Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 3000/2000 (Sandy bridge) Windows 10 Graphics Driver support?

nkef
Novice

According to http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm Graphics Drivers — Supported Operating Systems there is no support of Intel HD Graphics 3000 for Windows 10.

When the support for Windows 10 for Intel HD Graphics 3000 will arrive?

Will be the new WDDM 2.0 driver model be supported for Intel HD Graphics 3000 for Windows 10?

Thanks,

nkef

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Please check Windows Update. It is included in the Control Panel in Windows. To check for updates: Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

There is an inbox Graphics driver which has been provided to Microsoft* to enable Windows 10* for 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000/etc. (Sandy Bridge). If your computer is capable, Windows Update should update the Graphics driver. No further Intel Graphics drivers will be provided for Sandy Bridge.

Edit details: fixed trademarking errors and eliminated acronyms that not all users could understand (e.g. WU = Windows Update, SNB = SandyBridge).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
135 Replies
FHila
Beginner

So why Asus ask me to update my laptop if they know that some hardwares will not be compatible ?

Sandy Bridge aka Intel HD Graphics 3000 works and drivers are available on Windows Update : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25027/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Beta-Driver-for-Windows-10 Intel® Download Center

The only problem is that this driver use WDDM 1.2 and not 2.0 like the second NVIDIA graphic card driver, this difference make this two drivers incompatible.

@allan_intel I already know about this link but this page has been updated the 06-Jan-2015, in other words 6 months before the launch of Windows 10 final version, and why there is beta drivers if they don't support it ???

0 Kudos
AKell6
Beginner

Hi,

On my Dell Precision M6700 with Windows 10. Intel GPU driver is WDDM 1.3 and NVIDIA driver is WDDM 2.0. Optimus works fine despite this difference. Don't worry about it.

0 Kudos
FHila
Beginner

You have a 4th generation Intel® Core™ Processors mine is a 2nd generation... You are not concerned by this !

0 Kudos
FHila
Beginner

I found a temporary solution, it seems that HDMI output is not affected by the bug because it only use the NVIDIA card, so I switch my primary screen to the HDMI one perhaps it works with DVI output but I can't test it at this time.

0 Kudos
JMads4
Beginner

I have the same problem with my laptop, the driver fails and I'm stuck with windows generic driver 1024x768.

How can you develop a failing BETA driver, and stop supporting it. I'm sure it's a small issue for you, and you know exactly what the problem is, so please Intel, you must act on this.

regards

SCham1
Beginner

Hey Here is what has worked for me on two Dell Laptops both with 3000 graphics and Windows 10. I updated the bios with the latest from Dell. I could restart and it would got through the boot up process but the screen would go black or blank right before login and I would put in stand by then wake up and would work. Tried every driver I could find from Dell and Intel for the chip then updated the BIOS and worked like a charm. One was a Dell N5050 with a B950 and the other an Inspiron with a I3-2310m. So far so good might wanna try I ran into this thread looking for an answer thought I would try to share some info. Good Luck.

Dwhoc
Beginner

First off just to register here is like pulling teeth WOW!!! Intel you might not care about your customers like myself and I know I am VERY upset if you don't create a driver for this graphic version . My laptop isn't that old were it can't install windows 10 . If fact I do have windows 10 installed but I would prefer a driver for my graphic instead of Windows ones

ADavi16
Beginner

I'm trying to decide on sticking with Windows 8.1 or move on to Windows 10. I just recently purchased an HP Elite Book 8460p with Intel HD 3000 graphics. I am a little concerned as to weather I wasted my money on buying that laptop. The HD 3000 has no support for windows 10. Now I could use a 8.1 driver, wddm 1.2, but what specifically am I losing out on if I go with that driver?? Intel, I plead with you to do whatever you can to bring back support for the HD 3000 graphics this one last time. Sandy bridge is still a good cpu, please don't leave us high and dry. Hear our pleas. There are allot of sandybridge laptops / desktops out there. Please do something for us to make support for the HD 3000 one last time. Windows 10 is the most significant Windows OS yet. Let us have one last ride on Sandybridge for us HD 3000 users. Please do what you can. We would be so grateful.

gbhj
New Contributor I

so there are 3 options

1. return to windows 8

2. use the microsoft basic render device (currently it is only suports openGL 1.0 and directx 9) however the linux driver can be ported to windows allowing more openGL support

3. try adding the intel HD 3000 to the 3500 driver .inf if the HD 3000 code is still present in the driver this will work

VMari1
Beginner

zeqzy

1. I'd rather not

2. the microsoft basic render can't even support widescreen.. and doesn't solve the issue. On the contrary, I can't change brighness at all (with the intel driver I have two settings max and somewhat medium, the same as with linux generic driver for intel gpus).

3. I tried (and had to disable drive signature to do so) but it didn't work

0 Kudos
WFeir
Beginner

So I had a chat with Intel support yesterday. Not very helpful. Below is the conversation. Does anyone know how involved making a graphics driver is?

Fred: Hello. My name is Fred and I'll be helping you today.

You: Hello Fred. Will you please ask the appropriate department to develop HD 3000 Graphics drivers for windows 10. I have a great laptop that works great except no driver support for win 10.

Fred: hi

Fred: graphics drivers for Intel HD Graphics 3000 are provided by Microsoft* through Windows* Update

You: Many people have these HD 3000 graphics and need win 10 drivers!

Reuben: Hello. My name is Reuben and I'll be helping you today.

You: I have the latest updates from Microsoft and my Intel graphics does not work properly

You: Will you please ask the appropriate department to develop HD 3000 Graphics drivers for windows 10. I have a great laptop that works great except no driver support for win 10. Many people have these HD 3000 graphics and need win 10 drivers!

Reuben: graphics drivers for Intel HD Graphics 3000 are provided by Microsoft* through Windows* Update

You: I have the latest updates from Microsoft and my Intel graphics does not work properly

You: Do you know what the latest update is for the HD 3000

Reuben: I regret to inform you that Intel has not developed and will not release a new Intel graphics driver for your Intel® graphics controller for Windows 10.

You can confirm that in the following link

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm

So in your case, our best suggestion is to downgrade the operating system to the previous version it was using, and then, get the proper drivers for it.

You: Why not? Many people use these graphics- Can a request be put in for them to reconsider?

Reuben: because it is about to get discontinued

You: Very disappointing I have a lot of PC with Intel products-

Reuben: I understand that your point but it is our of our hands

Reuben: what you can do is stick to Windows 8.1

You: My laptop is Win 7 and I want to take advantage of the benefits of Win 10. Please share my concerns with upper management. How difficult is it to create new drivers?

0 Kudos
VMari1
Beginner

HD3000 is just a 2011 design. It's not even discontinued yet, jut "about to be". So a driver update is in order, IMO!!!

but they're looking to save a penny..

and making a very poor figure in the process

Maybe people change a discrete VGA more often, but they should have learned from their previous chipset graphics that integrated GPUs are very rarely updated.

They should have thought about that before putting a GPU in every i5! People ain't going to change CPU and motherboard just to have updated drivers for the VGA! Those GPUs have to be supported for more than just 4 years!!

Take example from AMD and NVIDIA, who provide updated drivers even for old products from 2009

0 Kudos
WFeir
Beginner

I agree its 2011 design not 2005.

If this was my desk top CPU I would SAY SCREW IT and buy a graphics card. This is my laptop so I'm stuck! Just updated to an SSD too- it runs great except the stupid video! VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!

HOPEFULLY ENOUGH PEOPLE WILL COMPLAIN AND THEY WILL PROVIDE SOME DRIVERS!

0 Kudos
DCena
Beginner

Yeah, so, my laptop works perfectly for what I want it to do, yet there is no plan to update the drivers? If this is some kind of veiled hint for SandyBridge users to go out and spend money on your more recent products, it's not going to work.

Please update the driver for Windows 10, and if not, at least give a proper explanation as to why you're not doing it rather than the corporate "we have no plans" rubbish.

0 Kudos
NPiri
New Contributor I

Truly disappointing and frustrating that Intel won't be making any Win10 specific drivers for Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 chipsets and my family's Dell Inspiron 620 desktop PC uses Intel HD Graphics 2000 hardware (and Dell has NOT tested the Inspiron 620 computer for Windows 10 compatibility as they have confirmed on their web site). I'll stick with Win7 for a while on the Dell computer.

Problem is not limited to Intel. PC Manufacturer Lenovo decided not to provide Win10 drivers (nor provide Win10 support) on certain computers that contain hardware including those that do have Sandy Bridge hardware on there. See here:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535 https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535

The following configurations, devices and components are NOT supported:

• Intel 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors (Sandy Bridge)
  • Intel 4th generation Intel® Core™ processors (Haswell) for 32-bit OS configurations
  • Intel 5th generation Intel® Core™ processors (Broadwell) for 32-bit OS configurations

at least Lenovo had the guts to say this on their web site.

0 Kudos
ADavi16
Beginner

Actually guys, I thought about it. Not having official Windows 10 drivers isn't that big of a deal. I've recently learned that Windows 10 is very intrusive, has allot of data mining functions that can be used in an intrusive manor. If anything this helps to disway people away from Windows 10 for thoes that know about this horrible feature and lack of privacy. Microsoft provides a driver only for the sole purpose to get as many poor souls to install Windows 10 as possible so they can data mine everyone. That's the real reason it is free for now. I'm thinking of going back to Win 8.1. It's not that big of a deal anyways. 8.1 has support till 2020. Sandybridge will be an antique by then and most people would have bought a new laptop. So think of it this way guys, Intel is doing us a favor in a way, even though the principal sucks due to lack of support.

0 Kudos
TSkon
Beginner

H/W: Dell Vostro 3350

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 / AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series

Driver: 9.17.10.4229 / 15.200.1062.1004

CPU: Intel Core i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz

On default W10 Intel drivers for HD 3000 there was no support for Intel QSV (insane fast hardware H264 encoding in short, e.g. below result after applying new drivers):

[13:07:32] work: average encoding speed for job is 271.954529 fps.

For me the solution was to replace default Windows 10 Intel drivers for HD 3000 (provided by M$ via Windows Update) and replace them with customized ones for HD 3000:

"Catalyst UnifL – Catalyst Unified Leshcat Drivers" [ http://leshcatlabs.net/unifl-unified-leshcat-drivers/ http://leshcatlabs.net/unifl-unified-leshcat-drivers/ ]

Since then QSV encoding in Handbrake and q264 in Windows 10 works like a charm !

Results:

Handbrake:

HandBrake Nightly 20150924194455-e7912cc-master (2015092401) - 64bit Version

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz

Ram: 16291 MB,

GPU Information:

AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series - 15.200.1062.1004

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 - 9.17.10.4229

Screen: 1366x768

Temp Dir: C:\Users\tskon\AppData\Local\Temp\

Install Dir: C:\Program Files\HandBrake

Data Dir: C:\Users\tskon\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake Team\HandBrake\0.0.0.0

-------------------------------------------

# Starting Scan ...

[12:34:43] CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz

[12:34:43] - Intel microarchitecture Sandy Bridge

[12:34:43] - logical processor count: 4

[12:34:53] OpenCL device # 1: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Caicos

[12:34:53] - OpenCL version: 1.2 AMD-APP (1800.8)

[12:34:53] - driver version: 1800.8 (VM)

[12:34:53] - device type: GPU

[12:34:53] - supported: YES

[12:34:53] Intel Quick Sync Video support: yes

[12:34:53] - Intel Media SDK hardware: API 1.4 (minimum: 1.3)

[12:34:53] - H.264 encoder: yes

[12:34:53] - preferred implementation: hardware (any)

[12:34:53] - capabilities (hardware): vsinfo opt1

[12:34:53] - H.265 encoder: no

Q264:

C:\Program Files (x86)\q264>q264.exe -info

2015-09-28 13:18:49.512: Info: Main: Build: q264 Version 0.4.4 Built: Apr 29 2015 11:00:33

2015-09-28 13:18:49.824: Info: Main: Intel HD graphics driver: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

2015-09-28 13:18:49.825: Info: Main: Intel HD driver version: 9.17.10.4229

2015-09-28 13:18:49.826: Info: Main: CPU Caps: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX,

2015-09-28 13:18:51.824: Info: Main: Highest Quick Sync hardware API version: 1.4

2015-09-28 13:18:51.825: Info: Main: Highest software API version: 1.9

For those having Intel HD 3000 with NVidia or just Intel HD 3000 - there is no need to apply AMD Catalyst drivers - you just run Leshcat installer to uninstall pack of drivers (AMD + Intel) and later just install Intel ones (manually or via setup.exe).
0 Kudos
WFeir
Beginner

So after updating my Acer Laptop to Win 10 this weekend I found this post because I too have the HD Graphics 3000 and experiencing poor resolution issues.

Is it that hard to make drivers that will work with Win10?

Come on Intel there must be many of us with these issues. Please provide some drivers. I don't want to go back to Win 7 but don't want to go blind either!

0 Kudos
ALec
Beginner

I updated to windows 10 unaware that my HD Graphics Sandy bridge was not fully supported in windows 10. My desktop was working fine on windows 10 using the drivers provided by Microsoft update. However, I rent into issues with Nero platinum 2014.

No bluray playback anymore, message given by nero bluray player: Unsupported format. Also, Nero video was not able to playback video, only audio, no more video editing. No error message, only black screen. I did not test any games, I suppose that games requiring graphics hardware acceleration probably won't work to.

Anyway, I saw the Intel OS compatibility chart telling that this accelerator was not supported in Windows 10. Really Intel? Why? My PC is probably still more powerful than the average PC sold today in most superstore and you won't support this?

Just to make sure that it was related to the graphics HD, I had on hands a nvidia GTX560. I put it in my PC. Problem solved. Nero is working fine no more video playback issues.

So I hope that Intel will reconsider and make a fully compatible driver for windows 10. Otherwise, you will have a lot of unhappy customers.

0 Kudos
YHida
Beginner

OK, my windows updated to win 10, then i found this. i'm using TP X220, microsoft said it's OK to upgrade but after upgrade i feel its very poor performance graphic. Even after update windows.

Please Intel..why you broke many hearts. I think a lot people still have this graphic.

Do we must create a petition to make you sure that many people asking for driver intel HD 3000 Graphic for win10 ?

Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Allan.

0 Kudos