Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20637 Discussions

Intel HD 4000 No Display after loading Windows 7

idata
Employee

I have a new build. Its a 3770k with an Asrock Fatal1ty Professional and 16Gb of Mushkin memory.

The computer has been working great all week. Then all of a sudden today after switching my display via a button on the front from VGA to DVI between my old rig and my new rig the screen no longer displays on my new rig. I also have 2 keyboards on my desk and may have hit a hot key and changed something, I'm not sure.

I have tried Windows Key + P to change to projection mode and get nothing.

After rebooting the screen works until after the windows 7 loading icon disapears then the screen goes into power save mode.

When booting into safemode the screen works fine.

When changing the resolution and then booting back out of safemode the screen does not load.

When deleting the Intel HD 4000 driver and restarting then the screen will load.

After reinstalling the Intel HD 4000 Driver the screen nolonger loads.

I don't know why its doing this but I am no longer able to use the HD 4000 with my intel driver installed. Which renders onboard video pretty much useless for anything but basic functions.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the driver and also the monitor and its driver as well.

Nothing seems to work.

Is there some kind of keyboard shortcut to change display ports? I'm currently on HDMI and my board has both HDMI and displayport. I have no way to test if its working with the display port. Also I am using an HDMI to DVI cable already.

This is just really odd seeing how everything was working preffectly fine then all of a sudden, nothing just blank.

I can hear the computer load, even the sound. I can even type and login, but I'm unable to see anything.

Also I have tried to set onboard video as default in my bios and still nothing will load as long as the Intel HD4000 driver is installed.

I have tried two different drivers versions, they both do the same thing.

Any suggestions would be greatfull thanks.

1 Solution
plee21
Valued Contributor I

Hi

It sounds like the driver has switched or lost track of which monitor is the default, so once it loads in Windows you lose the display.

Try removing your display completely and booting into Windows and try and log in (blind). Having no display connected might just get the drivers to re-evaluate what they need to do. Try plugging in your display once Windows is logged in, it should get detected and hopefully the drivers wil switch back to it.

If that doesn't help, try booting into safe mode, then from the start menu type msconfig, go to the Startup tab and remove the tick from the Intel Graphics application, then try rebooting in normal mode and see if it is okay now. If it is okay it will at least be running with the correct drivers and not in safe mode anymore, but you have lost the Intel utility to change settings, probably no bad thing.

The problem you have with uninstalling and reinstalling the HD driver is during uninstall it isn't clearing its settings, so once the driver goes back on, it picks up the same settings which results in it failing to send the video to your monitor.

If you are comfortable in doing so, uninstall the HD driver then browse the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software and see if you can find any entries for the Intel graphics, if yes rename the key (you could delete but renaming gives you the option of putting it back as it was). Also look in HKEY_LOCAL_USER. Then reinstall the driver and reboot.

Regards

Phil

View solution in original post

327 Replies
idata
Employee

@Yups Nope, haven't tried those yet. Am pulling them now, will feed back as soon as I know. It is kind of strange though, sometimes the error stays away for hours on end and other times it pops up every few seconds. It seems as if there is a certain part of the driver that causes the error which only gets accessed under certain conditions. Too bad it's not a full on crash so we can grab some logs for the guys at Intel. (unless there is a way and I just don't know it, pointers would be helpful. )

@kobashi Great minds think alike. What Mobo do you have? I have an Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 (Z68 chipset), am wondering if this issue occurs only on older generation boards with BIOS updates to support Gen3 processors. Anyone with a Panther Point board having similiar issues??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@deadlyembrace,

My mobo is ASUS P8Z77-V, branded with the newest Z77 chipset, latest BIOS updated.

But as your screen is sometimes producing a signal, I now think that we might have different issue. Yours might come from the video cable you're using.

Indeed, when I first changed for a full HD screen, the screen was flickering sometimes, not displaying anything the rest of the time. I had investigate a lot and I've found that the issue came from the DVI cable. I was using a single link cable that failed to produced a good signal. So I needed to buy a dual link cable to make it work perfectly

You can refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface# Connector Wikipedia to guess which one is yours

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@kobashi Mmmm... so much for that theory. Was worth a shot though.

Will look into the cable situation, I guess it's possible that my cable sucks since I got it for a song ages ago. Will be a cheaper "upgrade" than a gfx card too. [Edit: Just looked at the cable, it is indeed a single link. Will see if I can get a dual link one tomorrow]

@Lee I'm guessing here, but it is possible that your BIOS is set up so that the PCI-E device is the primary boot device. That would explain the blank screen that is shown before the Windows drivers kick in.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@deadlyembrace,

That's perfect ! Let me know if this had fix your issue !

I agree with your thoughts about Lee's issue,it may come from the selected video card

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No, I sure try ONLY "iGPU" and "Auto" in Asus BIOS and both selection have the same problem, no GUI info at load but again, after W7 loads I will have no problem and it is running absolutely fine, just like my Z68 SB set up, it is rock solid.

Btw, my problem here is with Asus P8Z77-V Premium MB with 3770K and it has tons of BIOS features available. I did try most if not all setting but still no luck.

I am very familiar with Asus set up and I am a SB user here for many years. I am pretty certain that it is some problem with the Intel drivers and when before W7 Intel driver loads up, it has some refresh rate problem. But compare to you guys, post problem, my pre problem I should better shut up and keep it quiet 🙂

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Looks as if I have this problem too. I built a system with an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard and i7-3770K CPU. I am using an HDMI to DVI-D cable. Windows 7 installed fine, and I have no problems seeing the UEFI and boot screens. But after the Asus setup CD loaded the Intel drivers and I rebooted, after the initial Windows animated boot logo, the screen goes blank and my monitor complains "no signal".

For now, I've thrown in an old PCI-e video card I had around, but I don't want that as a permanent solution. I will see if I can uninstall the Intel drivers, though I probably have to tell the BIOS to enable both displays.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, I didn't buy the cable (partly because I couldn't really find one and the one that I did find costs as much as a mid-range gfx card, which would be a better way to solve my problem if I had the cash) however my system seems to be stable. I've been using it for almost seven hours straight now and no black screen.

It seems as if the 9.17.10.2753 works, although it did black screen yesterday after I installed them. After that I simply rebooted into safe mode, wiped out the registry entries mentioned earlier (without uninstalling the driver) and haven't had any problems since. Maybe someone else can give this a try and provide feedback on the result?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem

The QS of Intel could need a little improvement ...

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I'm astonished that Asus didn't see this with the version of the driver they put on the support CD. I see references to a 9.x driver - where does one get that?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@jonat I guess it only happens under specific circumstances, these are the hardest bugs to find. My problems only showed up a week after I built my rig and sometimes they disappear for hours on end.

You can find links to the 9.x driver in /thread/29687 this thread.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I tried the 9.x drivers - no difference. Have also tried deleting the registry entries and reinstalling - no difference. Very frustrating,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

the same here...

the status as been set to solved whereas it's not.

by the way, intel, how long before the new driver to release ? thanks for giving us information about this issue

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel,

Please expedit and give us something to try soon. Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey

Just chiming in to say that i have the same problem as well.No signal after the win7 swirling logo.

Tried all win7 drivers i could get my hands on but to no avail. I am able to get a signal when using HDMI to HDMI on an old Sony TV but my Dell monitor won't give me a screen no matter what i tried.

Of note is that the first time it worked smoothly but the problem started when i had to re-install windows 7 (for another matter altogether).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

come on Intel, please communicate about this issue...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I agree. It is an annoying issue and make owning the card a complete pain...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

same problem with my new pc, no signal after booting, I use a HD2500 Intel graphic card, see my topic

very annoying issue! I think I'll buy a dedicated video card...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel just released a driver in the download center but based on the driver number it is not so new to me...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yup, seems like Intel deems the .2761 driver to be stable. I doubt if it'll be of any help though...?

At the moment I would advice using the 9.x driver instead.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did you mean the Toshiba one? I tried that but for some reasons it did not allow me to finish the installation and abot the installation...

0 Kudos