Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD 620 Graphics No HDMI Input

Mattjn82
Beginner

I have a Gigabyte brix gb-bri7h-8550 i7 barebone system with the Intel HD 620 integrated graphics. It was happily using extended display using HDMI and display port for over a year then one day the extended display stopped working. Now the monitor on HDMI port will not display when booting into windows. The boot screens display ok but as soon as windows starts it stops and goes to the display port screen. Strangely both monitors are detected in windows and you can change which monitor is 1 or 2 etc. I have checked the settings for extended display and also tried different resolutions and refresh rates for the screens.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics driver to the latest version. All windows updates have been done. I have even tried upgrading to windows 11 over the top of 10 but still the same issue remains. If I leave the graphics as the basic driver the HDMI screen works so it is an issue with windows not allowing the HDMI to display with the Intel graphics driver.

My last resort is wiping the machine clean and doing a clean install but I do not want to have to do this as its a pain reloading everything and I have a second machine (identical hardware) doing the same thing. We have 11 of these computers so if they all get this issue at some point I do not want to have to reload from scratch for each one.

I have also used a restore point before a windows update once this issue started and the problem still remained.

Has anyone had a similar issue and found a solution without having to reload windows from scratch?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Mattjn82

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Based on the troubleshooting provided, this doesn't seem to be an issue with the graphics or drivers. Since this is a Gigabyte PC you have to check with them first for hardware/software support or check with Microsoft if the issue could be related to the OS. We can only recommend driver updates or versions but you already tried that.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

Multi-monitor configuration settings are stored in the Windows registry and are used by Windows Display Manager. Microsoft Corp. can tell you how to repair it.

Alx24.

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

You can always use internal universal "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" of Windows for simple testing without radical update main driver.

Alx24.

0 Kudos
Mattjn82
Beginner

Thank you for your replies.

The HDMI screen works with Windows Basic Drivers, but you cannot use extended displays with it.

As soon as I install any version of the graphics driver the HDMI screens stops working again but the display port screen always works.

It seems something to do with the driver and windows not allowing the HDMI port to get a input signal even though it works with basic drivers.

Windows knows the second screen it there when the driver is installed just has no input. I have tried different monitors and HDMI cables too.

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

And which driver did you install?

For pre built systems I never use the Intel drivers... I prefer to use those from my maker... (just that's what I like)...

I would say to complete uninstall the driver and install the one from Gigabyte... I'm not sure if this is the one (I found it using what I believe the system model is but you mixed CPU model there...)

[23.20.16.4849]

Megan ❤

0 Kudos
Mattjn82
Beginner

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the Gigabyte drivers but I will try again after removing the current ones with the DDU program.

I will let you know how it goes 🙂

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

Specialized device drivers perform a limited number of functions
management of specialized equipment and everything else is performed
at the operating system level, for example, coordinating the work of several graphics
adapters and monitors.

If you use the windows program regedit.exe you can see the related
control information in sections

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors

Designations like

"VSC5138VSY210300165_03_07E5_E1^77EF60D70B7DB48DC5F5E4F5F08F3647"

"GSM000116843009_01_07DB_E2^EAAC0E9D4A87264C055076246FC4A8BA"

"SAM01E5HMEYC02628_33_07D5_B1^7D97A56C2B69324B7B1F51E8625B82CB"

correspond to the displays and are formed from the EDID of the display transmitted to the computer

and in the first case it is the ViewSonic monitor, in the second GoldStar (LG) in the third Samsung

The monitors themselves, as devices are presented in

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY

for species names

VSC5138

GSM0001

SAM01E5

There is also their EDID, which before Windows 11 was represented by one 128 bytes block and in Windows 11 completely

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Class Display

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Class Monitor

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses

DeviceClasses

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BasicDisplay

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\igfxCUIService2.0.0.0

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\igfxLP

Drivers and modules are digitally signed so their uncontrolled invisible changes are unbelievable

the data in the registry is modifiable and from all of the above it follows that to create

the updated display configuration needs to start with easily and completely safely connect other displays and this will create new ones

registry entries that may not contain errors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The simplest multi-monitor configuration is Clone Mode ( Double ) in which

frame buffer simply carries over to two displays with the same screen resolution. In case of different resolutions

you have to perform calculations to find the best general resolution that leads

to different aspect ratios of image and screen, etc. and much more complex settings

You can display the image only on one of the displays, change the purpose of the monitor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device drivers contain .inf files that are copied to

directory C:\Windows\INF

named OEMxx.inf and components are sent to directory

C:\Windows\System32\drivers

At the same time, in a form suitable for subsequent installation, they are also stored in

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

if all driver components are not completely deleted when the driver is uninstalled.

Thus, you can always find the original working drivers originally installed by the system manufacturer.

The sequence of OEMxx.INF numbers and dates reflects the installation sequence of hardware drivers.

For the video adapter, the corresponding file contains the string "Class=Display"

it also contains the names of the modules by which you can find the corresponding folder in

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

in addition there are also files with the extension LOG

setupapi.setup.log

setupapi.dev.log

setupapi.upgrade.log

The setupapi.setup.log or similar file contains the entire sequence of installing hardware drivers on your computer
including computer manufacturer operations.

Graphics drivers in Windows are among a small number of fairly modern device
and very compact.

Alx24.

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

Also, the configuration may be absolutely correct but may lack any system resources
( memory, performance for Extended Desktop ) so you can try it at lower resolutions.

Alx24.

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

In a dual-monitor configuration, if you pull out the cable of one of the displays, it should automatically
switch to the mode of one display - one or the other.
There is "Multiple displays", button "Detect".

Alx24.

0 Kudos
Mattjn82
Beginner

Hi, thank you for your replies.

When i take out the working monitor cable from the display port the screen on the HDMI still does not work. It sees to be something with the HDMI and the graphics driver. it was working fine for over a year then stopped.

The HDMI works if its just windows basic driver but as soon as the graphics driver is installed it stops displaying and says no input.

It is very frustrating.

I have used the DDU program to remove the graphics driver and reinstalled different versions to try but as soon as the driver is on the HDMI stops again.

It seems to be something with windows/graphics driver stopping the HDMI displaying.

Any further help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

You can always take a brand new drive, a disk with enough space for the system, or a partition of the currently used disk and install Windows and any graphics drivers in it and experiment and not affect the running system in any way.

Alx24.

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

Windows Basic Driver works in a completely different way than a regular display driver, I believe, through the universal very reliable VESA modes of the video card. In this case, you can try to simply connect other monitors through a simple USB-HDMI connector, USB-DisplayPort.

Alx24.

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

Mini PC GB-BRi7H-8550 has an HDMI 2.0 interface that does not have Intel® Core™ Quad Core i7-8550U ( only HDMI 1.4 )
and is provided by an external LS-Pcon. Here you can also use USB-C - HDMI, USB-C - DisplayPort.

Alx24.

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

Attachment is here

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BRi7H-8550-rev-10#ov

And Wireless Display Adapter is also possible ( with care ).

Alx24.

0 Kudos
Alx24
New Contributor II

In this case, it does not matter at all, but it is worth noting that the HDMI interface also serves to transmit
sound and this can also be paid attention to when connecting a TV or display with an audio channel.

Alx24.

0 Kudos