, im not sure how to recover from that mode, except for restarting

the computer. I looked trough this thread and I could not find any one else that got the

screen image translation.

When I use only the samsung display, disable the rest, I do not get any translation and flickering.

When I am using the HP and internal display, I do not get translation and flickering.

When I am using the samsung display and the internal i get flickering on the samsung display.

So it seems like I cannot use the samsung screen connected with the display port with an addition display, I have

tested both the external HP display and the interal display as second display.

Here is my hardware using windows 7 home premium edition.

XMG P502 PRO Gaming Notebook 39.6 cm (15.6 ") - Premium offer

. 39.6 cm (15.6 ") Full HD (1920 * 1080) Non-Glare

. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M 4096MB GDDR5 | TDP: 100W

. Intel Core i7-3720QM - 2.60 to 3.60 GHz, 6MB 45W "Ivy Bridge"

. 16GB (2x8192) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM SO-DIMM

. 256GB SATA III SSD Samsung 830 Series (MZ-7PC0256D/EU)

. Blu-ray Combo (Blu-Ray Read / DVD multi-standard) without Softw.

. Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (with Bluetooth)

. Basic Warranty: 24M. Pickup & Return | 6M. Immediate repair DE

. without an operating system

. Microsoft Office 2010 Starter (only when ordered and pre-installation of Windows 7)

. Backlit Keyboard SWEDISH

BR MN

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

This problem is not an isolated incident. I too am experiencing flickering using dual monitors from the HD4000 Graphics of an I7 3770k. I experience the screens flicker, both flicker (though not at the same time), at what appears at this point to be random times. Some times the picture will shift to appear a few centimeters off and then immediately will shift back to being normal. I hope some action will come out of this thread as it seems to be an issue that impacts motherboards from multiple providers.

Below is my build specification to assist intel in reproducing what I'm experiencing.

2X Asus Montiors VS228H-P R

SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG06BB-450 (450 Watt PSU)

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge BX80637I73770K

ASRock H77M-ITX LGA 1155 Motherboard

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (F3-1600C9D-16GAR)

OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G

and a second TB laptop drive for storage, if its important I can try to look it up.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I hate to chime in with a 'me too', but me too.

I just built a system this morning:

Asus P8Z77-I mini-itx motherboard

i7-3770K CPU

160GB Intel X-25M SSD, 2x256GB Samsung 830 SSD

2x8GB G.SKILL F3-1600

Dell U2711 2560x1440, connected via displayport

Dell 2405FPW 1920x1200, connected via DVI

HD4000 driver; 8.15.10.2696

Every 30 minutes or so, the U2711 display goes wonky. Sometimes it just goes black. Sometimes it goes mostly black with some colored pixels along the top. It seems to happen when I click on stuff. I've seen it several times in Chrome, and once while in LibreOffice Calc.

Haven't tried new drivers/bios yet. Going to go that route now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've updated all my drivers to the latest indicated by the Intel Driver Update tool -- graphics driver is at 8.15.10.2761. Still seeing the issue.

0 Kudos
plee21
Valued Contributor I

Hi

Try installing the Windows 8 drivers, these install fine on Windows 7 although you may get a security warning as I think they are only digitally signed for Windows 8, I've been using them for weeks and weeks with no issue, although I've never had a flicker here. Using 24" wide screen Dell monitor with DisplayPort and older monitor on DVI.

Regards

Phil

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Where do you find the Windows 8 drivers? And you're certain they run ok on Windows 7?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried the Windows 8 BIOS. Yikes. Rebooted, and both screens went blank. I rebooted into safe mode, and am now re-downloading the Windows 7 drivers.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1) Updated HD4000 driver to latest Win7 driver. No impact on the screen blanking problem.

2) Hard-coded my GPU Voltage in BIOS to 1.00V. No impact on the screen blanking problem.

3) Updated my motherboard BIOS to latest version. No impact on the screen blanking problem.

4) Updated driver to latest Win8 driver (on Win7). No display at all.

One thing I noticed; normally I see the issue every 10-15 minutes. But just for fun I downloaded and ran Passmark. Holy cow. Non-stop screen flickering, screen blanking.

I don't know how to convey any more strongly the significance of the issue than others here already have. Intel guys, if anyone is reading this thread, I work in VPG in RA2. If you're having any trouble reproducing the problem, please please contact me. I'd be happy to bring my machine in to work and you can reproduce it all day long. My nice new system is virtually a doorstop right now, and I haven't seen any progress on this issue in the several months that others have been posting about it here.

0 Kudos
plee21
Valued Contributor I

Hi

I got the Windows 8 drivers from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Processor+graphics&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000/2500&ProdId=3498&LineId=3310&FamilyId=39 Download Center

I've been using them since July on Windows 7 64bit, no problems at all, although I've never had the blanking issue anyway running an i7-3770 no matter what drivers.

Regards

Phil

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So, this was interesting; last night I updated to the Windows 8 driver, encountered issues with the display not working at all (went blank after the 'Starting Windows' splash screen), and then downgraded to the Windows 7 driver I had loaded previously.

After that downgrade, in about 2 hours of usage including a run of PassMark, I had no issues with the screens blanking out. It's way too early to declare victory, but that's the longest (by far) I can remember going without an 'episode'.

So my sequence was:

8.15.10.2696=> Displayport screen blanks out very frequently

8.15.10.2761=> Displayport screen blanks very frequently *and* DVI screen blinks frequently (blinking != blanking)

Win 8 Driver => Non-functional

8.15.10.2761=> 2 hours of bliss

I'll know more tonight.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

igxqrrl, any updates?

I've been able to run succesfully with the windows 8 64-bit drivers, however it failed to correct the screen flickering issue. I'm unsure of what the issue could be, and I'd love to hear something from intel regarding this. It seems like it must be an on-cpu graphics issue. When I stop using dual monitors it goes away. I tried running PassMark performance test and ran into an issue where it suggested I install the latest drivers. I do currently have the latest drivers. It would be nice to hear what intel is doing regarding this issue.

Below is the error messages I recieved when using 3d pass mark.

http://i.imgur.com/MmhjG.png http://i.imgur.com/MmhjG.png

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In the last couple days I have not had *any* blinking or blanking problems. Again, I'm using Win7 (not sure of the exact rev --) my driver flow was:

8.15.10.2696=> Displayport screen blanks out very frequently

8.15.10.2761=> Displayport screen blanks very frequently *and* DVI screen blinks frequently (blinking != blanking)

Win 8 Driver => Non-functional

8.15.10.2761=> NO PROBLEMS SO FAR!!

I ran the PassMark graphics test a couple times, and didn't get any symptoms. A couple nights ago I tried plugging in a third 24" monitor to my HDMI port. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like 3 monitors are supported, but the relevant point is that I didn't see any issues with DisplayPort + HDMI either.

So [knock on wood] my problems seem to be resolved. Hopefully this works for others as well

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi

I am having the same problem with my brand new Dell E6230

My setup is as follows:

- 2x Dell U2711 2560x1440 external displays, connected via DisplayPort on the newest Dell E-port plus port replicator

- Dell E6230 with i7-3520M, 16GB Ram, Samsung PM830 256GB SSD

- Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

- Intel HD 4000 Graphics (Driver 8.15.10.2712)

When using both monitors one or both of them often goes completely black. Other times, it goes black with some small (few pixels wide or tall) stripes of colored pixels (red is most noticeable) around the left and top edge of the screen.

To fix it I have to do one of the following:

- Undock and redock the laptop

- Unplug and replug the displayport cable

- Turn the monitor off and on

It never happens with only one monitor connected.

I have the newest BIOS (A02) for the laptop.

0 Kudos