Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

Intel HD 4000 No Display after loading Windows 7

idata
Employee

I have a new build. Its a 3770k with an Asrock Fatal1ty Professional and 16Gb of Mushkin memory.

The computer has been working great all week. Then all of a sudden today after switching my display via a button on the front from VGA to DVI between my old rig and my new rig the screen no longer displays on my new rig. I also have 2 keyboards on my desk and may have hit a hot key and changed something, I'm not sure.

I have tried Windows Key + P to change to projection mode and get nothing.

After rebooting the screen works until after the windows 7 loading icon disapears then the screen goes into power save mode.

When booting into safemode the screen works fine.

When changing the resolution and then booting back out of safemode the screen does not load.

When deleting the Intel HD 4000 driver and restarting then the screen will load.

After reinstalling the Intel HD 4000 Driver the screen nolonger loads.

I don't know why its doing this but I am no longer able to use the HD 4000 with my intel driver installed. Which renders onboard video pretty much useless for anything but basic functions.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the driver and also the monitor and its driver as well.

Nothing seems to work.

Is there some kind of keyboard shortcut to change display ports? I'm currently on HDMI and my board has both HDMI and displayport. I have no way to test if its working with the display port. Also I am using an HDMI to DVI cable already.

This is just really odd seeing how everything was working preffectly fine then all of a sudden, nothing just blank.

I can hear the computer load, even the sound. I can even type and login, but I'm unable to see anything.

Also I have tried to set onboard video as default in my bios and still nothing will load as long as the Intel HD4000 driver is installed.

I have tried two different drivers versions, they both do the same thing.

Any suggestions would be greatfull thanks.

1 Solution
plee21
Valued Contributor I

Hi

It sounds like the driver has switched or lost track of which monitor is the default, so once it loads in Windows you lose the display.

Try removing your display completely and booting into Windows and try and log in (blind). Having no display connected might just get the drivers to re-evaluate what they need to do. Try plugging in your display once Windows is logged in, it should get detected and hopefully the drivers wil switch back to it.

If that doesn't help, try booting into safe mode, then from the start menu type msconfig, go to the Startup tab and remove the tick from the Intel Graphics application, then try rebooting in normal mode and see if it is okay now. If it is okay it will at least be running with the correct drivers and not in safe mode anymore, but you have lost the Intel utility to change settings, probably no bad thing.

The problem you have with uninstalling and reinstalling the HD driver is during uninstall it isn't clearing its settings, so once the driver goes back on, it picks up the same settings which results in it failing to send the video to your monitor.

If you are comfortable in doing so, uninstall the HD driver then browse the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software and see if you can find any entries for the Intel graphics, if yes rename the key (you could delete but renaming gives you the option of putting it back as it was). Also look in HKEY_LOCAL_USER. Then reinstall the driver and reboot.

Regards

Phil

View solution in original post

327 Replies
idata
Employee

Yup, indeed.

For me it installed on the first try. I thought it a little strange as Toshiba drivers normally only install on Toshiba hardware. Did you install it over the previous drivers or did you first uninstall the Intel ones?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Uninstalled and install and kick back and I end up install the preious one

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

8.15.10.2761 is the newest 15.26 driver for Windows 7. 15.28 drivers are officially available for Windows 8 only currently, but they can be installed on Windows 7. It's worth a try.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

can't wait to try after work from home. thanks Yups

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was having this same issue with my new rig (I7 3770K) with Asus MB P8Z77-V LK.

I followed Phil_L's suggestion about plugging in the monitor. This MB has 3 video output ports - DVI, VGA and HDMI. I was using only the DVI port and like others described here, everything worked fine (after installing the Intel driver) all the way through the Windows swirling logo, then the screen would go black and nothing was displayed.

So I plugged in the VGA cable (my monitor supports both DVI and VGA) and wallah - it works. So for some reason the Intel driver is selecting the VGA output port on this MB in favor of the DVI output port. I haven't figured out a way to get the driver to use the DVI port yet. I checked the UEFI BIOS settings and they are set to use iGP by default but there isn't a setting for the output port to use.

Any other ideas? In the meantime I'll just continue to use the VGA port. Thank you.

idata
Employee

i think the only thing u can do is reporting the bug to asus and intel and wait for it to be fixed, just like I did.

i've tried anything one's can imagine with no success.... i was hoping the latest intel driver to fix this but it has not.

@deadlyembrace, is it working fine by now? not need to buy a 50$ cable, u can just grab the cheapest it wil do the job perfectly. I've grabbed mine at amazon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It seems my PC has stabilized, only got a black screen yesterday and it recovered itself immediately (with no trouble afterwards).

That is true, I just hoped I might be able to get a cheap one in town but I was wrong. I've seen cheap ones on the web though, just haven't gotten around to ordering one yet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

(For start Sry for my bad english )i got a similar issue on windows 7 the windows boot is super slow, till the Starting windows to the welcome screen it tooks like 20 secs ona black screen but on windows 8 the boot is fast (normal) dont stop , on the windows 7 if i remove the intel dirver the boot runs fine but the nvidia driver/app stay unstable :s

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem. After Win 7 loads, only one monitor has active display. The other goes black.

My setup is:

i7-3770K

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

16GB RAM

Win 7 x64

Latest BIOS and Intel drivers

I tried various solutions offered here. Nothing seems to work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tried Intel latest beta driver and got my dual monitors working. These are for Win 8, but seem to be working with Win7 also.

For x86: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21235 Download Center

For x64: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21180 Download Center

EDIT:

After about 2 hours of running time, I lost the second monitor again. After re-installing drivers, everything is working. Second monitor reappears in the middle of installation progress (I think it's after creating new registry entries).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your testimony. I was so happy reading you at first ! As Intel do not communicate about this, I think it might be a hardware issue...

INTEL PLEASE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE !!!! Nearly 3 months now and not even a single news about this !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Now this is really weird. Probably hard to believe. But here goes.

I have my PC, monitors, two external hdd-s and a desk lamp all plugged into the same electrical socket. APC Surgearrest goes into the socket and everything else is connected into Surgearrest. When I switch my desk lamp off, second monitor goes black.

I can post a video, if you have hard time believing it. Just tested it three times in a row. Reinstalled the drivers, second monitor starts working, switched the lamp off and second monitor goes black. Switched the lamp back on, reinstalled, and monitor starts working. Switched lamp off, monitor goes black.

PSU is Seasonic X750, monitors are Samsung SyncMaster 2343BW, desk lamp is some noname 10y old model.

I think the power adapter on my desk lamp is failing. It was almost too hot to touch.

I'll try to do some measurements to see if it's emitting any harmonics, RF noise etc. But to be frank, I have no idea why switching the lamp off results in loosing the second monitor.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Wow that is bizarre. Have you tried bypassing the APC and just using a power strip to power your PC and monitors?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So now I have my PC, HDD-s, monitors behind APC. Lamp is in separate socket. No problems.

Also I noticed, that switching the lamp off affects the second monitor only if the lamps adapter is hot (ie lamp has been on for hours). I haven't had time to further test my lamps adapter.

But using 15.28.0.2792 drivers, my Samsung SyncMaster 2342BW monitors are working. Second monitor (the one with black screen) is connected via HDMI. DVI connections has always been working.

In the beginning I tried VGA, got the picture, but was unable to set native resolution (2048x1152). Didn't try DP for second monitor. I did try DP for connecting third monitor (same 2343BW), but couldn't get it working. As I understand, HD 4000 should support three monitors.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Soo... Samsung Syncmaster BX2335, connected to DVI port on mobo. No success with new driver.

At the very moment, I have the driver installed, and GF8800gts in my PCIE port, display is connected to DVI port on the card - works fine. After booting I get windows prompts (3 times) if I want to run various intel exe's. (igfxtray, hkcmd, igfxpers). Having them started does not change a thing. (also, no tray appears in systray).

The BIOS settings are:

Defualt display - auto (checked with iGPU here as well)

Multi display setting is now enabled (tested with disabled as well - no effect)

All OC settings are set to default.

Also, I took a quick look into registry, and found...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\Display\igfxcui\igfxsrvc - there is entry called "adaptertype", it is set to 0. Is adaptertype value responsible for video output? Somthing like 0 - vga, 1 - dvi, 2 - hdmi, etc? Tried changing this value, but it seems to be forced to 0 after each reboot.

also, same key, value "Modeselectionpolicy" set to 1... automatic/manual?

It would be nice if someone who got his hd4000 graphics working on port other than dvi could check what values are set on working driver.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Jakub,, are you saying you have a Nvidia GF8800gts installed in the system?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just to be perfectly clear - I perform all my tests without graphics card, with only cpu and ram installed on the mobo. After I had verified that the new driver doesn't work, with every possible BIOS setting I had found relevant, I put my gf8800gts back into mootherboard to get any graphic performance at all.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Why is intel taking so long to respond? Don't force me to buy a separate graphics card, and make me regret buying intel,

In my case, screen goes black but comes on after several seconds. This happens several times and completely goes away after an hour or so. Tried oem & intel drivers, windows update. Test with dvi and vga cables. No luck.

i5-2400

asrock h67-ge

2 x 4GB ram

crucial m4 128GB

win7 64bit

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've found a "solution": I have bought a dedicated video card... (a Sapphire Radeon HD6450 for only 35 euros). So finally I haven't this problem.

I think it's the only solution, even if intel solves this bug, I don't want to have again this problem in the future!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a dream ..., intel would come out and say they sold a faulty product, and we can all move on and buy a separate graphics card.

Back to the real world, I just noticed this thread is marked answered. This black screen problem is far from being fixed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi All,

Just bought an i5-3570K with a Gigabyte Z77-D3H motherboard and I am also having this problem. I have downloaded and tried the latest drivers from the website today, but this has not fixed the issue. I have tried the fix that phil_l has posted but it has not worked. The whole point in buying the i5-3570K was so I would not have to purchase a GFX card. This is a serious issue that needs addressing asap.

Any chance of an update Intel?

Thanks.

0 Kudos