Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Intel HD 4000 - No multiple displays available

THoff4
Novice

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad (Edge Series) running Windows 7. It took quite an effort to get it connected successfully to my TV via HDMI (there's a port on the TV and the computer). For quite some time, when I connected the two, both screens went black. I finally stumbled on the solution, which seemed to be dependent on turning on the TV after the connection was made. I was able to duplicate the desktop so both screens displayed.

Following the latest Windows Updates a couple of days ago, I'm back where I started. When I connect the TV, both screens go dark. This makes it impossible to select the Duplicate option in Windows. However, I suspect the computer is connected, as the "No Signal" message on the TV disappears. It seems to me that the problem lies in my laptop screen going dark. But that's just a guess.

The Intel HD4000 Control Panel does not offer multiple displays and never has. I have updated the Lenovo system and the BIOS. My driver for the Intel HD4000 is up to date.

I know this has come up before in other threads. The fact that the laptop display goes black when the TV is connected makes it impossible to troubleshoot the connection (though I'm not sure what or how to troubleshoot).

The HDMI cable worked just fine, until a couple of days ago.

Can anyone help? It's a maddening problem.

Thanks!

12 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Slideguy, thanks for joining the Intel Community.

Please let me know something, are you trying to connect 2 TV to your Lenovo system or just one TV?

Can you try doing a system restore to the latest working stage?

Regards,

0 Kudos
THoff4
Novice

Hello Sylvia ~ Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to connect to just 1 TV. I tried doing a system restore, but Windows 7 gave me grief - a message about turning off my virus protection. I tried that and it failed again. Online material suggested I try it in Safe Mode. That's when I ran into the Windows 7 absence of Safe Mode -- unless you tap your finger continuously while booting up. Then you get a familiar menu of commands, including Safe Mode.

I will give it a try, but from the reading I've done in other forums, it doesn't work. And if Windows Updates caused the problem to recur, I'm a sitting duck for it to happen again.

I'll try System Restore and see what happens and report it back here.

Thanks gain

0 Kudos
THoff4
Novice

This is my first time doing a system restore on this computer. I discovered that Windows deletes the System Restore files and creates a new SR Point every day!

So I'm hooped as far as that goes, I guess. And here I sit, waiting patiently for someone to have the answer. Well, trying to be patient.

SG

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Would you please attach the DX Diag report for your system as soon as possible in order to check some information from your system? (Start -> Run -> dxdiag -> Save All Information).

0 Kudos
THoff4
Novice

Here it is, Sylvia. Again, thanks for helping!

------------------

System Information

------------------

0 Kudos
THoff4
Novice

Hi Sylvia,

I installed the driver, but it didn't fix the problem. Still two black screens.

When I read this page:http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031040.htm Multiple Displays Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) I see 3 settings for multiple displays, and instructions on how to enable clone, extended or 3-display modes. None of these settings are available to me. The Operating Mode drop-down menu lists Single Display with a check mark, and Primary Display is the built-in display, and that's it.

Any idea why I only have Single Display? That seems to be a fundamental problem.

I did some reading on this forum and found a thread from last year where you were helping someone with a similar problem. You advised him to reinstall the graphics driver. I've already done that once today, but thought to do it again.

Then I used the Windows Key + P to Extend the display. A bubble popped up on the taskbar with a message about using an 800 x 600 if I wanted to Clone. That's the first time I've seen that message. I went to the Intel HD Control Panel, and to my surprise, I saw a different screen. (See image)

I clicked apply and was asked to save the settings, which I did.

I connected the HDMI cord to the laptop and turned on the TV. The laptop screen went black. Same for the TV.

I revisited the Intel HD Control Panel. Once again, it was showing only a single display. (See image below.)

I don't know how to interpret this, but something sure is wrong!

0 Kudos
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Since you have tried the latest drivers from the Lenovo* and the issues persist, you can try with the generic version of the driver, please Note:

These software drivers are generic versions and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided by your system manufacturer. Intel and the computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may not provide technical support for some or all issues that could arise from the usage of this generic version of software drivers.

You can download the drivers in the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=3rd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000 Intel® Download Center

If these do not work, you should contact Lenovo* directly for more troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
THoff4
Novice

Thanks,Siberio. I've downloaded the driver, but before I install it, I'm wondering if in the event there's a problem using, I can reinstall the HD 4000 driver afterwards? I'm not sure what advice I can expect from Lenovo, if any.

0 Kudos
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Before trying any driver, it is best to remove the older drivers first by uninstalling them through add/remove programs. There would be no problem if you need to switch back to the HD 4000.

0 Kudos
THoff4
Novice

I did that,Siberio. But in the end, the fix was simple - and a bit mystifying. I connected the laptop to a friend's TV. Initially, there was no signal when it was set to duplicate. I set it to extend, and my friend instructed me to drag my mouse from one screen to the other. And then my desktop appeared on the TV screen. I brought it back to my TV, and it worked.

I have no idea why the laptop screen didn't go black when I connected it to my friend's TV, but after that, it has worked fine.

Thanks to Siberio and Sylvia for trying to help me through this.

Terry

0 Kudos
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Thanks for sharing the outcome; we appreciate your feedback since this will help other users.

0 Kudos